Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

25 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

Construction of the Plenty hydro warehouse is going strong! 

Oh wowww!!! How cool is this!! Great video, too. Very impressive. Where specifically is this being built?

Man - and if Plenty is being viewed nationwide, it's even more excellent pub for RVA. I love it!

And that this is the first such facility of its kind in the world... wowwww...

Edited by I miss RVA

37 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Oh wowww!!! How cool is this!! Great video, too. Very impressive. Where specifically is this being built?

Man - and if Plenty is being viewed nationwide, it's even more excellent pub for RVA. I love it!

And that this is the first such facility of its kind in the world... wowwww...

Meadowville Technology Park. 

• Thanks 1

I rode pass so fast, and forgot to get one.

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

SWEEET!!! Wow!

Any chance for some  image.jpeg.c192eb363748d1f61d1d85068e3eb824.jpeg ??

I wonder if the developer will have a construction cam available?

Also, Perry's Steakhouse opened today.

The Lake development in Chesterfield:

No photo description available.

May be an image of lumberyard

West Area middle school. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

image.thumb.png.a660c71f513bce39833b1a755ba1ee0b.png

Map of what's being developed in the Moseley area of Chesterfield (note this doesn't include everything). 

Pink = Oasis Park. 

Large blue area = Carter's Farm 600 homes (I think).

Brown = Richmond FC soccer park. 

Gray = Tuckmer Farm home  215 homes with a proposed expansion. 

Purple = proposed RounTrey expansion. 

Orange = West Area Middle (larges middle school in central va with 1800 student capacity, already projected to overcrowded when it opens).

Green = The Lake surf park development. 

Huge solar development proposed by Winter pock. 

Also, Hallsley is seeking to expand it's master area to the north of the current one. 

FC Richmond Complex

FC Richmond soccer complex.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

I rode pass so fast, and forgot to get one.

Also, Perry's Steakhouse opened today.

The Lake development in Chesterfield:

May be an image of lumberyard

West Area middle school. 

Thanks for posting these. Not sure how recent these are, but I’m disappointed by how very slow The Lake is taking to actually build.  This project has been in work for, what seems like, years. I know that last year, it looked almost the same. What will be built first and when?  I’m thinking some sort of residential component?

1 hour ago, Child2021 said:

image.thumb.png.a660c71f513bce39833b1a755ba1ee0b.png

Map of what's being developed in the Moseley area of Chesterfield (note this doesn't include everything). 

Pink = Oasis Park. 

Large blue area = Carter's Farm 600 homes (I think).

Brown = Richmond FC soccer park. 

Gray = Tuckmer Farm home  215 homes with a proposed expansion. 

Purple = proposed RounTrey expansion. 

Orange = West Area Middle (larges middle school in central va with 1800 student capacity, already projected to overcrowded when it opens).

Green = The Lake surf park development. 

Huge solar development proposed by Winter pock. 

Also, Hallsley is seeking to expand it's master area to the north of the current one. 

FC Richmond Complex

FC Richmond soccer complex.

This is really impressive. Didn't realize there is SO much development going on in this part of the metro.

If we consider the location of Upper Magnolia Green - and the still supposedly established corridor of the Powhite Parkway extension - to my mind makes pushing the extension forward and getting it built downright critical. The amount of development that could come to this part of the county - particularly in GRP is successful in snagging a big-fish or two - could be downright epic IF - and that's a big IF - the extension is in place. (Mind you, I'm starting to wonder now if we'll see that roadway constructed by 2040 at the rate we're going...)

Oh - and @Child2021 - this compilation no doubt required quite a bit of work, research, etc. on your part (trust me - I know bc I'm prone to doing stuff like this myself). With THAT said - methinks the following piece of prestigious, freshly polished RVA/UP Silver Hardware is the appropriate way to recognize all of the work you've put into compiling this and giving us a good overview of what's happening in the southwestern suburbs. Well done! Mazal Tov!

image.png.a0c58d22a6a61cfa84a096097e816ec7.png

• Like 1

Well, you HAD to know this was coming...

Larry Shaia has filed suit in Hanover County, challenging the board of supervisors' rejection of his proposed Summerlyn residential project. If developed, the 97-unit apartment complex near Mechanicsville for residents 55-plus would be the county's first age-restricted residential development - and from the standpoint of increased tax revenue AND no need to build additional schools - would be a HUGE win for the county. The board rejected the proposed project by a 4-3 vote in November, citing a minor -- LAST-MINUTE change to the county's comprehensive plan.  This change came about AFTER the POD had been filed and had been approved - UNANIMOUSLY - by the county planning commission. The board's big hang-up is arguing over how density is calculated - and the board wants him to shave 16 units off the development, something Shaia contends is not feasible financially.

And - as the rendering shows - this is a really nice, high-quality development, something for which Larry Shaia is VERY well known.

I honestly don't get the county's position on this - and it seems to me a matter of biting off their nose to spite their face. I file this in the "just plain stupid" category, quite frankly.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/02/06/developer-sues-hanover-supervisors-over-apartment-project-denial/

Summerlyn-2 (1).jpeg

Screenshot (3939).png

• Like 3

Some income-based housing coming to the growing central Chesterfield suburbs. @RVABizSenseMike has reporting in today's RBS that Greenville, N.C.-based developer Taft Mills has begun construction of a 54-unit apartment complex to be called Old Hundred Trace. The site is just under 2 1/2 miles (as the crow flies) from the 288-Powhite Parkway interchange - and it just north of the long-established proposed corridor for the Powhite Parkway extension. Interesting place for income-based housing. Bruce even expressed both surprise and delight that this project is moving forward in a part of the metro that, as he put it, has "some of the highest incomes in the region."

I'll add one thought: this is just another reminder that the Powhite extension needs to be constructed like YESTERDAY! Plans and the established route are on the books and have been so since 1989, yet here we are -- some 35 years later -- and STILL not the first shovel of dirt has been turned. 

(Construction site photo courtesy of Mike & RBS)

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/02/07/n-c-developer-underway-on-old-hundred-trace-income-restricted-apartments-in-chesterfield/

old-hundred-trace-rendering-Cropped.jpg

old-hundred-trace-site-Cropped-2048x1152.jpg

Screenshot (3943).png

Screenshot (3942).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I'll add one thought: this is just another reminder that the Powhite extension needs to be constructed like YESTERDAY! Plans and the established route are on the books and have been so since 1989, yet here we are -- some 35 years later -- and STILL not the first shovel of dirt has been turned. 

There is movement on this. Phase I, current Powhite terminus to Woolridge, is currently in design. And here's the link to the Phase II study - Woolridge to 360.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, whw53 said:

What's the status of the larger -East-West Freeway? isn't that to run from 95 to Hull\Powhite interchange as the southern leg

This sounds vaguely familiar but I'm having difficulty remembering specifics. Is there info available on what was proposed, when it was proposed, etc.?

50 minutes ago, whw53 said:

What's the status of the larger -East-West Freeway? isn't that to run from 95 to Hull\Powhite interchange as the southern leg

That expressway is dead, and in my opinion rightfully so. It would've basically paralleled VA 288 a few miles to the south and wouldn't have accomplished much of anything. It would've just been redundant.

I think a much better plan is to route an expressway from the southern terminus of I-295 (south of Petersburg) and loop up west of Petersburg to VA 288 between Hull St Rd & Pocahontas State Park, creating a beltway around both Richmond and Petersburg.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, plain said:

That expressway is dead, and in my opinion rightfully so. It would've basically paralleled VA 288 a few miles to the south and wouldn't have accomplished much of anything. It would've just been redundant.

I think a much better plan is to route an expressway from the southern terminus of I-295 (south of Petersburg) and loop up west of Petersburg to VA 288 between Hull St Rd & Pocahontas State Park, creating a beltway around both Richmond and Petersburg.

Good call, @plain. This sounds like the way to go. I wonder if anyone has given much thought to this? I'd be curious if this might spur economic development in that part of the metro?

424737541_351000417844657_2977035734240044321_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=CP0siApv3tIAX-riW-X&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-1.fna&oh=00_AfCjUoyedZJddFal9HGkTDh0lYOaFv_cJPQnjK7OYXZtrA&oe=65C635FF

@eandslee Well at least they do have the "lake portion" properly dug out, and some water and sewer lines have been put in. 

image.png.a719339752a1c05189448c9ae9f9100f.png

Water and Sewer lines have been put into the blue area. 

image.png.253ee7b6b50bf3f8365ebcc3e9a8d77e.png

Old County transportation plan.

26 minutes ago, plain said:

Beach, Genito, and Winter pock roads needs to be upgraded as it's kind of dangerous how narrow those roads are with such large amounts of houses near them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2