Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

https://yourmileagemayvary.com/2023/07/10/nobu-hotel-orlando-has-no-opening-date-but-heres-where-it-will-be-located/

this was an article about Nobu Hotel.  two months ago.  Did I post it?  Anyway, they say Great Wolf Lodge was going to go there and when they pulled out, Nobu purchased it.  As of the writing of the article, Nobu does not have plans drawn up yet ala the resort or a timeline...

Conrad Evermore opens in a couple of months.

Fairmont hasn't released renderings yet, although they did purchase the property about three months ago.

Tao Hotel- the only info is that they plan a 15 story tower at O-Town West near the 9 story Marriott Vacations Building.  Being that Unicorp is involved, I would say there is a high probability this gets built- although the plans for O-Town West already changed from what they announced to what they built; same thing with Chuy's plaza in WP they built.

W Hotel- nothing since their announcement (with renderings) near Epic U.

36 story Luxury Tower- off Westwood Drive- recent article stating they've penciled in several restaurants... no flag...

This came out of left field. Disable java to read. NW corner of Sand Lake Road and Dr. Phillips blvd. this is independent of another builder's plan to raze the old steinmart and Office Depot to build an 8 story apartment building. this propasal is from Unicorp wanting to build a parking garage and high end restaurants and retail. He even throws a veiled threat against a zoning changes stating that he could simply build more apartments as is, but does not want to. 

https://www.growthspotter.com/2023/09/12/unicorp-plans-to-deliver-high-end-restaurants-parking-garage-to-dr-phillips/

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, shardoon said:

This came out of left field. Disable java to read. NW corner of Sand Lake Road and Dr. Phillips blvd. this is independent of another builder's plan to raze the old steinmart and Office Depot to build an 8 story apartment building. this propasal is from Unicorp wanting to build a parking garage and high end restaurants and retail. He even throws a veiled threat against a zoning changes stating that he could simply build more apartments as is, but does not want to. 

https://www.growthspotter.com/2023/09/12/unicorp-plans-to-deliver-high-end-restaurants-parking-garage-to-dr-phillips/

TGS-L-Unicorp-DrPhillips-restaurants-Orlando-0913.jpg

TGS-L-Unicorp-DrPhillips-restaurants-Orlando-0913-02.jpg

TGS-L-Unicorp-DrPhillips-restaurants-Orlando-0913-03.jpg

• Like 3

I think the entire complex of the DP marketplace's days are numbered. I can envision completely rebuilt retail and restaurant plaza, maybe attracting some higher end boutique stores like in Miami ala LV, gucci , prada etc.  Yes, they have those in Millenia, but having them close to DP and Windermere and the tourists, I can see something like that working.............. AFTER............ Sand lake road is expanded and the SLR I4 interchage is done. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, codypet said:

Holy Crap!  Nothing keeps Unicorp or Kimco from doing both.  Traffic has to be a concern here.  I'd prohibit them from building the garage with this and force everyone to walk.  Also the billboard remains.  What a joke.

Billboards can be super difficult to remove. I'm reminded of this one in Gainesville that goes literally through a new strip mall:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.62301,-82.3765671,3a,21.9y,103.63h,97.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shVJoNvTvpmnUPFkiTmE4cw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

No one would visit a restaurant in that area without parking. Is not walkable, even though traffic is bad. The building with the first floor designed to be walkable and parking on upper floors would make the very first "walkable" section of that area. This is replacing a bank with a  giant surface lot.

• Like 1

Street view to 2011 that billboard was put in in place of a large oak tree. Supposedly the oak tree was dead but it was very much healthy. That one and along with another one in front of the Bank of America went in at the expense of these beautiful Oak trees. I'm pretty sickened with how Dr Phillips has evolved.

12 hours ago, shardoon said:

I think the entire complex of the DP marketplace's days are numbered. I can envision completely rebuilt retail and restaurant plaza, maybe attracting some higher end boutique stores like in Miami ala LV, gucci , prada etc.  Yes, they have those in Millenia, but having them close to DP and Windermere and the tourists, I can see something like that working.............. AFTER............ Sand lake road is expanded and the SLR I4 interchage is done. 

Good luck — it’s not happening.

You people want Miami. DP wants traffic calming. 

7 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

Good luck — it’s not happening.

You people want Miami. DP wants traffic calming. 

I've lived in DP since the early 90's so I have seen decades of poor planning by the county. News flash, the people who approve these plans do not listen to the DP residents as demonstrated countless times. Money talks. On the other hand, I am happy you moved on from sick sexual predatory posts. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, shardoon said:

That could in fact work (multiple locations of some high end retailers.  We already have a few higher-end retailers at Diz Springs...

If they expanded SLR in DP, I would consider changing how the road is laid out ala lanes, a local parallel road, etc.  I don't know if that is probable; traffic circles perhaps; something to promote staying in there.

that article above... I saw stuff on the retail-garage, but I missed the part about the apartment building high rise...

21 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

That could in fact work (multiple locations of some high end retailers.  We already have a few higher-end retailers at Diz Springs...

If they expanded SLR in DP, I would consider changing how the road is laid out ala lanes, a local parallel road, etc.  I don't know if that is probable; traffic circles perhaps; something to promote staying in there.

that article above... I saw stuff on the retail-garage, but I missed the part about the apartment building high rise...

Actually, I believe they are starting very soon the sand lake road expansion. they are adding another lane in each direction that will be reserved for turns (which we all know will just be used as another lane) from I4 to Apopka Vineland. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Actually, I believe they are starting very soon the sand lake road expansion. they are adding another lane in each direction that will be reserved for turns (which we all know will just be used as another lane) from I4 to Apopka Vineland. 

maybe this is a good opportunity for Orange County to consider a new bridge or two over I-4 as an alternate access road to SLR.  Darryl Carter is doing wonders down there, north of 535, and is a great "next cross street" to CFLA Pkwy.  But IMO there has to be one north of CFLA Pkwy and south of SLR.  And the closest easement I can think of that is a little too far south but they don't have to purchase easement to do it is Exhibit Drive on the north side of OCCC West Bldg between it and Rosen Plaza.  Believe it or not, that location is almost the same distance to CFLA Pkwy as CFLA Pkwy is to Darryl Carter to the south, and maybe a block farther than the distance north to SLR.  Check it out on Google Maps.  

If they did that, then maybe they could divert some traffic away from SLR for cars trying to hit Turkey Lake Road/ Palm Pkwy.  As for space needed, just do it like the Central Pkwy exit in Altamonte; make the exit ramps elevated at the intersection with no huge typical easement seen at other exits.  On this note, Grand National overpass and Lexus Lane exit has alleviated some traffic off of Kirkman Road, and, the underpass of Radebaugh Wy to the north for people criss-crossing to the other side of I-4 trying to avoid the larger roads.

23 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

maybe this is a good opportunity for Orange County to consider a new bridge or two over I-4 as an alternate access road to SLR.  Darryl Carter is doing wonders down there, north of 535, and is a great "next cross street" to CFLA Pkwy.  But IMO there has to be one north of CFLA Pkwy and south of SLR.  And the closest easement I can think of that is a little too far south but they don't have to purchase easement to do it is Exhibit Drive on the north side of OCCC West Bldg between it and Rosen Plaza.  Believe it or not, that location is almost the same distance to CFLA Pkwy as CFLA Pkwy is to Darryl Carter to the south, and maybe a block farther than the distance north to SLR.  Check it out on Google Maps.  

If they did that, then maybe they could divert some traffic away from SLR for cars trying to hit Turkey Lake Road/ Palm Pkwy.  As for space needed, just do it like the Central Pkwy exit in Altamonte; make the exit ramps elevated at the intersection with no huge typical easement seen at other exits.  On this note, Grand National overpass and Lexus Lane exit has alleviated some traffic off of Kirkman Road, and, the underpass of Radebaugh Wy to the north for people criss-crossing to the other side of I-4 trying to avoid the larger roads.

I think we discussed this in the past as well. I am all for it, however, there is not much land to deal with on the Turkey Lake Road side. Therefore, the costs will be quit large having to build up a flyover to make that connection. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shardoon said:

Ohh that's how they're getting around it.  I was gonna say that for years the County said that road couldn't have more than 3 through lanes there for legal reasons.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, codypet said:

Ohh that's how they're getting around it.  I was gonna say that for years the County said that road couldn't have more than 3 through lanes there for legal reasons.

I've heard this before and seems to be true, but I never understood this because other countys go to 4 through lanes without issues. I know going to 4 lanes, they usually remove all permissive signals and go to protected only, which means signal cycle times can be longer, negating some benefit of the extra lane, but why is Orange County otherwise restricted when other districts are not?

2 hours ago, aent said:

I've heard this before and seems to be true, but I never understood this because other countys go to 4 through lanes without issues. I know going to 4 lanes, they usually remove all permissive signals and go to protected only, which means signal cycle times can be longer, negating some benefit of the extra lane, but why is Orange County otherwise restricted when other districts are not?

I think its only Sand Lake Road and a handful of others with this restriction.  

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Hotel-News/Waldorf-Astoria-Orlando-renovations

I knew they were in the process of completing a new ballroom between Waldorf and Signia Hilton in the middle there between the two on the grounds-side, but I guess this is a multi phase reno.

fascinating that Conrad looked to Ritz and Four Seasons' occupancy which got them to build in Orlando.  I'm sure Waldorf was the other property they tracked as well.

They also recently opened a Dior at Millennia.  And, the Louis store...they said it's like the most profitable or busiest one in the chain.  How insane is that?

Dior...

or

Dee-ohh...

1 original-depp-dior-jpg-3e7406.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jrs2 said:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Hotel-News/Waldorf-Astoria-Orlando-renovations

I knew they were in the process of completing a new ballroom between Waldorf and Signia Hilton in the middle there between the two on the grounds-side, but I guess this is a multi phase reno.

fascinating that Conrad looked to Ritz and Four Seasons' occupancy which got them to build in Orlando.  I'm sure Waldorf was the other property they tracked as well.

They also recently opened a Dior at Millennia.  And, the Louis store...they said it's like the most profitable or busiest one in the chain.  How insane is that?

Dior...

or

Dee-ohh...

Yes, many of the Millenia stores are among the busiest in their companies that most technically have flagship status and teams of stylists/personal shoppers to the clients visiting hotels and everything. Part of the reason many stores shuffled around in the last cycle of store renovations which brought an increased presence of additional luxury retailers. If Millenia had the ability to expand, it would do so well and see a number of stores enter the market.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

"In an SEC filing, Disney said it would be accelerating investment in Disney Parks, Experiences and Products over a 10-year period to about $60B, nearly double that in the previous 10-year period."

https://seekingalpha.com/news/4013164-disney-slips-after-move-to-double-parks-investments-to-60b

incredible.  They must know Comcasts long range plans past Epic U... (not like those haven't been alluded to already in so many fan articles and videos).

But that's a hefty number (spread out over FL, CA, and abroad, of course).

I will give Disney kudos ala that Four Seasons is on its property, and that hotel was one of the major catalysts in Conrad deciding to open up shop here.

• Like 1

The rate they're spending on Disney and Universal Parks, and the rate of decline at SeaWorld and Busch Gardens, the latter two are gonna start feeling like FunSpot vs Universal in the  early 00's.

Actually speaking of FunSpot.  Somehow they managed to buy an RMC coaster. (RMC being the same manufacturer that brought Iron Gwazi to Busch Gardens)

Arie Force One

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, codypet said:

The rate they're spending on Disney and Universal Parks, and the rate of decline at SeaWorld and Busch Gardens, the latter two are gonna start feeling like FunSpot vs Universal in the  early 00's.

Busch just needs to keep on building more coasters at SW.  I think that will be their saving grace.

I would reclaim part of the parking lot and build into it much like they did on the other side with the retention pond.  And I would build more of the thrill-class extreme coasters.  And I would keep pushing Howl-O-Scream and try to land an IP that deals with horror (right now the only "scary" character they have, other than an actual "sea wolf" Orca that eats dolphins and drowns Blue Whales in the wild, is the Count from Sesame Street).