First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Is that confirmed that he really hired them?   I wonder what milestones they had and penalties, because if I were them, I would be concerned that they would end up like many contractors building condominiums during the boom, with a risk that they will simply stop work if they don't see a strong case that they will get paid for the work.

Home / News / Commercial Real Estate / With county OK, Levine says First Ward project is a go
With county OK, Levine says First Ward project is a go

By: Tony Brown, Staff Writer August 6, 2014

CHARLOTTE – An ambitious and long-anticipated proposal to transform uptown’s First Ward from a maze of parking lots into a $700 million “urban village” is at last a go, developer Daniel Levine said.

10TH-ST-UPDATED-5-12WEB.jpg

The 264 apartments that would be part of Phase 1 of developer Daniel Levine’s First Ward revitalization plan would wrap around a parking garage. Courtesy of Levine Properties

The Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners on Tuesday night unanimously approved amendments to a city-county agreement with Levine Properties to develop structured parking and a county park as part of the $84 million first phase of the 23-acre project.

“Woo-hoo!” Levine said the morning after the vote, and only hours after returning from a vacation cruise that took him to Turkey.

“Now that we’re approved at city and county levels, when the amendments are finalized and executed, we will pull (county building) permits. I’m going to stay away from naming a date. It is imminent, but it is also out of my control.”

In addition to waiting for the amendments to be finalized, Levine said the groundbreaking is also dependent on the completion of work by Duke Energy, Time Warner Cable and AT&T on the overhead utilities in First Ward, “which I understand is going to be by the end of the month.”

The vote by the county board came with a laugh, thanks to repartee between at large Commissioner Trevor Fuller, the chairman of the board, and District 3’s George Dunlap, both Democrats.

After Dunlap moved to approve the changes, Fuller gave the public-private project – which was originally negotiated and planned in 2009 – an eloquent endorsement.

And he urged Levine to hurry up.

“There is a great deal of interest in seeing this project come to fruition,” at-large Commissioner Fuller said.

“I think we’ll all be glad to see shovels in the ground and dirt moving. This is a really nice project and when finished will really transform that area of the center city and county.”

That’s when District 3 Democrat George Dunlap, who had made the motion to approve, jumped in with a rejoinder: “Our vote is all that is standing in the way.”

Fuller got the message, and two quick 9-0 votes later, the deal is all but codified and signed.

Part of the first vote by the commissioners replicated what the Charlotte City Council had approved eight nights earlier: modifications to an agreement giving Levine up to $23.7 million in property tax increment grants to develop 1,335 spaces of structured public parking.

The changes allow Levine to qualify for up to $16.7 million of the city-county economic development grants if the developer completes by July 1, 2016, the construction of a parking deck with 935 spaces.

Levine would be eligible for the other $7 million of the grant only if he provides 400 more structured public parking spaces by Dec. 31, 2019.

Both Levine and city and county officials say that waiting until 2019 to release all $23.7 million was complicating Levine’s attempts to get private financing for the project, which also calls for an apartment building with 214 market-rate units and 50 workforce apartments and $5 million in street and utility improvements.

In addition to signing off on the City Council-approved changes, the county commissioners’ first vote on the project Tuesday also OK’d a few changes to the central component of the project, which does not involve city funding: a 3.2-acre county park that Levine will develop and then hand over the county.

Leslie Johnson, assistant county manager, told the commissioners that the changes involve making one part of the park, which will occupy  almost an entire block, about 6,300 square feet bigger than originally planned; and making a second part of the park, which will be part of an adjacent block, about 6,038 square feet smaller.

The changes, Levine said, were necessitated after land-planners and engineers at Charlotte’s ColeJenest & Stone finalized their plans for the park’s development. Because of the difference Johnson said there is in the market price of land in the two blocks, the commissioners also agreed to give Levine an additional $83,470.

The second vote taken by the commissioners Tuesday authorized County Attorney Marvin Bethune to negotiate a liquidated damages clause that will be added to the agreement.

Although the clause – which Levine said “we agreed to reluctantly, but we agreed to” – has yet to be finalized, Levine said it would most likely involve a $1,000 per day penalty against the developer if the park is not delivered within a 60-grace period after the agreed-upon deadline, Dec. 31, 2015.

Levine said the project “couldn’t have happened without the unanimous support of city and county elective officials from the inception.” But he also bristled at criticism of the holdups in getting it started.

“If you read all the press around our deal, you’d think we were the only deal that was late getting started because of the recession,” Levine said. “Now we are getting ready to launch, and the effects it is going to have should be well worth the wait.”

• Like 2

“Now that we’re approved at city and county levels, when the amendments are finalized and executed, we will pull (county building) permits. I’m going to stay away from naming a date. It is imminent, but it is also out of my control.”

Which also means....we will see ya again in a few years with this same song and dance! "Woo-hoo!" 

I like this part though:

Although the clause – which Levine said “we agreed to reluctantly, but we agreed to” – has yet to be finalized, Levine said it would most likely involve a $1,000 per day penalty against the developer if the park is not delivered within a 60-grace period after the agreed-upon deadline, Dec. 31, 2015.

Edited by Jayvee

Anyway, let's hope for the best. We need this building and park in Uptown. Especially because park will sparkle more development around it.

In a world where Levine didn't own all the land around the park, I would agree. Since he still owns all (?) the land around the park, we're still at his mercy.

I wish we were seeing something with more height being built here though. It doesn't need to be a 25 floor building or anything, but 8-10 floors would have been nice.

It's really funny that one of the heirs to the Dollar General founders runs a real estate development company in Nashville Called Marketstreet, who is responsible for transforming the Gulch area from an old industrial and rail yard to an urban, hip neighborhood just outside the CBD. It's almost frightening how similar their situation, right down to owning a huge urban assemblage of land, yet Marketstreet has actually done something, and done something great. If Charlotte had the Gulch, it would be a better city. I think one of the biggest differences is that Marketstreet probably knows their limitations and has partnered with other developers to make their vision a reality. Too bad we couldnt trade...

• Like 2

The Gulch is pretty awesome. It was built during somewhat of a peak in the market and has struggled to hit those same prices, but appears to be coming back. I would argue that Levine's land is even more connected to the city than the Gulch, which makes the lack of movement particularly tragic. Then again, it's not entirely surprising that a guy known for building suburban office parks and strip malls might not be the most reliable urban developer.

Edit: I just reread the Plan Charlotte article about him from August 2012 and was amused to read that his vision for First Ward is Country Club Plaza in Kansas City. I've been there and while the area is great, it's much more Birkdale than it is Uptown.

Article: http://plancharlotte.org/story/daniel-levine-interview-first-ward-plan-charlotte

CC Plaza: https://countryclubplaza.com/

Edited by carolinagarnet

Edit: I just reread the Plan Charlotte article about him from August 2012 and was amused to read that his vision for First Ward is Country Club Plaza in Kansas City. I've been there and while the area is great, it's much more Birkdale than it is Uptown.

Article: http://plancharlotte.org/story/daniel-levine-interview-first-ward-plan-charlotte

CC Plaza: https://countryclubplaza.com/

I bet in 2012 Country Club Plaza was exactly the kind of place that an out-of-touch developer would think was really cool and trendy (when in reality it was a few years behind the trends by then), just like he's currently saying it'll be like Greenwich Village, which is now a few years behind the trends but he probably thinks it's really on-trend. 

In reference to Country Club Plaza, and what Levine seemed to be saying to me, wasn't at all about what Country Club Plaza looks like (trendy or not), but what it feels like. Like Levine, my family is from Kansas City, and he is correct, the area is just THE PLACE many many people from the KC metro go for life events that are memorable. It was built in 1920 and has maintained this unique relationship with the community for nearly 100 years. It truly is a fine mix of shopping, dining, art, entertainment, public spaces, and housing that if in Charlotte would be the jewel of the city. If Levine could ever pull off anything approaching that feel in Uptown Charlotte it will be a game changer.

Edited by JoshuaDrown

In reference to Country Club Plaza, and what Levine seemed to be saying to me, wasn't at all about what Country Club Plaza looks like (trendy or not), but what it feels like. Like Levine, my family is from Kansas City, and he is correct, the area is just THE PLACE many many people from the KC metro go for life events that are memorable. It was built in 1920 and has maintained this unique relationship with the community for nearly 100 years. It truly is a fine mix of shopping, dining, art, entertainment, public spaces, and housing that if in Charlotte would be the jewel of the city. If Levine could ever pull off anything approaching that feel in Uptown Charlotte it will be a game changer.

Of course it would be a game changer. And it's been imminent. Delayed by about "Next Spring" or "Next Winter" every year for the past 25 years...

And the plans are actually getting worse and less imminent than ever. Just around 6 years ago, W Hotel and Novare were to build in Levineland, UNC Charlotte was just about to begin construction, the park was going to start.

And right beside Levineland, Epicenter was about to start construction, 210 Trade was under construction, Ritz Carlton was just announced, BoA just announced a new office tower. Spirit Square seemed imminent to get construction going, Imaginon had been built, Center City Green Condos were announced.

And W Hotel & Novare condos decided to build by Romare Bearden Park wit a 40 story W hotel (now the Element), Catalyst 27, & an office tower. That could've happened in Levineland... But he dragged his feet.

And now it looks even less imminent, there seems to be less momentum then there was then (but the surrounding area is starting to heat up) and now we have this underwhelming little apartment building... And some parking decks. Woohoo.

If we want something like this Country Club Plaza in KC, I say look over to 2nd ward. Next year the county will start pushing for Brooklyn Village and looking for a developer

Anecdote, but hear me out.  2350 Sharon Lane is a very large house that has been under construction for the past four years.  The site looks like Dee Dee's hole out at Seven Eagles (dry, dusty and full of weeds).  Wanna take a guess who it belongs to?  If there was ever an example of how long Daniel Levine will allow a project to trudge along, look no further than the time he's willing to waste building his own house.  

Edit: He bought the lot in 1999 and didn't start construction until 2010.

Edited by Miesian Corners

Anecdote, but hear me out.  2350 Sharon Lane is a very large house that has been under construction for the past four years.  The site looks like Dee Dee's hole out at Seven Eagles (dry, dusty and full of weeds).  Wanna take a guess who it belongs to?  If there was ever an example of how long Daniel Levine will allow a project to trudge along, look no further than the time he's willing to waste building his own house.  

Jeez, why is he just the worst person ever? Is he on any form of social media that I can bother him on? 

Edit: He bought the lot in 1999 and didn't start construction until 2010.

I've been wondering what was up with that house.  I drive by it often.  Jeff Gordon is his next door neighbor.  15 years to get a house built is pretty damn awful.  

• Like 1

^ the descriptions he created to describe his only two semi-real jobs on linkedin lends some support to the mentally challenged hypothesis. Gezzz, I know its good to be the heir to the Pic n Pay fortune but, if you think you might interact with professionals at some point in your future, I think he would have proofread a sentence or two.

Computer Room

Pic n Pay Shoes September 1978 May 1979(9 months)

I worked in the computer during my senior year in high school. I loaded sales tags into the reader for the point of sale reports.

or

Warehouse Worker Pic n Pay Shoes April 1977 August 1978(1 year 5 months)Matthews, NC

I worked in the warehouse during my junior year in high school. I did whatever needed to be done, loaded trucks, moved pallets,etc.

Edited by kermit