Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Lol! "Polercoaster". You definitely would have to make sure you went to the bathroom before you got on that. I can't lie though, that would be the first thing I'd visit.

I visited Epcot World Showcase last week and thought it was pretty neat but could use a little more. Presumably it has be expanded much because of the profitability, but if there weren't any budget constraints, what would y'all like to see? I think they could add the new big world countries like Russia, India, Saudia Arabia, Brazil, Indonesia, but what I really think would be a cool addition would be a pavilion on Ethiopia. Although the Western connotation of it would be an issue,it seems like it has such a long, interesing history.

EDIT: Sorry, I changed it. lol

Edited by dan326

Lol! "Polecoaster". You definitely would have to make sure you went to the bathroom before you got on that. I can't lie though, that would be the first thing I'd visit.

I visited Epcot World Showcase last week and thought it was pretty neat but could use a little more. Presumably it has be expanded much because of the profitability, but if there weren't any budget constraints, what would y'all like to see? I think they could add the new big world countries like Russia, India, Saudia Arabia, Brazil, Indonesia, but what I really think would be a cool addition would be a pavilion on Ethiopia. Although the Western connotation of it would be an issue,it seems like it has such a long, interesing history.

FYI, it's Polercoaster not Polecoaster.

As for Epcot, new countries in the World Showcase have been rumored for ages, but it never happens. The only space for them to put anything new would be the Outpost. IMO that is one area of Epcot that could stay the same. There are other really outdated attractions like Imagination and Ellen's Energy Adventure that need to be replaced first. Nothing is rumored though. For now it is all about Avatar at Animal Kingdom and possibly Carsland at Hollywood Studios.

Edited by Pete C

In fact there is plenty of expansion space in EPCOT. Between Mexico and Norway. Between Germany and Italy. Between Japan and Morocco. Between Morocco and France. And between Canada and the UK. The Outpost area could have one the size of America or two Morocco sized pavilions. They probably could squeeze in a few more mini-pavilions as well, but the areas I outlined are from the master plans I saw way back ago. And if you notice, all the buildings in those areas are temporary.

Oops, forgot between the UK and the new Gateway. That was a 2 pavilion site, but they won't lose the gateway. At least I hope not. Closest entrance/exit to the Grand Marnier Slushies in France! Plus I could go on a rant about how the current powers that be want only tie-ins to other Disney productions i.e. the Frozen characters at Norway etc. What country will want to pony up the money just to become a farce of itself? I sometimes think if the Disney execs ran the Library of Congress they would put Belle and the Beast in there. Sorry. I got started....

Edited by Boomer136
  • Like 1

The World Showcase was designed with expansion in mind as Boomer136 mentions above.  Most of the pavillions had large donations made by their countries of origin (the most lavish being Morocco) seeking to showcase their countries in one of the most visited places on earth.  I think Disney's international expansion (not to mention the globalization of the economy) dried up any further interest in such partnerships.  That said, if you were to fantasize, Brazil, India, and Australia seem like no-brainers - easily identifiable architecture, food and beverage options, cultural shows, and merchandise.  I can just imagine wearing a fresh Selecao jersey, watching a Carnival show, eating curry, and drinking a Victoria Bitter beer with a mini Taj Mahal and Sydney Opera House in the distance...

Latest on Mango's and related developments:  the garage:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/06/walgreens-sells-i-drive-store-to-make-way-for-new.html

When Friday's Front Row closed down I was stunned and tried to avoid this corner of I-Drive like the plague because of boarded up windows, etc.  Now, it's the most happening part of the strip- or will be.

"Oops, forgot between the UK and the new Gateway. That was a 2 pavilion site, but they won't lose the gateway. At least I hope not. Closest entrance/exit to the Grand Marnier Slushies in France! Plus I could go on a rant about how the current powers that be want only tie-ins to other Disney productions i.e. the Frozen characters at Norway etc. What country will want to pony up the money just to become a farce of itself? I sometimes think if the Disney execs ran the Library of Congress they would put Belle and the Beast in there. Sorry. I got started...."

I did think there was plenty more space. Lol! I could imagine them clearing away the tables to make room for "Belle's Royal Ball".

"The World Showcase was designed with expansion in mind as Boomer136 mentions above. Most of the pavillions had large donations made by their countries of origin (the most lavish being Morocco) seeking to showcase their countries in one of the most visited places on earth. I think Disney's international expansion (not to mention the globalization of the economy) dried up any further interest in such partnerships. That said, if you were to fantasize, Brazil, India, and Australia seem like no-brainers - easily identifiable architecture, food and beverage options, cultural shows, and merchandise. I can just imagine wearing a fresh Selecao jersey, watching a Carnival show, eating curry, and drinking a Victoria Bitter beer with a mini Taj Mahal and Sydney Opera House in the distance..."

I know they have to cater to lowest denominator to maximize ROI but I would personally find it the most fascinating part of the various parks if they had more/more compelling pavilions.

Yeah those would be good additions that I think average Westerners would be interested to see. And we forgot Egypt. I think they could take the Mt. Fuji/Switzerland idea and make a big pyramid with a sphinx and tents like an archaeological site to sell knick-knacks. And a model of the Library of Alexandria with travel media and bi-language books and of course Disney media. And camels to ride/take pictures on.

Edited by dan326

• 2 weeks later...

Diagon Alley is really cool.  So is the Hogwart's Express train and its two stations.  The stations are really authentic looking.

I went two weeks ago and the train was well done and the projection outside the windows was pretty cool, I am not a big Harry Potter fan but I thought Diagon Alley was just a Medieval shopping mall to buy useless memorabilia.  I did like the free food and drink Universal provided; however.  I was not impressed with the main ride, I really don't see how they are going to get riders through it fast enough...the lines are going to be too long for months to come.  I felt the ride was similar to the Mummy but not as good.  It didn't seem to flow along very well for me ( although it broke half way through) and by wearing 3D glasses all the projections did not seem that sharp and it felt too fake.  I think it will be a let-down.  The butter beer soft serve icecream was good.

^^

I'll have to wait on the ride. 

If you are a Potter fan and are familiar with the Potter universe, you will recognize many of the stores and structures- and restaurants from the films.  I was very impressed with the train stations for the Hogwart's Express.  It's great b/c if you want to park hop, the Express familiarizes you with the universe a little bit.

All that Harry Potter stuff sounds great, but I cannot see how it could really be enjoyed in this awful summer heat.

Given the setting of the story & all, it seems like the kind of thing that would be better enjoyed around the holidays when it's cool(er) & comfortable.

Too bad summer is the big tourist season here.

All that Harry Potter stuff sounds great, but I cannot see how it could really be enjoyed in this awful summer heat.

Given the setting of the story & all, it seems like the kind of thing that would be better enjoyed around the holidays when it's cool(er) & comfortable.

Too bad summer is the big tourist season here.

truer words have never been spoken.  I agree totally.

This am, they said the Gringott's ride had a 240min wait.

FYI.  That I-Drive Megamall tower slated for Kirkman & I-Drive.  They had cut the height by 50' down to 360'.  To put this in perspective, we're talking about a tower that is roughly the height of Dynetech but maybe 3 times as bulky.  It should be close to the height of the new Peabody tower (Hyatt).  That reaches over 400' but mainly because of the spire.  So the Megamall hotel will be just a little shorter than that building with a similar width, but a little bit thicker I think, with the same amount of hotel rooms inside.

Too bad its not adjacent to the OCCC.  The OCCC is doing ok with 4 properties connected by skywalk, not to mention the proposed Maglev I-Drive Circulator route that should give it around 3-4 stations along its length. 

Edited by jrs2

Not from Orlando but read where a Crayola Experience was headed to Florida Mall where the Nordstoms is located. It will take half of that space. Crayola is owned by Hallmark out of KC Mo. They have partnered with the folks behind Legoland and Sealife for a development at their Crown Center complex. It has a Crayola store and cafe but this concept to Orlando seems a bigger expansion of that along the lines of a Lego Discovery Center.