Greenville Mall

motonenterprises

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know what hotel chain will possibly be going to the Greenville Mall site??? If I understood the article in the Greenville Hournal correctly, Sports Authority and Palmetto Home and Garden will be staying and the hotel, Costco, and Rooms to Go will be added...correct me if I'm wrong. However, one of the managers in Sports Authority/Oshman's told me that they would be closing and the employees would be relocated. Any info??? :huh:

The last I heard from PH&G was when I asked a week or so ago, they said they are wanting to relocate to Laurens Rd. Oshman's/Sports Authority said they will probably be closing in the next couple of months, however this information may have changed.

I was at Sports Authority today and the exterior signs were all new; a complete waste of money if the store is closing soon.

Greenville Mall has the most pitiful mall directory pamphlet I've ever seen- a double-sided Xeroxed copy of a directory. There are some sitting on the customer service desk, which has been moved to the side of the mall against the wall where the Intimate Bookshop was. Good souvenir of a dead mall.

I noticed that about the sign friday, my opininon was when I saw it that they must be staying, then Saturday I saw the TBA section of the Greenville Journal which states that the current anchors will stay. So I supposed that Sports athority and maybe PH&G are not going anywhere.

I also wonder if that means the other anchor buildings are staying as well, maybe homes for the new tennants.

So will Greenville Mall be like Savannah Mall (see its entry on deadmalls.com), whose vacant anchor spaces were replaced with big-box retailers but whose interior space was left? Rooms to Go and Costco could probably fit on the sites of the former JBWhite/Dillard's and Montgomery Ward.

So will Greenville Mall be like Savannah Mall (see its entry on deadmalls.com), whose vacant anchor spaces were replaced with big-box retailers but whose interior space was left? Rooms to Go and Costco could probably fit on the sites of the former JBWhite/Dillard's and Montgomery Ward.

No. Per the devloper, this will be an open air shopping, walkable, center like Greenridge with multiple smaller stores in a village area, a hotel (I'm hearing Sheraton or Four Points by Sheraton), Costco, RTG, and additional theater and several restaurants. No more Greenville Mall....it's being leveled. Also expect a couple of more announcements on additional anchor/big box tenants.

Guys, this development isn't going to be as bad as we all imagined. There is no way, given the price paid for the property (PLUS the cost associated with razing/remodeling). Sure, Rooms to Go and Costco sound like a bad idea, but these developers have a history of doing really good work. Let's give them a chance and at least see the plans before we declare it just another strip mall that is uncreative and bland.

A huge lifestyle center with 10 highrises, luxury amenities, the most upscale shopping, and valet service for all customers would be great, but it is also not practical for Greenville at this point. This will turn out well.

Guys, this development isn't going to be as bad as we all imagined. There is no way, given the price paid for the property (PLUS the cost associated with razing/remodeling). Sure, Rooms to Go and Costco sound like a bad idea, but these developers have a history of doing really good work. Let's give them a chance and at least see the plans before we declare it just another strip mall that is uncreative and bland.

A huge lifestyle center with 10 highrises, luxury amenities, the most upscale shopping, and valet service for all customers would be great, but it is also not practical for Greenville at this point. This will turn out well.

I agree with you Greenville! :thumbsup: Everyone moaned the fact that Lowe's was going into Greenridge and now look at that center/village. The most successful center in Greenville with plenty of upper end eateries and stores. Now days, companies like Saks Fifth Avenue and Target co-exist happily in the same developments. It's about where people WANT to shop.....what's the hot store.....and guys, Costco is a "hot" company. People love it....people from all demographic groups. With a hotel, restaurants and village, I think the redeveloped Greenville Mall site will be quite spectacular.....look at everything going on around it. :thumbsup:

No. Per the devloper, this will be an open air shopping, walkable, center like Greenridge with multiple smaller stores in a village area, a hotel (I'm hearing Sheraton or Four Points by Sheraton), Costco, RTG, and additional theater and several restaurants. No more Greenville Mall....it's being leveled. Also expect a couple of more announcements on additional anchor/big box tenants.

I was thinking that me might see another theater since Canyon Developements is a partner in Canyon Johns Urban Funds and Magic Johnson has his own theater chain.

Also, what I meant about the anchors, is I could see the mall torn down except the anchors remain standing, and a new development designed around them.

No. Per the developer, this will be an open air shopping, walkable, center like Greenridge with multiple smaller stores in a village area, a hotel (I'm hearing Sheraton or Four Points by Sheraton), Costco, RTG, and additional theater and several restaurants. No more Greenville Mall....it's being leveled. Also expect a couple of more announcements on additional anchor/big box tenants.

Another movie theater? What the heck do they need another movie theater for when they have one right next to the Greenville Mall site. :wacko:

Another movie theater? What the heck do they need another movie theater for when they have one right next to the Greenville Mall site. :wacko:

i was wondering that very thing when i read it - thought about it some more - i'm wondering if it's Imax maybe?

And Palmetto Home & Garden is staying- the furniture market in the former Parisian?

That is a nice store but not a class-A retailer- more like a fill-in in a dead mall.

Sorry, I still can't get too excited about this, although it is better than Rooms to Go.

Perhaps Regal Cinemas is going to expand? It's been done before. I'd be rather disappointed if it turned out that the IMAX theatre were going here instead of downtown/west end, too.

Developers et al.. could be blowing smoke..saying they are adding Costco and TRG to the media and have something completely different in mind...

I do not htink this is the case, one of the announcements came from GMAC who is financing the project. I doubt the developer would blow smoke up the bum of their financial backer.

You're getting your wish. They are giving up on this mall and leveling the place for this new development. :thumbsup:

I meant that they should just give up and not waste now $64MM (wasn't that about what Urban Retail spent in '95?) on yet another development there; the site should become a dead mall museum or a park or something.

http://www.cpnonline.com/cpn/regions/artic...t_id=1001698774

This article is upbeat, but people said the same stuff in '95, and the mall then was even much more of a standout, with high-end tenants, than a big-box outdoor center is today.

I meant that they should just give up and not waste now $64MM (wasn't that about what Urban Retail spent in '95?) on yet another development there; the site should become a dead mall museum or a park or something.

http://www.cpnonline.com/cpn/regions/artic...t_id=1001698774

This article is upbeat, but people said the same stuff in '95, and the mall then was even much more of a standout, with high-end tenants, than a big-box outdoor center is today.

The Greenville of 1995 can hardly be compared to the Greenville of 2006, eleven years later. In 1995 there was Greenville Mall and a lot of vacant land. In 2006, there's the Greenville Mall sight surrounded by PF Changs, Carrabas, Whole Foods, Barnes & Noble and all that is The Point and Greenridge. Hardly the same environment, so not really even able to be compared.

Does anyone here know what smaller stores will be located there? What restaurants? What hotel? (I've heard Sheraton). How can anyone be down on a development that very little has leaked out about. I'm betting on the past success and great developments this developer has done in other cities and will hold any criticism until I see a finished product. :D

Archived