Skyscraper Skyplex

db_2014_0601_SkyscraperSkyplex_PossibleS

db_2014_0601_SkyscraperSkyplex_PossibleS

ltower.jpg

entry.jpg

driveview.jpg

complex-entry.jpg

Skyscraper Coaster

No trip to Orlando will be complete without riding “The Skyscraper”. The world’s tallest rollercoaster begins with a quick briefing on the amazing adventure you are about to experience. Upon loading the Skyscraper ride vehicle visitors begin their assent to the top of the Skyplex tower. As the vehicle climbs to its ultimate height of over 500’, riders get a  spectacular view of Central Florida and on a clear day can see all the way to both coasts. At the apex riders prepare for the most exciting decent of their life, spiraling down the Skyscraper structure, at some times completely inverted until reaching the base of the tower where the Skyscraper actually shoots out over International Drive before coming to rest  at the ride base. Each rider is captured on video as they experience the Skyscraper and the videos can be transferred to  phones, Facebook, Instagram, so they can be shared with friends.

Skyplex Observation Deck

The Skyplex Observation deck is located 534’ above the ground. It offers incredible views from the tallest structure in  Florida. Access to the Observation Deck is by way of the tallest glass elevator located in Florida. Anticipation builds as you climb the elevator to the top of the structure. Once on the observation deck visitors can circle the structure seeing the incredible sights in every direction. All while enjoying a drink and a snack while relaxing at the top of the Skyplex.

Edited by Ocityst

Over 500 feet?  Good luck getting that approved.

on what grounds does the FAA have to stranglehold all of orange county? I -drive is nowhere near any of the airports, nor is it near ANY flight path in or out of the airport. we have antennas in orange county pushing 600 feet if im not mistaken. 

miami, jacksonville, and tampa all have 500+ footers. ok, the whole downtown debate has been discussed ad nauseum with orlando executive. however, they cannot hold height restrictions on the entire county just for the hell of it. a project like this would be the perfect client to finally sue if they try to cut them down. 

Edited by shardoon
  • Like 1

I believe this has been discussed here before.  My understanding is that the FAA makes recommendations for height restrictions and that Orange County follows the recommendations. 

so the FAA does not make these same recommendations limiting height in tampa, miami, chicago, new york, etc etc? i dont see any specific reasons for height restrictions in the I-drive area.......and if they make empty recommendations for height restrictions, why is orange county the only one who follows it to a T, meanwhile miami dade, hillsboruogh, los angeles, clark, cook, etc etc county would ignore it? 

no airport or flight path in any vicinity of I-drive...... no excuse for ANY restrictions in that area. i cant see how the FAA would have grounds to limit height in that area. 

Edited by shardoon

I'm not saying I like it but it seems to be more commonplace than you may realize.  San Diego is another good example.  The city has actually adopted a height limit lower than the FAA recommendation.

i know...... but this is I-drive...... the tourist corridor with tacky tattoo shops. i would love to know the county commission's reasoning behind it if that was the case. is a 400 ft attraction going to suddenly make I-drive more uniform than a 600 foot one?

^^

You guys kill me!  LMFAO!!!

^^

Tangelo Park sniper tower

^^

Surface parking for the parking garage.  It's just like the Orlando Eye development- they are putting surface parking under the Eye.  WTF?  I think that's where a former condo or hotel proposal(s) was supposed to go.

^^

Destination Parkway bridge:  I wish I knew.  For all others, its the bridge over the lake where Vista Cay is that would direct connect it to right where Hilton Orlando is at that corner with Tradeshow Road, where I believe buses park just past that garage for the OCCC.  For the record, Tradeshow Road should have a traffic signal with Universal Blvd; it doesn't; and I think the reason is because it was an afterthought road that wasn't meant for conventioneers- but they all use it anyway.

• Like 1

Tradeshow road frequently gets cops out there setting up a right turn only on the far right lane of Universal which is closed to approaching traffic. I don't think it is the road system around the OCCC as much as their ability to process cars and get them into limited parking slots. They do fine when attendees arive by shuttle bus, normally set up by the event planners, from hotels. But the parking lots fill with exhibitors and the people working the event by 7am leaving long walks and grass spaces for attendees. Too bad we don't have a theme park or two in the area to give them ideas how to do it right. OCCC charges over $15 a car, would be nice to feel you got a value instead of feeling ripped off.

News 13 is reporting that the height of the coaster structure will be 570ft. This thing is going to dominate the skyline for years until (hopefully) the new tallest race brings us something else. Poor Orlando Eye never saw it coming  :lol:

http://mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/on-the-town/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/6/5/international_drive_.html

Skyscraper2-jpg.jpg

The ride will last three minutes and reach a maximum speed of 65 mph. Guests will have to be 48 inches tall to ride.

The Skyscraper, which will be 575 feet tall, will have a 55-story glass elevator that will take guests to an observation deck.

Edited by Ocityst

I think the 570' mark will be at the top of the antenna mast.  It will still be taller than the Eye.  I think Orange County will approve the height just so they can say the tallest structure in the region is on county land.

I think it will get built.  You don't have so many players meeting behind closed doors (per WESH) about a project which has no legs to stand on.

It doesn't phase me, though, because its no different than Chicago or NYC; just b/c the Empire or Sears (Willis) are taller than Top of the Rock or Hancock, respectively, it doesn't mean you ignore those other observatories.

check out the OBJ article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/06/i-drive-skyplex-project-to-create-500-plus-jobs.html

I just saw this article and video in the article link.  it's an impressive complex.  I think an I-Drive circulator as proposed by the proposed Maglev people would be very needed at this point.

Edited by jrs2

Historically, a civilization's tallest structures often represent what is most economically and socially important to that geographic area at the time.  For example:  the pyramids in egypt, cathedrals in europe, skyscrapers in new york, etc

It is proper and fitting that Orlando's tallest be a tourist attraction, and even more so, a rollercoaster.

Edited by tm68
  • Like 3