Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I bet Nashville's next tallest will be at 5th & Church, for all kinds of reasons.

Well, technically 505 wouldn't be a new tallest (it would be a handful of feel shorter than Batman's spires -- though I can't imagine why they couldn't add one single more floor just to break the official record)...but it would have the tallest floor, and due to it's location (higher elevation) it's top would be physically higher than Batman's...plus, rather than spires reaching up a couple hundred feet, there would be more actual "building" up higher. Hell, add 2 hotel floors and make it 40 stories. Why not? Set a new mark if you're ever going to build it.

But yeah...as of the current plans, 505 would be our second tallest, though I think it would look significantly larger.

May or may not be 505CST.  Was just saying I bet that's where the Nashville's next tallest will go.  

Fair enough.

But I think it would be a mistake for Tony to sell right now. If he does...I hope he sells locally. I would hate to see a developer looking to make a quick buck drop a 15 story deuce on that plot.

I could be wrong -- but the longer we wait, the taller or more impressive that building will be, especially if other sites in the CBD get developed, making that even more prime.

Some day -- 505 or not -- I think that will be the location of a handsome tower that we can be proud of.

I hope it's the location of a great building, but I harbor significant doubts that he can be the one to put it there. Tony has zero track record building office space. Even for experienced developers like eakin, with more funds behind them than tony, it is difficult.

Having the equity to even get a loan is so important in these times. Anyone can propose a building or development, very few can provide the equity and know how to get it done.

The problem is it takes a major corporate client who wants something really cool.  It's the kind of building you expect in Dubai or something.  Maybe some cool corporation will read an article in the NY Times about Nashville and decide to relocate here.  What kind of business occupies such a building?  DeutscheBank? Somebody with a terrible environmental record trying to convince everybody they're green?  Some oil company or something...

• 2 weeks later...

Shocking. Not.

The charges may or may not have been over the top, but whether anyone wants to admit it, they weren't punished because it would be bad for business.

You or I would be doing community service every weekend for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Last post on this because I don't want to derail: Under our system you are innocent until proven guilty.

Smeagols,

Charges are reduced or dropped all the time, it is very common. I am sure they had a good lawyer, and that may very well have played a role. But we do not know if it did and saying otherwise is purely conjecture since we do not know the facts of the case. That's all I'm saying.

• Like 1

I do know the charges were assault on a Police officer, resisting arrest and Public Intoxication. I think if the average peson were charged with those charges you woud not have them expunged.

Is it that simple ?   As a lawyer, I can tell you that small town police and bar employees often behave badly too.   You're correct that people without access to good legal representation often fall victim to the system but does that regrettable fact alone mean that anyone who does hire a good lawyer should be viewed with suspicion ?    Not only have you set aside the concept of a person being inncocent until proven guilty, you seem to still view them as "somewhat" guilty even after a prosecutor decided not to even charge these people, let alone have them stand trial.  I don't know Hensler, Hamilton or the Vandy doctor but do any of them have a history of making trouble or behaving badly ?   Of course, even if they have spotless records that fact alone wouldn't excuse being publicly drunk or fighting cops, but in light of this dismissal I would think most reasonable people would be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.   This outcome obviously reflects very poorly on the Berry Hill police.  I can't fathom they'd just sit back and accept the dismissal of 100% of the charges without their day in metro court unless they had something to be wary of.  

Edited by WildBill
  • Like 1

I have no inside information, but knowing police officers, had these folks not pulled out their phones and started filming, in all likelihood, no arrests would have occured in the first place. 
Hmmm...so they're guilty of videotaping the police? I'm pretty sure it's not unlawful to videotape officers making an arrest. In this case, as I understand it, the doctor had been knocked down and was being arrested without cause when Hensler or someone in his group began videotaping her arrest. The cops became enraged they were being filmed and it was apparently all down hill from there. I know a few people that were there that night. Not sure why none of the details about the evening have made it into the news yet but I suspect that will change when the civil suits run their course.

^^^It wouldn't be the first time charges were dropped because it was not worth the expense to pursue them.
??? So.....anyone who hires a lawyer that results in charges being dropped should be considered guilty because.......you assume the government couldn't afford to prosecute? That's some scary logic, man. Reminds me of those truthers that think Newtown was a hoax.

??? So.....anyone who hires a lawyer that results in charges being dropped should be considered guilty because.......you assume the government couldn't afford to prosecute? That's some scary logic, man. Reminds me of those truthers that think Newtown was a hoax.

What the hell are you talking about?

Edited by UTgrad09

LOL

There is a Taco Bell that's going up on Powell (west side of the road) across from Rafferty's.

Big news.

PUMPED! 

Into Opry Mills, but my wife has been begging for one of these for quite a while...

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2013/01/24/coveted-clothing-retailer-hm-to-open.html

• Like 1