Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Anybody heard about this yet?

During an interview with S&S at IAAPA today it was leaked that S&S and US Thrill Rides will be building one of their first 'Poler-coasters' at Orlando in the really near future. The ride will be 525 feet tall and feature over 7000 feet of track. The top of the tower will have over 20,000 square feet of space to be used for all sorts of commercial purposes from retail to fine dining. Here's a picture of their concept art at the booth:

polercoa.jpg

Ground is expected to be broken sometime in early 2014 and it will take a full 24 months in order for this monster to be completed.

I would guess around I Drive somewhere.

Here is a video animation of the Las Vegas PolerCoaster that is on the Sentinel blog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPCZy-3n4x0

World's tallest roller coaster coming to Florida

By Dewayne Bevil, Orlando Sentinel

12:07 p.m. EST, November 21, 2013

A 520-foot-high roller coaster, the tallest in the world, will be built in Florida. We just don't know exactly where yet.

An official announcement will come in a few weeks, said Michael Kitchen, president of US Thrill Rides, the Windermere-based company that designed the ride.

The coaster design, which US Thrill Rides refers to as Polercoaster, is tall and lean but has a small footprint, Kitchen said. The 520-foot version coming to Florida fits in a 150-foot diameter, he said.

At the top of the attraction is a double-decker restaurant and observation deck that can house retail outlets. People can travel by elevator to eat and shop up there without boarding the thrill ride.

Riders board the eight-passenger vehicles at ground level, then work their way to the top in a spiral pattern. The descent is more thrill-packed with sharp dives, rolls, loops and inversions, Kitchen said. The top speed will be more than 60 mph, he said.

No current Central Florida theme-park attraction is taller than 200 feet. A 450-foot observation wheel set for the I-Drive Live complex on International Drive is scheduled to open in late 2014. 

Kitchen said he expects a groundbreaking in summer of 2014 and anticipates it opening in spring of 2016. But he wouldn't say where in the Sunshine State it will go up. A contract with his customer has been signed and engineering work has begun, he said.

“The customer wants to do a very good press release with the theming and the naming of the structure and the artwork to support it and that’s going to take a few short weeks," Kitchen said. " It is imminent.”

In addition to being of record height, the new coaster's steel track will be very long, Kitchen said.

“We expect to break many, many multiple world records on this ride," he said.

A 325-foot version of Polercoaster already has been announced for LakePoint Sporting Community, a 1,600-acre entertainment compound under construction near Atlanta. It will be called the White Knuckler.

The Polercoaster design can be varied for individual clients, Kitchen said. The thrill level can be adjusted to be family-friendly, he said, with less G's and fewer loops. The attraction's price tag ranges between $20 million and $60 million, depending on options, Kitchen said.

The current record holder for height is the Kingda Ka coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey, according to the Roller Coaster Database  That ride tops out at 456 feet, it says.

The coaster industry will probably go even higher into the sky in the future, Kitchen said. A Ferris wheel in Dubai goes 800 feet in the air, he said.

“Every time I think we’ve come to a limit, we go higher,” Kitchen said.

“There’s a lot of vertical stuff happening in our industry right now. It’s quite an exciting undertaking,” said Dennis Speigel, president of the International Theme Park Services, a Cincinnati-based trade group. 

Speigel said he didn't expect the new ride to land in any of Orlando's major theme parks.

"I think it might be in one of the associated, ancillary I-Drive type things, something of that nature,” he said.

"We have nothing to announce at this time," a Walt Disney World spokeswoman said.

Busch Gardens, which is building a 330-foot vertical drop attraction set to open next spring, would not comment on the upcoming coaster

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/blogs/theme-park-rangers/os-worlds-tallest-coaster-florida-20131121,0,795167.post

Edited by JFW657

Most of the rumors seem to point to a 'Central Florida' poler coaster and not specifically Orlando.  Some of the theme park blogs that mentioned Orlando even now admitting their fault. Most of the rumors point to Busch Gardens getting this, possibly as a replacement to the Crown Colony restaurant.  

If it is going to a SEAS park I have to question why BGT and not SeaWorld Orlando.  I think this would be a great update to the Sky Tower.  It would allow for a new observation tower replacing one that is far past it prime + a new high end restaurant (which the park no longer has due to the new cheaper menu at Sharks) + a new thrill ride + a 'weenie' that is easily seen from almost all of the tourist district.  It would really help put interest back in SWO which definitely needs it after the boy wizard stole so much of their business away.  

A new weenie visible from I-4 + the tallest (and more than likely longest) roller coaster with the tallest inversion in the world would really help usher in a new era for SWO.  What's interesting is there are ton of rumors pointing to a new roller coaster to replace the former Hospitality House section of the park.  The footprint of the poler coaster would easily fit in the former Hospitality House with plenty of room to spare for queues and 

The height though seems very tall for Orange County.  Dare I mention the rumors of payouts and closed door meetings blocking anything tall in this county? 

If not BGT or SWO I'd expect this to go to one of the Fun Spots in town or maybe even a stand alone attraction on I-Drive. Wherever its going it will surely be a new icon for the area. 

The ride part of the polercoaster looks great, but the top is just lame. Why are the tops of towers like this so often so poorly designed?  I like the Space Needle a lot. Reunion Tower in Dallas is passable as is the Sunsphere in Knoxville and the Stratosphere in Vegas. The Canton Tower is nice but the top really flows from the whole structure as does the Stratosphere. Most often it seems that these tall towers are built and they top them of with something ugly rather than awesome. I've seen many awesome skyscrapers but the only tower I've ever seen that I would consider awesome is the Space Needle.

The ride part of the polercoaster looks great, but the top is just lame. Why are the tops of towers like this so often so poorly designed?  I like the Space Needle a lot. Reunion Tower in Dallas is passable as is the Sunsphere in Knoxville and the Stratosphere in Vegas. The Canton Tower is nice but the top really flows from the whole structure as does the Stratosphere. Most often it seems that these tall towers are built and they top them of with something ugly rather than awesome. I've seen many awesome skyscrapers but the only tower I've ever seen that I would consider awesome is the Space Needle.

The whole thing is lame.  That roller coaster doesn't look particularly scary, so I would hate for that to be an advertisement for Oracle's thrill factor.  I'd rather see something like this in Orlando:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khRTNdEgZqg

More super fast, pee-inducing roller coasters in Orlando, please.  

Edited by jliv

I think the world's tallest coaster, by more than a 100', and featuring the world's tallest inversion is a good place for Orlando to start. We haven't been a thrill focused city before but with all of what SWO and IOA doing steel-wise plus the thrill rides coming to USF and DAK we are becoming one. Few people seem to realize this though. I think the polercoaster will help people realize Orlando is now a thrill capital. It will put us on thrill seekers radars.

Most of the rumors seem to point to a 'Central Florida' poler coaster and not specifically Orlando.  Some of the theme park blogs that mentioned Orlando even now admitting their fault. Most of the rumors point to Busch Gardens getting this, possibly as a replacement to the Crown Colony restaurant.  

If it is going to a SEAS park I have to question why BGT and not SeaWorld Orlando.  I think this would be a great update to the Sky Tower.  It would allow for a new observation tower replacing one that is far past it prime + a new high end restaurant (which the park no longer has due to the new cheaper menu at Sharks) + a new thrill ride + a 'weenie' that is easily seen from almost all of the tourist district.  It would really help put interest back in SWO which definitely needs it after the boy wizard stole so much of their business away.  

A new weenie visible from I-4 + the tallest (and more than likely longest) roller coaster with the tallest inversion in the world would really help usher in a new era for SWO.  What's interesting is there are ton of rumors pointing to a new roller coaster to replace the former Hospitality House section of the park.  The footprint of the poler coaster would easily fit in the former Hospitality House with plenty of room to spare for queues and 

The height though seems very tall for Orange County.  Dare I mention the rumors of payouts and closed door meetings blocking anything tall in this county? 

If not BGT or SWO I'd expect this to go to one of the Fun Spots in town or maybe even a stand alone attraction on I-Drive. Wherever its going it will surely be a new icon for the area. 

Oh my goodness, I love a good conspiracy tale (I'm imagining where OC's grassy knoll might be - we're pretty flat except out by the Mormon Temple)! In any event, the height restriction downtown exists largely because of the proximity to the runway/flight pattern at Herndon Airport (Orlando Executive if you must - I hate taking someone's name off once it's been dedicated.) From all the research I've seen over the years, it's not exactly a hard and fast rule: I know of only two cases where someone seriously attempted to go beyond the recommended FAA limit: Sun Bank Center, which went for the exception and got it with the help of the Reagan administration in the mid 80's, and Ron Pizzuti's 600-foot tower proposed for Orange & Livingston about 15 years later. As I recall, about 150' of that was an open cube with no functional space. Like most of Ron's central Florida ideas, it never really went anywhere (he seemed to be much more serious about his Columbus projects.) Orlando has never had that many folks with deep enough pockets and egos to desire construction of a trophy building downtown, and my understanding is that city planners are fine with that, since they prefer density to some lone tower which would stick out like a sore thumb.

As to anything in the tourist district, I am unaware that any project has ever been turned down for height: nevertheless, does anyone really think if Disney wanted to go obnoxiously vertical, they couldn't? The first hotel towers of any size out there (other than the Contemporary Resort) were built in the EPCOT/OCCC era in the early 80s, and they all seemed content to go wide more than vertical. Given the availability of land in the area, that strikes me as entirely plausible. If anyone ever suggested the Peabody wanted to go higher than 428' feet in its 2010 expansion, I never heard it.

In truth, the only constriction I'm really aware of was the Orange County Courthouse, which got a haircut because, in that Republican era, it was considered bad form to allow a government building to be taller than the private sector's highest. A floor was knocked off, it came in at 426' and there was peace in the valley. If there is anything more substantive out there, I'd love to know about it.

Edited by spenser1058

True, but then we have the Orlando Eye which got it's height cut down dramatically. And the University Towers that were cancelled, which I hope are still realized one day.

I agree though that it has more to do with pocketbooks than with secret height bans.

Still a bit odd no one has broken through that height though.

• Like 1

True, but then we have the Orlando Eye which got it's height cut down dramatically. And the University Towers that were cancelled, which I hope are still realized one day.

I agree though that it has more to do with pocketbooks than with secret height bans.

Still a bit odd no one has broken through that height though.

I think you're right that it's all about following the money. I guess it will happen sooner or later, although I continue to be  surprised Harris Rosen has never gotten the bug to leave some huge monument to himself out there. Of course, he only builds with cash, so I guess even he gets reined in. On the other hand, I guess the Rosen School may suffice. As much as Harris has driven me crazy with his anti-downtown stand on the issues, you have to love his philanthropy.

Edited by spenser1058

The flight path is through downtown (not parramore, remember City Place!). I do not think the attractions area has a limit. If someone is going to put up something obscene, it will probably be there.

Now, if an owner with a big enough ego and money to match, we may see someone push past the limits downtown. But why put up a huge building when you have tons of vacant space. I am all for filing the gaps, then pushing the height limit. 

Let's put it this way, all of the office buildings constructed in the boom years (mid 2000')s is less then Suntrust. CNL II, and the Plaza. 

While I do enjoy tall buildings I see how walkable a city is to be far more important, and Orlando needs to be far more walkable, you don't need super tall building for that. You do need density and mix's of types of uses to create a place where people will choose walking and public transit over driving simply because it is easier AND more enjoyable than getting in a car and driving.

I see trends of this happening and hope it continues, you interact with the environment, others, and local businesses far more when walking than you do when driving. Right now I know that South Eola, Thorntan Park, parts of downtown and Winter Park are wonderful for walking in Orlando, there may be more I don't live there yet, but to make a really great city there should be far more areas that people enjoy walking in.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...