Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I would absolutely LOVE to see this alongside the mall. Having a few classically styled behemoths of buildings near it will really improve the feel of the park, turning it into something Agora-esque and giving it a nice frame. Currently it lacks a sense of boundary, kind of bleeding off into parking lots and low structures. Stuff like this will give it walls without too much height (I don't want height here, I think we should preserve the view of the capitol when approaching from the north, south, and west).

I really hope that the big lots to the west of the JR Parkway will eventually get overhauled into either parkland or medium density residential/commercial use.

EDIT: east vs. west...whoops.

Edited by Nathan_in_PHL

Currently it lacks a sense of boundary, kind of bleeding off into parking lots and low structures. Stuff like this will give it walls without too much height (I don't want height here, I think we should preserve the view of the capitol when approaching from the north, south, and west).

I agree about the parking lots bleeding out the effectiveness of the Bicentennial Mall. But I think that those parking lots are used by state employees? Maybe if something such as the State Library gets built, it can include either underground parking for the said state employees or wrap parking garages. It's not realistic to think that literally all of the state employees are going to move to the urban core and take public transportation. It would be nice, but it's not likely.

As for height, I would have to check, but the viewsheds to the state capitol building may be included in the zoning for that area already.

I agree about the parking lots bleeding out the effectiveness of the Bicentennial Mall. But I think that those parking lots are used by state employees? Maybe if something such as the State Library gets built, it can include either underground parking for the said state employees or wrap parking garages. It's not realistic to think that literally all of the state employees are going to move to the urban core and take public transportation. It would be nice, but it's not likely.

As for height, I would have to check, but the viewsheds to the state capitol building may be included in the zoning for that area already.

One or two large, multistory consolidated parking garages would go a long way towards improving security for state workers (it's easier to control access in and out of the garages), help with managing traffic, and make it possible to run an employee shuttle system. There are plenty of spots, too: the block formed by 4th, 5th and Harrison; the corner of NW Gay St. and JR Pkwy; the NW corner of Charlotte and JR Pkwy; NE corner of 10th and Charlotte.

Alternatively, although this may be prohibitively expensive and the geology of the area may not allow it, but what about burrowing under capitol hill for a structure?

East Side Aparments

On December 20th, the BZA will be hearing from an applicant for a development known as East Side Apartments at Main/McFerrin.  The text from the BZA docket is here.

CASE 2012-130 (Council District – 05)

East Side Apartments, appellant and Smith, James M., JR. & David A., Trust ET AL, owner of the properties located at 0 McFerrin Avenue, requesting a special exception in the RM20/UZO District, to construct a new 23-unit townhome development consisting of 4 buildings. Referred to the Board under Section 17.12.035. The appellant has alleged the Board would have jurisdiction under Section 17.40.180. ©.Use-Multi-Family Map 82-12 Parcel(s) 210, 384

As an aside, can I say how dumbinteresting it is to have a street address of 0?  Most cities would have the first lot be 1 on the odd side and 2 on the even side. 

Here is a link to the POST story by our own William Williams.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2012/11/21/mdha_oks_design_of_proposed_east_nashville_apartment_building

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

This is part of the Main McFerrin project being done by Adam Leibowitz.

"Slated to be called East Side Apartments and constructed at 909 Main St., the approximately $7.4 million development will feature a building that rises four stories and features 48 units. In addition, the project will include 23 for-rent townhomes with their own garages."

• Like 1

On a similar note the Germantown Co-Housing project is moving forward as well.

CASE 2012-129 (Council District – 19)

Germantown Co-Housing, appellant and Germantown Partners, LLC, owner of the

property located at 1321 5th Avenue, North, requesting a variance in parking in the

MUN District, to construct a 25-unit multi-family co-housing development. Referred to

the Board under Section 17,.20.030. The appellant has alleged the Board would have

jurisdiction under Section 17.40.180. (B).

Use-Multi-Family Map 82-9 Parcel(s) 72-75

Here is a tidbit that just came out in the Post. I could not say anything till it was public.

Pat Emory and Spectrum are no longer partnering with Marketstreet inthe Gulch.

I am unsure of the reason but I will have to say they did no public marketing on their web site at all for the Gulch as far as I could see. Not sure who will work with Market street now but my guess could be Jones Lang Lasalle who just opened up an office here.

I had not seen this and WW must have forgot to call me on this one. I had spoken to someone at the TSLA back in October and they said there was a move to get this back in the budget. It will be great news to get this started ASAP for sure. I also expect the State Museum to be pushing forward with thier new building as well in the near future.

I am also trying to get more information on a project in midtown that I had hoped we would have information on, but not yet. Also the Renasant bank project is probably about a year out from starting. It is in the design phase now. Dont expect anything great after seeing some of their other projects.

I have a little news for the Gulch and Charlotte Ave. but have to wait till WW gets the information.

Was this the Gulch news you were referring to? Can you dish on Charlotte yet?

Here is some information I came across and we can not confirm the rumor is true, but I have heard there are potential buyers looking at the Chris Moore building @ 17th and Church. I have also heard they are planning to move out and the plans include lofts apartments and a parking garage. The details are not coming out and the owner of the building has not returned William's calls.

This is one of the projects I was talking about last week. , that I was hopeful we could get more information on.

I knew about this one last week before it was picked up by the media. I Should have given WW the heads up. My bad on that one.

Metro buys 600 acres of park land

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/metro-pay-82m-600-acres-farmland-along-stones-river

More good news for Downtown.

Inside Track leases 2nd Ave. Space

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2012/12/3/real_estate_notes_insidetrack_leases_second_avenue_space

Wow that would be a big chunk of land to add for a park! I would love to see what they could do with that area because I enjoy riding that section to downtown. Is the long term plan to add a bridge from the Stones River to Peeler Park??? That is what it looks like from that map, but I have not heard anything about that before.

Edited by bigeasy

Wow that would be a big chunk of land to add for a park! I would love to see what they could do with that area because I enjoy riding that section to downtown. Is the long term plan to add a bridge from the Stones River to Peeler Park??? That is what it looks like from that map, but I have not heard anything about that before.

Someone who lives on Neelys Bend told me several years ago that there was an eventual plan to build a pedestrian bridge at the end of the bend, like the one connecting Shelby's bottom with whatsitsface.  A regular car bridge would be fought to the death by inhabitants of Neeys Bend.