Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

$6 for 17oz really isn't that much. Consider most "pints" around town are served in a 14oz shaker glass with a 1/2" of foam.   By comparison, at Brawleys, there are typically no beers under $6 pint. I understand the price might be a little bit higher then some of the other breweries but isn't out of line with bar prices.  Sometimes we get spoiled by the cheap pints at Birdsong and Triple C.

Free Range opening July 9.  I'm so happy about this.  It looks *different*, and the beers are interesting.  http://www.charlotteagenda.com/8571/new-free-range-brewing-open-in-noda/

Okay, so now:

Free Range - Jul 9

Wooden Robot - Jul 11

NoDa 2nd Location (NoDa/Tryon) = "August"

Legion (Plaza Mid) - "Late August"

Three Spirits (south of South End) = "Late Summer"

Salud's (NoDa) tiny brewing system for in-house taps, coming soon if not already in operation

Blue Blaze - location announcement imminent?

Avenge - no location

DukBone - no location

Thirsty Nomad - probably not Meck county, if they ever get a location

• Like 2

Free Range opening July 9.  I'm so happy about this.  It looks *different*, and the beers are interesting.  http://www.charlotteagenda.com/8571/new-free-range-brewing-open-in-noda/

Okay, so now:

Free Range - Jul 9

Wooden Robot - Jul 11

Salud's (NoDa) tiny brewing system for in-house taps, coming soon if not already in operation

Avenge - no location

DukBone - no location

I've heard that some of the space @ Summit Crossing (Summit & Mint) was sold to a brewer or cidery. Perhaps the location of Blue Blaze?

Edited by Jayvee

Free Range is likely going to kill it if they keep up the quality they have been know for on a smaller scale. I have had quite a few of their beers (from years ago when they did local festivals like Brawleys Black and Blue, etc) and were honestly making some of the best beers in town. I think they will become our local version of Fonta Flora up in Morganton. Very unique brews, sours, barrel aged, and straight off the wall ingredients, all in small batches.

Jason (the brewer of the two) is a "go out of his way" friendly guy. Excited to see what they bring to the table.

• Like 1

Free Range is likely going to kill it if they keep up the quality they have been know for on a smaller scale. I have had quite a few of their beers (from years ago when they did local festivals like Brawleys Black and Blue, etc) and were honestly making some of the best beers in town. I think they will become our local version of Fonta Flora up in Morganton. Very unique brews, sours, barrel aged, and straight off the wall ingredients, all in small batches.

Jason (the brewer of the two) is a "go out of his way" friendly guy. Excited to see what they bring to the table.

Everything I've ever had from them is legit.  I've been waiting a long time for them to come on board.

I'll ask an ignorant question, but have we reached a saturation point with local microbrews?  How many more can we absorb without cannibalizing others.

I'm all about survival of the best, but if $$$'s spent on beer gets spread too thin, everyone suffers.

I'd prefer to see the profileration of new breweries slow down and let the existing ones achieve some level of profitability, but maybe the demand is much deeper than I imagine.

Now, definitely think that a few distilleries could do well.  I think it's been discussed, but what is the current regulations surrounding a distillery with a tasting room?

Regarding saturation -- Whenever I think we're saturated, I look at the # of surviving breweries in places with way less population -- e.g. Asheville.  And I think of the ridiculous number of twenty-somethings with too much disposable money moving into the ridiculous number of apartments in South End and uptown.

Also, I try to make the argument that the breweries aren't competing against each other ---- they're competing *together* against macro-brew.  As long as the swill has tap space and shelf space, there's room for more good beer.  No reason to limit that to existing breweries.  (Argument stolen from Elon Musk, who says electric cars aren't competing against each other for a tiny market share -- they're competing together against the old-guard gas guzzlers.)

My wife and I like to say "if you're going to open a brewery at this point, you better bring something special".  But I don't think that's true yet.  Legion is going to kill it, no matter what.  Sycamore is proof that you can be THE go-to cool spot without having great beer or a unique concept.

• Like 1

I'll ask an ignorant question, but have we reached a saturation point with local microbrews?  How many more can we absorb without cannibalizing others.

I'm all about survival of the best, but if $$$'s spent on beer gets spread too thin, everyone suffers.

I'd prefer to see the profileration of new breweries slow down and let the existing ones achieve some level of profitability, but maybe the demand is much deeper than I imagine.

Now, definitely think that a few distilleries could do well.  I think it's been discussed, but what is the current regulations surrounding a distillery with a tasting room?

FWIW, Boulder has 17 breweries and a population of 100,000.  I think we've got plenty of room.

While Asheville and Boulder have tourism to help absorb all that beer, I agree, we're not that close to a saturation point, especially when certain neighborhoods still don't have one (Elizabeth, Wesley Heights/Freemore, Uptown, PM until now with Legion).

Sycamore is proof that you can be THE go-to cool spot without having great beer or a unique concept.

True, and although I'd argue that their barrel-aged beers are often great, everything about the space is safe. Nice, but safe. It kills me that they won't do a mural on their fencing or something interesting, not even a spot to post up local gig posters and whatnot. Still, I work next door so I end up going at least once a week. The dog-friendliness is a big part of that too.

While Asheville and Boulder have tourism to help absorb all that beer, I agree, we're not that close to a saturation point, especially when certain neighborhoods still don't have one (Elizabeth, Wesley Heights/Freemore, Uptown, PM until now with Legion).

True, and although I'd argue that their barrel-aged beers are often great, everything about the space is safe. Nice, but safe. It kills me that they won't do a mural on their fencing or something interesting, not even a spot to post up local gig posters and whatnot. Still, I work next door so I end up going at least once a week. The dog-friendliness is a big part of that too.

I really do think it's just a matter of time for them.  Let's not forget they have only been open for 8 months, haha.  They probably can't find a place to store all the money they are making, but I'm sure some reno plans are in their future.  I'd give them some time.

The breweries are also healthy because they can charge $5 a pint in their tasting rooms.  In some brewtowns the markups are found at the bars and the tasting rooms are $3-$4.  Who needs to distribute if you can sell a wholesale product  and command a retail price.

Wooden Robot is a great spot.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Unfortunately, thanks to the city for allowing Ferguson to build this abomination. What a view...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Is it open today to the public? I thought the real opening wasn't until next week but I've got some friends in town who want to hit a few of the Local Breweries around dinner time.

Okay, so now:

Free Range - Jul 9

Wooden Robot - Jul 11

Avenge - no location

DukBone - no location

Blue Blaze is apparantly going to locate in Historic West End, Smallwood to be precise  :) To be really precise, they are locating in a metal-sided warehouse located on the same property as the historic (or maybe just old) Savona Mill on Turner Ave.  Savona Mill, in theory, will be the future home of the Lakewood Trolley, and, I guess, a future mixed-use redevelopment.

To see the building that Blue Blaze will be locating in on a map, it's at roughly 578 S Turner Ave.

• Like 1

The Observer has the Blue Blaze story: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article26634604.html

Don't bother to click, it doesn't say anything that atlrvr didn't already tell us.

EDIT: The CBJ article is better: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/07/07/craft-brewery-first-to-blaze-into-charlotte-s.html?ana=twt

Spring 2016 opening

Edited by kermit

I think you'll find that the vast majority of folks (brewery-going and otherwise) won't be familiar with that part of town. I'd assumed that the Wesley Heights area would eventually get a brewery, but I thought it would be more in the the Freedom & Morehead area - this is a bit further away.

I think the J C Smith area is in for some big things over the next few years, and perhaps Blue Blaze will be able to find a strong niche as the neighborhood bar/brewery/get-together spot. In the short term, I have trouble seeing most brewery-goers making the effort to go over there as part of crawls, etc.

^ the mill they will locate in has a working industrial area to the west and a RAPIDLY gentrifying neighborhoods to the east. It also fronts a very nice greenway and park which runs into 3rd ward. This will be the first retail business in the area so they will be a pioneer.

The surroundings of this location are not hugely different from Triple C's current location when they initially opened. I would guess the area around Blue Blaze is currently a little more dangerous than the New Bern area was when Triple C opened (I would not walk around much after dark there), but I suspect the surroundings will change very quickly once they get up and running.

Its certainly a 'safer' area than NoDa's new N Tryon location will be.