Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

I don't think the county/city are against the height per se, but the area is zoned for certain heights so projects like these require variances in order to build.  Those variances are frequently granted (The wheel, the Peabody expansion, etc), but they can be contested by other property owners in the area who can claim it gives the new property an unfair advantage.  That is what's happenning to the Mango's garage+rooftop restaurant.  Since the Polercoaster would affect the same neighbors, I can't imagine they wouldn't fight that too.  This doesn' t mean it won't get built, but it does mean there's still a lot of issues to sort out.

Hard to believe they'd block something as high profile as the PolerCoaster.

That thing would be a major tax revenue generator.

Wow, and I mean WOW. The elements on this thing...it has everything! This will put Orlando squarely in the sights of rollercoaster enthusiasts when it opens. Central Florida has a collection of some really good coasters, but nothing that makes a true thrill seeker salivate like this.

Yeah this is anticlimactic. They should have done a drop tower since we don't have that. Now we have two duplicate attractions in our attractions area skyline: 2 starflyers and at least 2 skycoasters. Why didn't the city tell the developer no since we already have one of those right down the street?

Edited by Pete C

One has to wonder if the clock is ticking on W&W.  I think it is.

i think once the new water park is up and running and universals current setup it built out, which it will be within the next few years, wet n wild will be razed and universal make use the land for their future plans of massive hotel expansion. 

^^

I can't wait to walk that trail walk at Cabaña Bay.  Is it gated at Cabaña Bay?

^^

Starflyer:  I'm indifferent except that I want to see that surface parking razed.  This thing is tall and will definitely take up a lot of lateral space at its base. 

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea what is going on next to the turkey lake road post office? Quite a bit of construction on a piece of prime lakefront land.

well, looks like this is the answer

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-westgate-lakes-shopping-20141215-story.html

questionable location though. its all the ways on the south side of the resort. dont know how much use a parking garage would be. what kind of a connection to the rest of the resort considering the large retention pond in between properties. 

• 3 weeks later...

well, looks like i-shops is ramping up. i wonder how tall the hotel towers will be? they will be eliminating the independent low rise buildings of the existing hotel. they also got approval for 1600 hotel rooms within the towers. a project that size puts it on par with the hilton and hyatt down by the convention center. 

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-wyndham-shops-development-20150106-story.html