Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Former Mrs. Winner's at corner of 19th and West End being demolished today.

:yahoo:

bike rental racks are now stocked:

kyn2l.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/kyn2l.jpg]

eric b

Cool deal. Hopefully they'll see lots of use. Perhaps that will allow more places like that to be set up.

Yay!  Whatever goes in there will be an improvement.

Surface parking lot!

Er, J/K :whistling:

Any idea what's up with the McDonald's on Broadway that "burned" over a year ago?

IIRC, they want to remodel, but Metro has new zoning restriction. So they're trying to get an exception. Don't quote me on that.

I'd like to see a developer make a push to buy the property, develop something urban, and (if they want) offer McDonald's a retail spot on the bottom floor.

Not sure what they could do about the drive through service. Does anyone know of an example of a fast food joint with a drive-thru in a multi-story building?

• Like 1

As for the McD's, it is front of the planning commision to get a set back varience for a new store to be built at that location. I for one hope they do not grant the waver as it is a violation of the DT code. It is on the docket for this months meeting after being deferred from last month.

Sounds like a good time and place for a forum meeting, if ya know what I mean.

According to a fellow Hope Gardens resident, a new apartment building will be built at the corner of Rosa Parks Blvd and Locklayer Street, across from the Farmer's Market.  The ground floor will be parking rather than retail, because the site is in a floodplain.  I've not been able to find anything about this.  I have seen  surveyors from Littlejohn Engineering working on the site twice this week.

According to a fellow Hope Gardens resident, a new apartment building will be built at the corner of Rosa Parks Blvd and Locklayer Street, across from the Farmer's Market.  The ground floor will be parking rather than retail, because the site is in a floodplain.  I've not been able to find anything about this.  I have seen  surveyors from Littlejohn Engineering working on the site twice this week.

Interesting. I assume you mean where the Dollar General is?

I know you don't know any details, but I wonder if it would be just the Dollar General building and parking lot, or the adjacent little strip center as well (2 separate buildings)? If it's both, that's a pretty large lot and could potentially be a huge development.

The buildings have been vacant since the 2010 flood, but yes, it's where Dollar General and the other businesses were located.  

I know you don't know any details, but I wonder if it would be just the Dollar General building and parking lot, or the adjacent little strip center as well (2 separate buildings)? If it's both, that's a pretty large lot and could potentially be a huge development.

I've seen the design of the McDonald's replacement building proposed for the 12th and Broadway site. It will look like Hume-Fogg High compared to the burned version still standing. But I don't see the Metro Planning Department budging on this one. 

In your opinion, is it something worth budging on? Or do you think this will pressure them to sell (which may be Metros ulterior motive)?

I was driving by there the other day and noticed that there may be something ready to happen at that location. It would be a huge improvement especially if it were built up to the side walk and had some height to it.

That would be great news! Yes, I do recall that site flooding extensively during the 2010 flood. I imagine that Hope Gardens will see an increase in interest in the coming especially once whatever Boyle is planning gets built. 

Was it ever flooded?!? You should have seen the van and car that floated through the plate glass windows that morning!

This is great news..  we've been wondering for a long time what was going to happen there..   I'd love to see some retail or dining options - on the other hand, who wants to shop and eat in a flood plain? :shok:

Was it ever flooded?!? You should have seen the van and car that floated through the plate glass windows that morning!

This is great news..  we've been wondering for a long time what was going to happen there..   I'd love to see some retail or dining options - on the other hand, who wants to shop and eat in a flood plain? :shok:

You would think that would come into play, but the one part of Philadelphia that is actually truly flood prone is one of the biggest boutique shopping, dining, and nightlife scenes in the city.  Back when a hurricane hit a few years ago (not Irene...I forget the name), the Manayunk Brewery was completely flooded, just a few inches from the ceiling.  They left one section of the wall with the water stains as an example...

East Nashville building sells

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/12/10/east-nashville-building-sells-for-27.html

This is the company :

http://parosouth.com/

Any speculation here. This comapny is loctated @ 625 Main and the address for the sold property is 615 Main.

That is the Hardaway Construction Company building.  They have been wanting to develop a new headquarters building for a long time.  My understanding is that they are wanting to stay in East Nashville and maybe even on Main Street.

Paro South had bought the little brick building at 7th/Main and turned it into the wildly successful Paro South Creative Suites building, which contains small offices with shared event space as well as an art gallery.  This is like an "incubator" type development.  I would expect more of the same at the Hardaway building. 

East Nashville building sells

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/12/10/east-nashville-building-sells-for-27.html

This is the company :

http://parosouth.com/

Any speculation here. This comapny is loctated @ 625 Main and the address for the sold property is 615 Main.

• 2 weeks later...

not much really, but there appears to be a couple things happening in the retail spaces at the bennie dillon. farmer morgan design will be moving into space one (where plush hair salon used to be) and the newsletter says retail space two is scheduled to close soon.

Just a couple of things I noticed...

The former Hotel Indigo on West End (now aloft) has been repainted. More or less black and white (black where the indigo was, white where the piss yellow was). It's not a pretty building to begin with, but I think it looks better...though having the indigo did provide a little bit of variety of color in the area.

Also, it appears that one of the buildings near West End @ 31st is getting some sort of exterior rehab (I don't know the name of the building or the tenant(s), but it's between Maggiano's and Outback).

This is the building I'm referring to. It's just a 60s/70s concrete & glass brute...so I'm not sure what they can do with it...but the work appeared to be on the concrete parts (the vertical pieces) Perhaps covering the concrete and painting? Maybe someone here knows.