Greenville Mall

motonenterprises

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still working on getting retail and office tenants and a hotel, but at least a few stores are set to join "Magnolia Park Town Center":

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs..../605210328/1003

Required disclaimer: This project will be a massive success, and it will be great for Greenville; if retailers such as Tiffany's, Prada and Bergdorf Goodman don't come, they are blind. Any criticism of it shows ignorance.

This is everything I could have hoped for! AWESOME!!! :yahoo:

I agree with you Skyliner. Looks like the developer has plans for a first class property! :thumbsup: The rendering looks good, a Greenridge type development, but more contemporary. Any idea who the major office tenant is?

To me the article illustrates that this project could go either one of two ways and the end result is not certain. The office and residential components might come about. If they did, that would make this project a 'first' in that it would be truly mixed-use in a suburban location. Having those elements would likely increase the height and visible impression from I-385 and I-85. I especially liked the underground parking for the office building.

However, there is only one potential for the office project. If they decline, then that use goes away. The commitment to residential seems tepid at this point too. While we should all hope for a true mixed-use project, I would not count those chickens yet.

With all of this going on the site, Bass Pro Shops must be going elsewhere. Someone made a reference to "The Plaza" [for Bass Pro Shop], did they mean "The Point"?

A few points about the project that I find of interest:

1. No definitive office tenant yet

2. No definitive housing yet

3. No definitive hotel yet

4. No definitive retailers yet, other than Rooms to Go, Costco, Sports Authority, the movie theater and a few others- so big-name, upscale retailers or a Bass Pro Shops aren't yet on board

So what do we definitively have? The big-box and other retailers listed above, plus the movie theater. Let's imagine that a Ralph Lauren store or a Lacoste store or the like is thinking about coming to Greenville; now why would either one of those pick a shopping center with co-anchors such as Rooms to Go over Greenridge or Haywood? I recall as well that office buildings were mentioned in connection with the mall's renovation in 1995, but they never appeared.

Required disclaimer: This project will be a massive success, and it will be great for Greenville; if retailers such as Tiffany's, Prada and Bergdorf Goodman don't come, they are blind. Any criticism of it shows ignorance.

I won't be convinced that Bass Pro Shops is coming here, until I see a report that they actually are. In truth, really the only people who know if their coming here or not is the group who bought the Greenville Mall and is going to change it into this and the owners of Bass Pro Shops.

I thought it was interesting that Nordstrom apparently looked into the market, but decided that it was too small? :blink: I don't think this is the type of development that they'd be interested in in the first place, but it's an interesting tid bit in the article.

Someone made a reference to "The Plaza" ..., did they mean "The Point"?

That was GvilleSC. "The Plaza" is the Plaza at the Greenville Mall (Bed Bath & Beyond, Old Navy, CompUSA, etc.), I'm sure.

I won't be convinced that Bass Pro Shops is coming here, until I see a report that they actually are. In truth, really the only people who know if they're coming here or not are the group who bought the Greenville Mall and are going to change it into this and the owners of Bass Pro Shops.

Oh, I'm sure there may be somebody else out there that knows. :thumbsup:

Although landing Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World would certainly be a plus for our area, I don't think it'd be an announcement of monumental proportions. Maybe I underestimate the market? :unsure:

I agree with you, RT. Bass Pro Shops tends to locate in or around bigger cities, but they also have locations in markets that are not as strong or as big as Greenville's:

- Council Bluffs, Iowa

- Pearl, Mississippi

- Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

I hope we get a Bass Pro Shops, simply because they are a well-known retailer that caters to outdoor-minded people (which would be good for our area). It is something that we don't have yet. Based on what I have heard (I hinted at it in another thread), they will locate at the Greenville Mall site. If that turns out not to be true, it is not the end of the world.

After all, we are Greenville. We should not be reduced to basing the quality of a new development on whether or not Bass Pro Shops is a part of it.

That was GvilleSC. "The Plaza" is the Plaza at the Greenville Mall (Bed Bath & Beyond, Old Navy, CompUSA, etc.), I'm sure.

Oh, I'm sure there may be somebody else out there that knows. :thumbsup:

Although landing Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World would certainly be a plus for our area, I don't think it'd be an announcement of monumental proportions. Maybe I underestimate the market? :unsure:

Heh...I remember when the term "The Plaza" meant Lewis Plaza off Augusta Road, the area's first strip shopping center outside of downtown.

So still no development on where Palmetto Home will move? The last I heard was that they were looking at Laurens Rd. a few months ago :blush:

That'd be great if they could do well on Laurens... I know for sure that it won't be the Service Merchandise Building.

Other than the Service Merchandise building, I have no idea where else on Laurens they could go. How about that old Goody's building? Is it still available? It would probably be too small. I would say Best Buy, but that building looks hardly suitable for a store the likes of PH&G. But, seeing what they did to the old Lowes for Jeff Lynch, anything's possible I guess.

It won't be the Service Merchandise location becuase it has a new tennant. Forget the name but it is a discount suit store.

Also, saw in a article that Grand Furnishings has been sold or had found a tennant, I wonder if that is them.

Are you thinking of the K & G fashion store that is going into Marshall's? That is a discount suit store.

It will be interesting to see what goes into or up on the former Grand Home Furnishings if something goes in. This leads me to wonder if the former Lincoln and Mercury dealership site has been sold yet. It would be a prime location for a supermarket to go up.

Oh? It is the Marshall's spot? I didn't even know they were gone. I think when I read the article I pictured the Service Mechandise location, I remember thinking wow, what a big store just to sell suits. That would be a good location for PH&G then if it is still available.

I agree with you, RT. Bass Pro Shops tends to locate in or around bigger cities, but they also have locations in markets that are not as strong or as big as Greenville's:

- Council Bluffs, Iowa

- Pearl, Mississippi

- Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

I hope we get a Bass Pro Shops, simply because they are a well-known retailer that caters to outdoor-minded people (which would be good for our area). It is something that we don't have yet. Based on what I have heard (I hinted at it in another thread), they will locate at the Greenville Mall site. If that turns out not to be true, it is not the end of the world.

After all, we are Greenville. We should not be reduced to basing the quality of a new development on whether or not Bass Pro Shops is a part of it.

Of course, Pearl has a AA Braves team :whistling:

Oh? It is the Marshall's spot? I didn't even know they were gone. I think when I read the article I pictured the Service Mechandise location, I remember thinking wow, what a big store just to sell suits. That would be a good location for PH&G then if it is still available.

It's not still available. :ph34r:

Archived