Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

5 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

@jrs2

I usually beat you to most of the videos you post because I'm a theme park dork and I follow a lot of those content creators on YouTube. You should check out coaster studios video of ride roller coaster testing at epic universe. It's pretty dope. I don't know how to input a video on here, but I think you might appreciate that.

Very cool.

Check out my amateur shot of Epic U from downtown. You can see Grand Helios and the other two 10 story Epic U hotels with Hilton Orlando in the background. I need a better camera. It's a cool perspective...

20240319_111135.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Very cool.

Check out my amateur shot of Epic U from downtown. You can see Grand Helios and the other two 10 story Epic U hotels with Hilton Orlando in the background. I need a better camera. It's a cool perspective...

20240319_111135.jpg

Never seen that perspective! Awesome.

Man I miss my photos. Took them when I had a Huawei phone which was far ahead of its time but they are banned here so:/.

I saw this opportunity to look downtowns way on a video soni screeenshotted it .

IMG_0386.jpeg

3 hours ago, codypet said:

@IAmFloridaBorn Interesting.  I've been kinda outside so aside from following Coaster Studios I've been getting a lot of enjoyment out of Bright Sun Films especially their Abandoned series.  For a Canadian Youtuber, he's got a TON of Orlando history.

I appreciate Bright Sun Films. Love when his content drop because even as a local I'm usually pleasantly surprised. Also has a nice presentation for his channel. Easy to follow info being presented.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Never seen that perspective! Awesome.

Man I miss my photos. Took them when I had a Huawei phone which was far ahead of its time but they are banned here so:/.

a buddy of mine mentioned a Chinese cell company literally the other day when he was bouncing between Iphone15ProMax, GooglePixel8, and GalaxyS24Ultra.  I thought it was this brand...

So, I wonder if the hotel is going to be considered the next "attraction" after Penguin Trek as far as money investment is concerned.  The hotel is looking to be a great project.  It's like a "book-end" to the SE corner of the property, complimenting what Kraken and Manta or Mako give it.

The more Sea World shakes off the, in my opinion, tired theme of having animals at a theme park (which is very Old Florida), and continues with the coasters to make it more of a thrill park, and have the first on-site hotel, this will be a good transformation.  Sea World has already expanded its offerings to include Aquatica and Discovery Cove, which is impressive for it's footprint of offerings, but the hotel I think will transform it much farther.  Penguin Trek is a great addition/transformational development.

All of this will perhaps keep Universal on its toes; not that Universal needs that extra motivation to keep building since they are competing with WDW.  But, Busch investing and bringing Howl O Scream to Orlando is huge.  Everyone I know that comes to town for HHN also goes to Howl at Sea World and in Tampa.  Why wouldn't you?  That's a great seasonal attraction that puts it in the same conversation with Universal ala HHN.  Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween is for kids and is a Disneyesque seasonal attraction.  But Howl puts Sea World's foot in the door of that type of dollar.  And the multi-park pass also helps out Busch Gardens from tourists that might not otherwise drive to Tampa.  But it's healthy to do that every once in a while.

Rambling has momentarily concluded...

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

the Penguin Trek coaster...look how it hugs the border with the parking lot.  It is yet another "barricade" with the park and an unsightly surface lot.  I didn't realize that until I saw this:

https://bgwfans.com/2021/bgwfans-leaks-seaworld-orlandos-project-penguin/

1 1 1 1 Composite-1-1024x911.jpg

That's Pipeline (aka Project Penguin), their most recent coaster. Penguin Trek is using the penguin exhibit. 

I'm personally not a fan of SeaWorld's identity crisis in the wake of being targeted by animal activitists. It's quickly turned into a Six Flags with a different name, not just due to their propensity for building nothing but coasters now, but also due to their falling show standards overall. The park is currently in a sad state, and I can't imagine what will happen when they have to phase out the orcas and possibly other animal shows. They're certainly not up to competing with Universal, at Halloween or just in general. Howl-o-Scream is a decent little diversion, if repetitive, but it's nowhere close to dragging people away from HHN. The crowds have always been very light in my experience, about what you'd expect for the level of product on offer. HHN is perhaps too popular for its own good, but it still has no real competition. 

Edited by F-L-A
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

So, I wonder if the hotel is going to be considered the next "attraction" after Penguin Trek as far as money investment is concerned.  The hotel is looking to be a great project.  It's like a "book-end" to the SE corner of the property, complimenting what Kraken and Manta or Mako give it.

The more Sea World shakes off the, in my opinion, tired theme of having animals at a theme park (which is very Old Florida), and continues with the coasters to make it more of a thrill park, and have the first on-site hotel, this will be a good transformation.  Sea World has already expanded its offerings to include Aquatica and Discovery Cove, which is impressive for it's footprint of offerings, but the hotel I think will transform it much farther.  Penguin Trek is a great addition/transformational development.

All of this will perhaps keep Universal on its toes; not that Universal needs that extra motivation to keep building since they are competing with WDW.  But, Busch investing and bringing Howl O Scream to Orlando is huge.  Everyone I know that comes to town for HHN also goes to Howl at Sea World and in Tampa.  Why wouldn't you?  That's a great seasonal attraction that puts it in the same conversation with Universal ala HHN.  Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween is for kids and is a Disneyesque seasonal attraction.  But Howl puts Sea World's foot in the door of that type of dollar.  And the multi-park pass also helps out Busch Gardens from tourists that might not otherwise drive to Tampa.  But it's healthy to do that every once in a while.

Rambling has momentarily concluded...

I think the hotel is the next big project. I think the next attraction comes after Penguin trek opens this year. I think we could see some movement behind the old wild Arctic area.

6 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Do we know about this:  15 story, 500+ room hotel at SeaWorld with parking deck and walkway to park, adjacent to the retention pond at I-Drive & CFLA Pkwy.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/seaworld-hotel-orlando-plans

1 1 1 1 hotel-1.webp

1 1 1 1 hotel-3.webp

1 1 1 1 swo-hotel2.png

I believe this and another smaller hotel on the discovery Cove side is going to be Seaworld focus for 2025, 2026 as epic universe settles into the area

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I think the hotel is the next big project. I think the next attraction comes after Penguin trek opens this year. I think we could see some movement behind the old wild Arctic area.

I believe this and another smaller hotel on the discovery Cove side is going to be Seaworld focus for 2025, 2026 as epic universe settles into the area

I think once the Wild Arctic replacement happens, you'll see Journey to Atlantis close and get replaced.   That ride is rapidly decaying so fast its alarming.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, F-L-A said:

That's Pipeline (aka Project Penguin), their most recent coaster. Penguin Trek is using the penguin exhibit. 

I'm personally not a fan of SeaWorld's identity crisis in the wake of being targeted by animal activitists. It's quickly turned into a Six Flags with a different name, not just due to their propensity for building nothing but coasters now, but also due to their falling show standards overall. The park is currently in a sad state, and I can't imagine what will happen when they have to phase out the orcas and possibly other animal shows. They're certainly not up to competing with Universal, at Halloween or just in general. Howl-o-Scream is a decent little diversion, if repetitive, but it's nowhere close to dragging people away from HHN. The crowds have always been very light in my experience, about what you'd expect for the level of product on offer. HHN is perhaps too popular for its own good, but it still has no real competition. 

Whoops.  How did I screw that up?

IMO, SeaWorld will never turn into a Six Flags-quality park because of Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and how I-Drive and CFLA Pkwy are so manicured around its borders.  Now, throw in this new hotel (and the other one near Discovery Cove), and you'll have a theme park with on site hotel(s) which also sets it apart.  SW also has a great location.  It is shielded from devolving in that manner I think...

HHN is  in a class of its own.  But I like the idea of Howl trying to compete.  It will be going on Year 3 in Orlando, which means they are making money with it- and that's a great thing...its progress.  And its exciting to see how big it can get in Orlando.  All the HHN cultists (me being one of them), need more of it, and Howl provides that.  It's like going to Megacon, going through withdrawal when it ends, and then driving to Tampa or SoFla to go to a smaller similar show just to get that extra fix.  Howl is that fix...and its here now; its an Orlando thing now...  SW just needs some sort of IP to sprinkle in there.  There's gotta be something.

13 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I think that hotel is going to be a big deal for them...and really add visually to that zone.

19 hours ago, F-L-A said:

I don't think I addressed the main point of your post:  I think you are right ala the comparison regarding just making coasters versus actual exhibits with wildlife.  I think they are probably following the money and chasing the hot item right now ala attractions.  I think they should sprinkle in themed bars and eateries; like maybe their version of Ice Bar for the Arctic theme, because you don't see that sort of thing often.  Dunno.  Maybe these animal exhibits cost to much to maintain, in that they need to make a certain minimum overall before devoting money towards operational costs of those exhibits...

Edited by jrs2

7 hours ago, codypet said:

I think once the Wild Arctic replacement happens, you'll see Journey to Atlantis close and get replaced.   That ride is rapidly decaying so fast its alarming.

it's either gonna be that or the old turtle trek building for something unless they decide to build a parking garage and free up some of that horribly used space in their parking lot

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 7:46 PM, F-L-A said:

I still think SeaWorld's decline has little to do with the animal activists and Blackfish, and everything to do with Busch selling them to private equity, and subsequently removing free stuff and customer service without lowering the price. SeaWorld then double downed by downgrading all the animal exhibits as well. SeaWorld would be wise to embrace the animals again, no one with that mentality is ever going to SeaWorld anyways, and listening to those people in just bad business.

I'd really like to see some stuff other then coasters. I do have to admit on Howl-O-Scream at SeaWorld, I thought the shows were literally BETTER then HHN. They did a stunning job on their first few years bringing the event to Orlando. The haunted houses also seemed to be close to competing with HHN, but they seemed quite a bit understaffed (and an employee confirmed that to me that there were supposed to be many more "Scare-actors" working that night, but I got the impression that was a recurring issue.

4 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

it's either gonna be that or the old turtle trek building for something unless they decide to build a parking garage and free up some of that horribly used space in their parking lot

Unless they're changed it, the master plan is to eventually relocate the parking to the Aquatica area, its unlikely they put money into a parking garage on that side of the street. This first hotel is replacing the team member parking surface lots, so thats likely the first thing to move.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

They're using the old Turtle Trek building for their new Coral exhibit, but that seems kind of hobbled together IMO.

10 hours ago, aent said:

I'd really like to see some stuff other then coasters. I do have to admit on Howl-O-Scream at SeaWorld, I thought the shows were literally BETTER then HHN. They did a stunning job on their first few years bringing the event to Orlando. The haunted houses also seemed to be close to competing with HHN, but they seemed quite a bit understaffed (and an employee confirmed that to me that there were supposed to be many more "Scare-actors" working that night, but I got the impression that was a recurring issue.

They're understaffed everywhere.  There's portions of the park where some of the stands aren't open and haven't been for months.   Busch Gardens did this too.  Their Pantopia midway section in some cases has been replaced with rows of claw machines.  

10 hours ago, aent said:

Unless they're changed it, the master plan is to eventually relocate the parking to the Aquatica area, its unlikely they put money into a parking garage on that side of the street. This first hotel is replacing the team member parking surface lots, so thats likely the first thing to move.

I have a hard time believing they'll do anything to the parking lot in the foreseeable future.  Especially with the  new parking renovation.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, aent said:

I still think SeaWorld's decline has little to do with the animal activists and Blackfish, and everything to do with Busch selling them to private equity, and subsequently removing free stuff and customer service without lowering the price. SeaWorld then double downed by downgrading all the animal exhibits as well. SeaWorld would be wise to embrace the animals again, no one with that mentality is ever going to SeaWorld anyways, and listening to those people in just bad business.

One of the times I went to HHN- at that time of day, a few of the houses were under-manned.  There's nothing like the Halloween 2 house when there is a Michael Meyers every time you turn a corner.  And when waiting in line, that line of new shift employees walking by wearing cloaks like Darth Sidious is also a great "effect."  But when there aren't enough employees, it loses its luster...

So, if they put a parking lot near Aquatica, I assume they will build skywalks like at Diz Springs?

Regarding the PETA stuff, I view the new coasters more so in the new thing category rather than in the more appropriate thing category.   New tech always makes a huge impact.  Maybe they also decided to mirror what the other parks are doing that they see a demand for...

42 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I saw the PCDev video yesterday, and he really got some great shots. He's also very right about the hotels. Seeing them on camera do them no justice vs seeing them in person..

his video and the other one each show different shots that we haven't seen before...

Both of these video use stills from bioreconstruct on Twitter/X. They post a lot of new aerial photos each week. If you want as close to a real time update as you can get it worth giving them a follow. Some of their recent photos also cover the Sand Lake/Kirkman Interchange and the DDI at Sand Lake and I-4 in addition to park construction. 

• Like 1