First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

I'd also point out that the section of 4th Ward that is the historic district is low-ride and lower density on purpose in order to protect the victorian district.  1st Ward has a section of lower density, too, "The Garden District" roughly 2-3 blocks around the roundabout at Davidson and 9th.   The trees are finally growing in , and has a quieter neighborhood feeling.   

However, 1st and 4th Wards in the true sense are two of the 4 quadrants of uptown divided by Trade and Tryon streets.   So there are a number of areas of 4th Ward that is receiving the high rise and denser development pattern and where streets are more urban thoroughfares.  Along Church, 6th and somewhat Graham Streets have that type of development scale planned.  Likewise, the remaining land in 1st Ward that is owned by Levine, the city, and county (separate parcels) constitute 30-40 acres zones at virtually unlimited density.  

I imagine that 10 of those acres will be built up with SouthEnd-scale midrises around 8-10 stories while they transition the area from an asphalt wasteland, but the economics are clearly going to be more on the side of higher density for those blocks.  So 20-30 acres of 15-35 story high rises and maybe eventually more.   Definitely going to need a park and grocer.   But the key is getting that forward-looking infrastructure in place and supported with the current population and infrastructure and then let the growth come.  

That is how SouthEnd made it's way forward.  Now Uptown is lagging behind Southend in growth.   It may even continue that way if Levine never budges.  

Beat me by 1 minute, but this would be great, but Hilton already has 4 (soon to be 5 with Embassy) properties in uptown. Does that kind of thing matter?? I guess Marriott has a bunch too.

I feel like N Tryon is ready to explode with development, it is beyond exciting.

Looks like it is going to be a new Boutique brand from Hilton (http://www.canopybyhilton.com/)

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Here is some more info from the WSJ on the Canopy concept: http://online.wsj.com/articles/hilton-readies-a-boutique-reboot-1413345542

Like this part: "Canopy by Hilton will feature nascent technologies like the ability to use a mobile phone for check-in and as a room key. The hotels will emphasize neighborhood products and personalities, from locally crafted beers at the restaurant to paintings made by area artists hanging in the lobby."

Here is some more info from the WSJ on the Canopy concept: http://online.wsj.com/articles/hilton-readies-a-boutique-reboot-1413345542

Like this part: "Canopy by Hilton will feature nascent technologies like the ability to use a mobile phone for check-in and as a room key. The hotels will emphasize neighborhood products and personalities, from locally crafted beers at the restaurant to paintings made by area artists hanging in the lobby."

I think this will be an absolutely fantastic fit for uptown, and perfect to get movement in N Tryon, let's do this Levine.

Something feels more imminent in this zone than it has felt in decades.   I really hope they can start carving out developments piecemeal over time like this hotel.   I suspect the hotel will go near 7th St Market, as close to the station and arena and CBD as they can get on his land.  

I really do hope he has finally got the right team around him to start making real things happen.  Even if it the whole area isn't built up, just the park and 2-3 projects will go a long long way in reducing the wasteland feeling of this section of town.

So, one major boost to First Ward being the next area to support development, as long as the economy holds, is that Meck County has funded the relocation of county services from the Hal Marshall center for next fiscal year. 

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/CountyManagersOffice/OMB/CapitalImprovementProgram/Documents/CIP%20Five%20Year%20Plan.pdf

That plan is no longer contingent on the sale of the land as it was in previous attempts.   That frees them up to sell the land at market rate and after vacating.  Hopefully it will also reduce some concentration of homeless, which is a serious issue for this part of uptown. 

• Like 1

Hopefully it will also reduce some concentration of homeless, which is a serious issue for this part of uptown. 

I mentioned this in another thread, but I have noticed much less of a concentration of homeless folks in that spot over the last 6 months to a year, which has roughly coincided with the well-reported increase in concentration at the Square. I wondered if the city had somehow cracked down or made them unwelcome in that area and simply displaced them further down Tryon (surely not what they intended if so).

So, one major boost to First Ward being the next area to support development, as long as the economy holds, is that Meck County has funded the relocation of county services from the Hal Marshall center for next fiscal year. 

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/CountyManagersOffice/OMB/CapitalImprovementProgram/Documents/CIP%20Five%20Year%20Plan.pdf

That plan is no longer contingent on the sale of the land as it was in previous attempts.   That frees them up to sell the land at market rate and after vacating.  Hopefully it will also reduce some concentration of homeless, which is a serious issue for this part of uptown. 

hallelujah!!!!!! what excellent news.

It looks like they're phasing the transition over years. In 2018 they have a "Phase III" relocation planned.

Having been in that building a number of times for both building reviews and other business, I can tell you that those people want out as badly as we want them out :)

I don't see the phasing as a problem.  The market has never so far absorbed all 4 of their blocks.  In my view, they ought to sell off each block as they vacate the buildings on it.   That way we get different developments, different developers, and each development becomes denser because they are working with less land.   

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/10/experts-hatching-ideas-for-north-tryon.html?page=all

Here is an article about N Tryon, nothing really new or insightful though.

Is it just me or is this annoying:

"If you bring up best practices, it's old news," she said. "We're looking for unique and distinctive. I think it's really important that Charlotte write its own ticket."

I mean come on that seems arrogant. How about copying some successful places like (and sorry I keep repeating places I have lived but you know what you know) Denver, Boulder and Burlington, VT which closed their version of Tryon to all but some combination of pedestrians, bikes and buses with fantastic results. Has that been discussed? I saw a mention of that on Trade which I didn't get enough background to understand the negative comments other than Raleigh screwed it up once. whatever....

Is it just me or is this annoying:

"If you bring up best practices, it's old news," she said. "We're looking for unique and distinctive. I think it's really important that Charlotte write its own ticket."

I mean come on that seems arrogant. How about copying some successful places like (and sorry I keep repeating places I have lived but you know what you know) Denver, Boulder and Burlington, VT which closed their version of Tryon to all but some combination of pedestrians, bikes and buses with fantastic results. Has that been discussed? I saw a mention of that on Trade which I didn't get enough background to understand the negative comments other than Raleigh screwed it up once. whatever....

I don't think it is arrogant as much as it is saying that there is a desire for something distinctive. It doesn't have to be groundbreaking but it would be nice if it were something that really created an identity.

Closing streets make sense when you already have the existing uses to support significant pedestrian activity. I don't think anyone thinks it is an inherently bad thing, but, especially in the North Tryon area, there is no place (yet) in Uptown that could support that kind of move.

It's a chicken and egg thing though right? i wasn't there for the start of any of those projects so don't know what those areas looked like prior. Well actually, I was there for Burlington. There was some pedestrian traffic going to fairly seedy bars and not much retail. It was the street everyone drove down drunk and yelling at night. So, I *think* the closure came first in that case. And to me, I would close S Tryon first since there is a fair amount of pedestrian traffic there, at least compared to other streets. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/10/experts-hatching-ideas-for-north-tryon.html?page=all

Here is an article about N Tryon, nothing really new or insightful though.

Not sure how this article only applies to this thread and not misc uptown news, but alrighty. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jayvee

Haha.  Well, this thread has always been about what the city often calls North Tryon Urban Village, which mainly refers to the developable land in 1st Ward, as 4th Ward is totally built up in this zone.    

The $400k study is the latest in trying to get some momentum going on Hal Marshall and Levine parcels.    

Haha.  Well, this thread has always been about what the city often calls North Tryon Urban Village, which mainly refers to the developable land in 1st Ward, as 4th Ward is totally built up in this zone.    

The $400k study is the latest in trying to get some momentum going on Hal Marshall and Levine parcels.    

Fair enough I guess

• Like 1