First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

^^That rule wouldn't apply to 8th St, given the slower train speeds in Uptown. Back when the park was being designed (like over five years ago), Kinsey actually requested 8th St not to close.

So they would have built a pedestrian-only crossing here if 8th street didn't remain and have a crossing? I guess I'd believe it uptown, but it currently doesn't happen anywhere else along the whole line.

So they would have built a pedestrian-only crossing here if 8th street didn't remain and have a crossing? I guess I'd believe it uptown, but it currently doesn't happen anywhere else along the whole line.

Wouldn't the crossing over Trade count as pedestrian only?  I am referring to the link from TWC Arena to the Epicenter.

His firm is seeking permits for the next stage of construction, a 1,382-space parking deck at 10th and Brevard streets accompanied by a 264-unit apartment building. Under his agreement with the city, 50 of those units will be affordable housing. He said his company hopes to pull permits in November or December and start construction immediately afterward.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/09/18/5184032/leaders-hope-first-ward-park-will.html#.VBt5Aud-cpJ

Probably means the apartment bubble has officially burst :)

• 2 weeks later...

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=13LDU&capID2=00000&capID3=00055

Go to Attachments and download "Approved First Ward Park Plan.pdf"

I have to say this actually seems like a very well thought out Park, along the same lines as Romare Bearden. 

Definitely similar to Bearden, but looks absolutely amazing and is going to be a great addition to the area. Hopefully it doesn't get overrun with homeless people as the rest of First Ward is built up.

So, I'm still trying to put my arms around the whole Levineland project and understand why another park is so essential to the well being of Uptown.  Fourth Ward is basically a great walking park to begin with.  It has great shaded streets and a quiet ambiance.  Third has Bearden park.  Second hopefully will have a transformed Marshall Park at some point down the road, in addition to the Green.  Is another park in First Ward that necessary or is it a larger plan to have a "getaway" spot in each ward?  I would rather see mid-height or taller buildings on that side of town to spread out the skyline.  

So, I'm still trying to put my arms around the whole Levineland project and understand why another park is so essential to the well being of Uptown.  Fourth Ward is basically a great walking park to begin with.  It has great shaded streets and a quiet ambiance.  Third has Bearden park.  Second hopefully will have a transformed Marshall Park at some point down the road, in addition to the Green.  Is another park in First Ward that necessary or is it a larger plan to have a "getaway" spot in each ward?  I would rather see mid-height or taller buildings on that side of town to spread out the skyline.  

And a park, like the one being built now, will help catalyze that!  See third ward!  I'm looking forward to what kind of development comes after 1st Ward Park is done and the light rail is in place, should be a really cool spot.  That said, a city can never have enough parks, IMO.

• Like 1

That is a valid point.  At least in Third Ward, developers are not dealing with someone who can't make up his mind!  If his history of dealing with the city is any indication, I hope that the tide has changed and it gets better for the developers.  Maybe Levine is mellowing out with age.

• Like 1

In Third Ward, a park on public land spurred development on surrounding private land. In First Ward, a park on Levine land is going to spur development on surrounding Levine land?

That's my expectation.  Are you suggesting that the park will be built and the empty lots will sit dormant around it for years to come?

First Ward used to have a park that the Government sold off to developers about 10 years ago and has the developments known as Quarterside and Enclave on it. At the time the goverment said they would replace the old First Ward Park with a new and better park that is under construction today.

If you have an iPhone pull up Apple Maps and you will see something labeled First Ward Park near 7th and McDowell that hasn't been there for 10 years.

Edited by uptownliving

As a resident of Fourth Ward, I completely disagree with you.  4th Ward park is the size of a greenway.  It is just barely enough open space for the existing low and medium rise population, but as you can see with how the Settlers Cemetery dramatically increased in usage from Avenue, it is not enough space to handle a major population growth from filling up Levine's acreage with mid or high rise.   

Open Space is something that is very hard to add after development is coming, like is happening in South End, so it is very much the right choice to arrange for that park as part of forward thinking planning.   In fact, I think 4th Ward Park ought to be looked into for expansion some day to mostly fill out its block, but that is very unlikely.

The plans as uptownliving mentioned were to have a centrally located park in each of the 4 wards, with 1st Ward and Marshall parks being moved/reoriented.  

Either way, that is a done deal thankfully.  However, it is a real fear that we have a park surrounded by parking lots which might be potentially an almost as bad condition as Marshall Park and the old First Ward Park.   But at least there will be UNCC and Imaginon and for god's sake Levine will have to do something at some point.  The forces of greed eventually win out.  

As a resident of Fourth Ward, I completely disagree with you.  4th Ward park is the size of a greenway.  It is just barely enough open space for the existing low and medium rise population, but as you can see with how the Settlers Cemetery dramatically increased in usage from Avenue, it is not enough space to handle a major population growth from filling up Levine's acreage with mid or high rise.   

Open Space is something that is very hard to add after development is coming, like is happening in South End, so it is very much the right choice to arrange for that park as part of forward thinking planning.   In fact, I think 4th Ward Park ought to be looked into for expansion some day to mostly fill out its block, but that is very unlikely.

The plans as uptownliving mentioned were to have a centrally located park in each of the 4 wards, with 1st Ward and Marshall parks being moved/reoriented.  

Either way, that is a done deal thankfully.  However, it is a real fear that we have a park surrounded by parking lots which might be potentially an almost as bad condition as Marshall Park and the old First Ward Park.   But at least there will be UNCC and Imaginon and for god's sake Levine will have to do something at some point.  The forces of greed eventually win out.  

I'm following you.  I was coming at this from a overall "walkability" view.  It has been a while since I actually walked around in 4th Ward.  I just remember the streets having cool sidewalks and a nice, quiet vibe to it.  One that if you walked up and down each street, you could get a decent workout from and with minimal traffic.  Looking at it from a utilitarian standpoint, not an aesthetic standpoint.  Point well taken though!

I also agree with you on the aspect of hoping that Levine does not create just a park that is surrounded by empty lots.  Maybe in our lifetime, we will see that area grow and become like 3rd Ward around Bearden Park.