Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

31 minutes ago, codypet said:

Pointe Orlando is still pretty deserted though.  City Walk and Disney Springs are pretty comparable.

you have to catch Pointe Orlando at the right time.  There are a few venues that have a heavy draw and the cinema is always a decent draw...

• Like 1

since this is in the tourist zone International Drive I will ask here.  Why was this huge parking garage built?  someone told me before but I forgot.  It just sticks out so much.    Across Sand Lake from the mega McDonalds.  

it is not parking for the Golden Corral is it? 

20240116_133404.jpg

20240116_133452.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

since this is in the tourist zone International Drive I will ask here.  Why was this huge parking garage built?  someone told me before but I forgot.  It just sticks out so much.    Across Sand Lake from the mega McDonalds.  

it is not parking for the Golden Corral is it? 

20240116_133404.jpg

20240116_133452.jpg

Built by the mangos guy. Mainly for parking for Mangos when it just opened and was packed every weekend. Also built with the thought that skyplex was gonna be built, which never happened. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well at the time they were gonna build the huge Skyplex tower with rides on the diagonal corner where the 7-11/Perkins and Burger King currently reside.  They bought the old Fun and Wheels property along with the old Dowdy Pavilion (damn them for shutting that down).  The garage was supposed to help supplement that development but it never happened.  Universal pushed against it and last I heard its in limbo.  So now I think they're stuck being an O&O of I think 7 remaining Perkins (IIRC the deal to buy the Perkins required them to O&O 8 Perkins ), and the garage tenant (Hogan's Beach Shop) is now semi-permanent in the 7-11 because nothings happening yet.

https://mangos.com/orlando-press/orlandos-skyplex-featuring-skyscraper-the-worlds-tallest-roller-coaster-announces-two-new-world-record-setting-components/

Edit:  Whoa! I didn't know Intamin has already built the coaster and its been sitting in storage since 2017.

Edited by codypet
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Nobu update:

They filed preliminary plans with the county. Plan is actually for 4 hotels totaling 1,934 rooms. This is a huge development within the 50 acres including a dining/retail/ entertainment center with 16 restaurants. The Nobu hotel is only 300 rooms, so gonna be I am assuming a boutique hotel within a larger hotel. I would assume similar to how they are in Miami with Eden Roc and Vegas with Caesars. Aslo gonna have a huge 26,000 sq foot spa. 

Can anyone track down the plans filed with the county? 

Disable java to view article

https://www.growthspotter.com/2024/01/23/aic-hotel-group-files-plan-for-massive-nobu-resort-near-disney-springs/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Nobu update:

They filed preliminary plans with the county. Plan is actually for 4 hotels totaling 1,934 rooms. This is a huge development within the 50 acres including a dining/retail/ entertainment center with 16 restaurants. The Nobu hotel is only 300 rooms, so gonna be I am assuming a boutique hotel within a larger hotel. I would assume similar to how they are in Miami with Eden Roc and Vegas with Caesars. Aslo gonna have a huge 26,000 sq foot spa. 

Can anyone track down the plans filed with the county? 

Disable java to view article

https://www.growthspotter.com/2024/01/23/aic-hotel-group-files-plan-for-massive-nobu-resort-near-disney-springs/

saw that on google and couldn't understand how their tower was within Caesars...

but this is massive...

On 1/13/2024 at 8:54 AM, ragerunner said:

SeaWorld Orlando’s new launch family B&M coaster track is nearly complete. This new indoor/outdoor coaster opens in the spring of 2024. 
I think this one might just be a hit for them. It’s family friendly, with indoor dark ride scenes and good capacity. 

On 1/15/2024 at 10:31 PM, codypet said:

Some photos I took this weekend of it.

20240113_135016.jpg

20240113_144251.jpg

20240113_141105.jpg

I'm gonna add new information I got this weekend.  Sea World is offering passholders a way to get Quik Queue when Penguin Trek opens heavily insinuating Penguin Trek will open in March.

image.thumb.png.cedee763e6a9ee64b469e6834f2c0061.png 

Well talking to some of the employees, they said they're being told they'll miss that date, but will very likely make it before the 4th of July.

BGT's B&M Family Coaster Counterpart Phoenix Rising hasn't even left the ground yet, so I expect that to be later.  

B&M supposedly averages 3 new coasters per year.  For 2024 they're being installed in parks that are close to me with Dorney Park in PA getting a baby Sheikra, and these two as SWO and BGT.

Edited by codypet

• 2 weeks later...

Pointe Orlando:  I parked the adjacent garage for an event I was attending and walked through Pointe Orlando on my way to Hyatt.  While I knew it was in decline I guess I didn’t really understand just how desolate the place is on the interior, as I only ever see it from I-Drive.

They’d be better off knocking out the backside and building a large hotel back there.  The current state is not unlike many struggling malls around the metro. It’s a tad creepy but mainly depressing.

• Like 1

This guy does an interesting review and commentary.  He has a list of the highest grossing media franchises in the world, and Pokemon tops the list, in front of Hello Kitty, Winnie the Pooh, and then Mickey Mouse.  I had no idea it was that huge.

There is a digital flyby of the Epic U finished plan, and it looks like from inside the park looking at Grand Helios with the Carousel and fountains in the foreground, this will probably be considered the "front lawn" of  Universal Orlando.  For The Diz, they've got a couple front lawns in the view of Cinderella's Castle from Main Street, and Spaceship Earth with The Monorail in the foreground from inside EPCOT.  Universal needs a front lawn.  Thus far I think it's been the entrance arches at Universal Studios, with maybe the globe in the foreground.  That's more along the lines of a front door I think.

Anyway, check out the vid: