First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Wow, Levine is actually going to deliver something.

Yay, an isolated apartment building in the middle of nowhere with no street level retail, and yet another massive parking deck that uptown doesn't really need. I'd rather he deliver on the rest of the "village," the retail, the office, the hotel, etc. 

We should cut the man some slack. The parking garage will be facing 11th Street, and essentially be blocking both noise and visual pollution from the Brookshire freeway. It ain't all bad.

We don't know if it ain't all bad because this is all he has planned so far, as far as I know (besides the park). Not a village in the slightest sense.

I doubt I'll ever cut him any slack. While the apartments aren't impressive to me/us you know he think he has totally redeemed himself with just this one building. I do like the building up of the perimeter of his land first. What I am hoping is that when he gets around to addressing the lots closer to tryon then higher densities will be more viable. Better than having a six story apartment on 7th street.

We should cut the man some slack.  The parking garage will be facing 11th Street, and essentially be blocking both noise and visual pollution from the Brookshire freeway.  It ain't all bad.

I moved to First Ward in 1999 and he spouted off the same crap then that he talks today.  Not one development of his has been built that was promised at those first neighborhood meetings 15 years ago.  Not one.  He deserves no slack.  

Off topic, his unfinished house is still sitting on Sharon Rd growing weeds and angering Foxcroft neighbors.  Maybe he needs to meet up with Dee Dee Harris so they can discuss the nuances of half-and un-built structures.

• Like 1

Managed to score us one of dem perdy high res pikturs of Levine's project. 

Not the worst looking building in uptown, as long as it stays masonry.

post-17104-0-50975400-1422486609_thumb.j

I just hope the homeless people around there don't watch me while I'm swimming in my pool with 10th Street frontage.

Edited by Guest

Remind me again, is the market going to be on the opposite side of the tracks as this?

Also, that does look pretty nice, but what is the street that runs into the extended 10th?

Inititally I don't think Market will go that far down, however, I think the overall N. Tryon area master plan includes it being extended to 11th. 

This Rendering has 11th Elevated (weird) and looking at the levine master plan, it looks like they will split up the block shown in grass on this image and have a road between two buildings. So Its just a road that might be added, if he ever develops that block.

park construction from the UNCC building today -- sorry about the quality, it is the least photo friendly building on earth thanks to weird window tint / dots on all the glass.

post-18626-0-05194500-1422500083_thumb.j

anybody know what the footings in the foreground of the park (just past the yellow construction fence) are for?

post-18626-0-34433400-1422500186_thumb.j

Looks like there will still be significant grade change issues in the background towards Courtside -- a future cliff or just a temporary excavation for drainage work?

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

Off topic, his unfinished house is still sitting on Sharon Rd growing weeds and angering Foxcroft neighbors.  Maybe he needs to meet up with Dee Dee Harris so they can discuss the nuances of half-and un-built structures.

Well at least Jeff Gordon is going to retire at the end of the year so he will have time to go over and weedwack his neighbors yard because I sure it won't be finished anytime in the next year. Most homes don't take 3 years to build...

Is the 10th Street extension only going up to the tracks for now, or is it going to be built so that it passes under the tracks? It is not clear from looking at that pic.

First of all, it will never pass under the tracks.  It will be an at-grade crossing just like 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 12th in this area, since the train goes very slowly through here.  

The only part being built at the moment is the part on Levine's land, as it is part of the agreement with the city and county.   It is possible the actual crossing is in the budget and project for the light rail, but the section on the Mecklenburg County's Hal Marshall land is not current scheduled for construction as a real road, however I believe they will connect into the parking lot and align with the main driveway between the parking lot and the building, so it will be effectively connected all the way to College.  

It seems to me that they will simply require it to be built to Tryon whenever they sell the land eventually.  

Inititally I don't think Market will go that far down, however, I think the overall N. Tryon area master plan includes it being extended to 11th. 

This Rendering has 11th Elevated (weird) and looking at the levine master plan, it looks like they will split up the block shown in grass on this image and have a road between two buildings. So Its just a road that might be added, if he ever develops that block.

11th is elevated in real life right now.  https://www.google.com/maps/@35.230833,-80.833433,3a,75y,195.75h,72.48t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1snGw-bKdiNOFt9bugijkSQw!2e0

I'm not sure why he would put a street to split the block where Enterprise is now.   It seems rather pointless, but of course aligns to the entrance to the parking under UNCC.  He seems very focused on the parking aspects in this area, so that could be the sole reason. 

11th is elevated in real life right now.  https://www.google.com/maps/@35.230833,-80.833433,3a,75y,195.75h,72.48t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1snGw-bKdiNOFt9bugijkSQw!2e0

I'm not sure why he would put a street to split the block where Enterprise is now.   It seems rather pointless, but of course aligns to the entrance to the parking under UNCC.  He seems very focused on the parking aspects in this area, so that could be the sole reason. 

I'm not totally opposed to it. I think mid-block streets would be a good strategy for this area and may (hopefully) spur different scales of development other than the entire block monsters/south end pattern we have been seeing lately.