Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

thanks for the update. I was wondering about this hotel since we have not heard much after the original announcement. 

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

those other renderings really show it being really flush with Destination Pkwy and/or Universal Blvd.

53 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Too tall for its location in my opinion.

Wish it were further to the West 

I don't think it's going to make much of a difference, unless maybe you're living directly across from it & hate big buildings. But the whole vibe of Universal Blvd. is going to change once Epic Universe opens, and this may not even be the largest project to come. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Too tall for its location in my opinion.

Wish it were further to the West 

IMO, Vista Cay should have never been allowed to be built adjacent to the OCCC N/S property, which, ideally, should have been zoned for major convention-class hotels. And Vista Cay begat the apartment complex across the street (and next to the W proposal), and that Publix mini center around the corner.  I mean, when the alternative is weeds, then, I get it.  But that can't be allowed to become the standard for future developments.  That's like the Crescent people downtown that gave Society all that grief because "it was too big."  And when they extended Universal Blvd years ago from Pointe Orlando and out to Orangewood exit and built the OCCC N/S expansion, and then Rosen Shingle Creek, I doubt suburban apartment complex-type of developments were what they were originally contemplating to fill that area in.  But, now we see a plethora of apartment buildings filling in parcels up and down I-Drive and Universal Blvd to try and get more residents living there.  With that in mind, I don't think those residential units should dictate future project scale- in that zone.  

The only other things in that area are the former Westin at like 12-14 stories where Village of Imagine was once proposed, Rosen Shingle Creek, UCF, and that Hilton Orlando; all large projects.  That is of course until Epic Universe opens up with those two hotels, one of which literally is just a few feet from the fence line of that apartment complex. 

I think W hotel will help to bookend that area nicely keeping in mind that it’s quite close to the EPIC hotels under construction facing Universal Blvd.  Most of all though, I find its offerings most exciting — the restaurants, bars, pool deck and venue all guarantee it will be a runaway success. And if it is, this could bring similar brands to Orlando that aren’t here right now (let’s say for instance, the Standard brand).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

IMO, Vista Cay should have never been allowed to be built adjacent to the OCCC N/S property, which, ideally, should have been zoned for major convention-class hotels. And Vista Cay begat the apartment complex across the street (and next to the W proposal), and that Publix mini center around the corner.  I mean, when the alternative is weeds, then, I get it.  But that can't be allowed to become the standard for future developments.  

The couple blocks of Vista Cay, District Apartments, and Courtney/Addison across the street are some of the better urbanism in Orange County. Way more urban than the landscape of parking lots and retention ponds these hotels bring. Nonetheless, it looks like there will be a mix of both: lots of new Universal hotels planned (not sure how accurate the map below is, but definitely interesting) as well as the workforce housing proposed by Universal behind Vista Cay. 

(Also, Universal Blvd. should have a streetcar running in the median from Rosen College to CityWalk, but I digress...) 

CDN media

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, orlandocity87 said:

The couple blocks of Vista Cay, District Apartments, and Courtney/Addison across the street are some of the better urbanism in Orange County. Way more urban than the landscape of parking lots and retention ponds these hotels bring. Nonetheless, it looks like there will be a mix of both: lots of new Universal hotels planned (not sure how accurate the map below is, but definitely interesting) as well as the workforce housing proposed by Universal behind Vista Cay. 

(Also, Universal Blvd. should have a streetcar running in the median from Rosen College to CityWalk, but I digress...) 

CDN media

Actually, very good points.  I used to shop at that Walgreens at Vista Cay; those newest two central buildings with garages really brought that complex together nicely, and those units are really nice.  

I will say this about Courtney/Addison, more on keel with what @IAmFloridaBornwas saying...that one Epic U hotel literally goes right up to the fence line between the two properties.  It's bizarre how close it is and how zoning allowed that without a setback from the neighboring parcel.  I snapped a photo before and uploaded it I thought...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jrs2 said:

IMO, Vista Cay should have never been allowed to be built adjacent to the OCCC N/S property, which, ideally, should have been zoned for major convention-class hotels. And Vista Cay begat the apartment complex across the street (and next to the W proposal), and that Publix mini center around the corner.  I mean, when the alternative is weeds, then, I get it.  But that can't be allowed to become the standard for future developments.  That's like the Crescent people downtown that gave Society all that grief because "it was too big."  And when they extended Universal Blvd years ago from Pointe Orlando and out to Orangewood exit and built the OCCC N/S expansion, and then Rosen Shingle Creek, I doubt suburban apartment complex-type of developments were what they were originally contemplating to fill that area in.  But, now we see a plethora of apartment buildings filling in parcels up and down I-Drive and Universal Blvd to try and get more residents living there.  With that in mind, I don't think those residential units should dictate future project scale- in that zone.  

The only other things in that area are the former Westin at like 12-14 stories where Village of Imagine was once proposed, Rosen Shingle Creek, UCF, and that Hilton Orlando; all large projects.  That is of course until Epic Universe opens up with those two hotels, one of which literally is just a few feet from the fence line of that apartment complex. 

Universal didn't even build their centerpiece hotel that tall.That is all I'm saying. That hotel is too tall for the area. I never thought I'd even be the one to say this, but I understand things a bit different now and it's just bad zoning, but of course people are going to defend it because of the brand. Orange  county does not zone well and it's going to start to show and reveal it's ugly head real soon if not already . those apartments and 7-Eleven should've never been built the way they are.

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Universal didn't even build their centerpiece hotel that tall.That is all I'm saying. That hotel is too tall for the area. I never thought I'd even be the one to say this, but I understand things a bit different now and it's just bad zoning, but of course people are going to defend it because of the brand. Orange  county does not zone well and it's going to start to show and reveal it's ugly head real soon if not already . those apartments and 7-Eleven should've never been built the way they are.

I agree it’s bad zoning, but on behalf of the apartments, 7-11, and Vista Cay. Those were built knowing that Universal was putting a theme park and hotels literally in their backyard. 
Universal Blvd was built as an extension of the tourism district of I-Drive. For that reason, I think it’s fair game for W to build a 22 floor hotel there. It’s less than mile from the 428’ Hyatt Regency and even closer to the 15 floor Rosen Shingle Creek. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 7:39 AM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I think I know what Universal was going for...

If a patron in inside Epic Universe and they are looking south, you have those two 10 story hotels as visual barricades to the outside.  They are also bookending Kirkman Road Extension.  That Hilton Orlando is like 18 stories, but you won't be able to see it from that visual sightline as a patron.  Similarly, the Grand Helios is like in the teens in floor count and is much taller.  It's a "barricade as well to the NE.  Its fascinating.   And on top of all of this, the lands within Epic U are barricaded at their respective borders, so you are completely immersed within each.  But when you are in the central spine of the park, where the fountains and carousel are, you won't see much of anything outside the park.

So I think their intent was to get two hotels as wide as they could for this purpose.  Aesthetics.  And they have more parcels around there to continue with the same strategy.

Back when Skyplex had its hearing at The County, Universal's attorney made a concession: she said we're not against it per se, but just make it shorter (as they didn't want Harry Potter patrons seeing it as they walked through that attraction).  What's funny about this is that I thought they were talking about the two existing parks; I was like, you can't see that far to SLR to see Skyplex no matter how tall it is.  But, unbeknownst to everyone, they were really talking about the future Epic Universe, which is so much closer to SLR & Canada Ave.

My point? It usually gets lost in my long posts: my point is that the lack of height is the result of Universal making these hotels just tall enough to accomplish their intended aesthetic purpose.  But that shouldn't be a standard setter for the area with regards to height (IMO).

On 3/16/2024 at 11:48 AM, Ivanhoe said:

I agree it’s bad zoning, but on behalf of the apartments, 7-11, and Vista Cay. Those were built knowing that Universal was putting a theme park and hotels literally in their backyard. 
Universal Blvd was built as an extension of the tourism district of I-Drive. For that reason, I think it’s fair game for W to build a 22 floor hotel there. It’s less than mile from the 428’ Hyatt Regency and even closer to the 15 floor Rosen Shingle Creek. 

oh that area is without a doubt part of the Tourist District.  IMO, they should have 55 story hotels there, and if someone wants to build a suburban-style apartment complex in between there, then...so be it.  But that zone which includes Universal Blvd and Destination Pkwy- all the way to 528, IMO, should be fair game for major high rise projects.  You can't have suburban apartment complexes dictating a new toned down scale of height just because they were built there (when IMO they shouldn't have been).  If anything, that apartment complex should have been an urban style complex with attached garages.  Instead they chose the route of say what you would see around UCF--in the old days, because even UCF apartment buildings over the past 8-10 years have become multi-story urban apartment buildings with garages. 

This style which was built SINCE those urban apartments buildings were built actually went backwards in design...BACKWARDS.  Imagine that!  Take a look at that apartment building at Dezerland (with a second one underway).  That is the style of what should have been built here on Universal Blvd. 4-5 stories; maybe more.  There's an even bigger one u/c at Major Blvd & Grand National which is replacing Mystery Fun House Plaza.  Stunning project.  And there is yet another similar project built recently right behind TopGolf with a breathtaking view of the bordering retention pond at Martin Lockheed.  Shoot...even Crescent, which was complaining about Society's height and bulk, would have been more appropriate for the tourist zone...

Vista Cay was the catalyst here.  But, it was the zoning because before Vista Cay was built, Village of Imagine (Former Westin) was proposed as a "spread out campus resort".

It's funny. Universal has their original master plan.  Then 9-11 happens. Then they sell the land with restrictions to Orange County and OCCC N/S gets built.  At that juncture, I think the County was like we'll take whatever we can get and, voila, Vista Cay was built.

• Like 1

@jrs2

I usually beat you to most of the videos you post because I'm a theme park dork and I follow a lot of those content creators on YouTube. You should check out coaster studios video of ride roller coaster testing at epic universe. It's pretty dope. I don't know how to input a video on here, but I think you might appreciate that.

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 1