Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

10 hours ago, PHofKS said:

I met a couple from Knoxville a few weeks ago who could not get a room in or near downtown on a Thursday night. I don't know where they stayed. I had the same problem looking for a room in Austin, TX a week ago. Had to stay in San Antonio.

We had about 4-5 clients for the company I work for come into town 2 weeks ago and they all had the same issue. 2 of them had to stay in Mt Juliet, and the other 3 were in Donelson. It was a Tues/Wed night also, so I wouldn't expect that to be prime time?

• Like 1

^ ^ ^ I'm trying to recall if it was Ron or William who shared at the latest meet-up about New Orleans: Apparently they have something like 20,000+ rooms within a mile of their convention center. As Nashville continues to be not only a convention hotbed, but a growing tourist destination, AND a business harbor (medical, auto, government, publishing, music, etc.) we will need to at least double the amount of rooms in the core areas in the next decade.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I'm thinking we'll have to wait until all the hotels planned for the south side of KVB to be open before rates get back to normal. Demand outweighs supply by a long way at the moment.

Hopefully Charlotte Avenue and Gallatin Road will develop nicely and create some quality hotel stock. Midtown is definitely getting a lot of nice hotels.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PHofKS said:

I met a couple from Knoxville a few weeks ago who could not get a room in or near downtown on a Thursday night. I don't know where they stayed. I had the same problem looking for a room in Austin, TX a week ago. Had to stay in San Antonio.

You must have been here on MotoGP weekend.  Downtown would have been filling up the Thursday before.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

Correct, and Milwaukee only has 2 top tier sports teams: The Bucks (NBA) and Brewers (MLB). No hockey or football.

Many people would argue that the Packers are a "Milwaukee North" franchise.  The majority of the attendance for each game at Lambeau Field commutes northward from the Brew Town.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, markhollin said:

Many people would argue that the Packers are a "Milwaukee North" franchise.  The majority of the attendance for each game at Lambeau Field commutes northward from the Brew Town.

You raise a good point, one which cannot be merely swept under the rug.  Historically a number of major pro franchises have names appended to a state or to a region, rather than to a city.

In the case of New England, Gillette Stadium has a lot of "country" (rural space) between it and it's commonly "assumed" home city, whereas for decades the site of Foxboro Mass. has been the official home and playing venue of the Patriots, starting in 1971.  When the team was named "Boston Patriots", of the American Football Conference, from 1960-70, it played its games at several local Boston fields, including Fenway Park and Harvard.

The Patriots' current home at Gillette Stadium, which replaced Foxboro Stadium in 1971, intentionally was selected, as privately donated land to being close to halfway between Boston and Providence (which led to the re-association to "New England").

Even though Gillette is about 4 miles closer to Providence, the Pats tend to be associated with Boston and with Massachusetts as a whole, rather than with the State of RI and its capital city Providence.

So as far as Milwaukee is concerned, IMO it arguably would be "acceptable" to "adopt" the Packers, for statistical purposes, given the "debatable" case of the Pats.  Even if the city name is "Green Bay", any team might effectively have fan-base support in more than one MSA.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Pack actually has a special provision in the NFL Bylaws extending its home territory to all of Milwaukee County.

Generally speaking, the NFL uses two terms for franchise areas:

• Home Territory covers the area up to 75 miles outside the corporate limits of the city in which the club plays its home games. If two teams' cities are located within 100 miles of each other, then the area between them is halved. As noted, the Packers have an exception to this rule, as does the 49ers and Raiders (covers the fact that the Niners are based in Santa Clara) and the Ravens and Redskins (if the Dirty Birds relocate, the Skins inherit their home territory). Interestingly the Jets and Giants have no special provision, I guess their home territories are considered to be coterminous.
  • Home Marketing Area includes the home territory, plus the state where the club is based. Where multiple franchises share a state, they all share the home marketing area. Clubs may also claim portions of other states if it doesn't infringe on other clubs' areas.

Also, television markets are usually more of a factor in pro sports than the population of the city (notwithstanding the fact that the latter affects the former). Nashville is the 29th-largest TV market in the country.

• Like 1

I can't find the post that utgrad09 made about Nashville's robust housing starts for 2016, but when digging a little deeper into the numbers Nashville is really looking good.

Here's what the Census Bureau says:

So far in 2016, the Nashville metro area has 3,969 approved housing starts which is 7th best in the nation.  The only metro areas with more housing starts are Dallas-Ft Worth (7,205), Houston (6,942), Atlanta, (6,628), NYC (4,954), Los Angeles (4,582), and Phoenix (4,019).

But what strikes me is the number of new housing units that are in multi-unit buildings.  Of Nashville's 3,969 approved new housing units, 2,248 are in buildings of at least 5 housing units.  In other words, there are now more condos/apartments being developed in Nashville's MSA than there are single family homes.  And the only other metro areas in the country with more multi-unit buildings under construction than Nashville are NYC (3,348), Los Angeles (3,289), Atlanta (3,257), Dallas-Ft Worth (2,893), and Miami-Ft Lauderdale (2,353).  By comparison, Nashville's peer cities are still developing more single family homes than multiple-unit buildings:

City - single housing units vs. multiple housing buildings (2 units+)

• Austin - 1,798 vs. 1,499
  • Birmingham - 404 vs. 226
  • Charlotte - 1,839 vs. 398
  • Louisville - 406 vs. 401
  • Memphis - 410 vs. 375
  • Nashville - 1,699 vs. 2,260
  • Raleigh - 1,271 vs. 18

And to show just how much Nashville is growing compared to the rest of Tennessee, here are the numbers for Tennessee's other metro areas.

metro area - total housing units - single housing units

• Chattanooga - 268 - 179
  • Clarksville - 248 - 197
  • Cleveland - 71 - 49
  • Jackson - 15 - 15
  • Johnson City - 15 - 15
  • Kingsport-Bristol - 1 - 1
  • Knoxville - 378 - 338
  • Memphis - 785 - 410
  • Morristown - n/a
  • Nashville - 3,969 - 1,699

http://www.census.gov/construction/bps/txt/t3yu201602.txt

• Like 3

• Austin - 1,798 vs. 1,499
  • Birmingham - 404 vs. 226
  • Charlotte - 1,839 vs. 398
  • Louisville - 406 vs. 401
  • Memphis - 410 vs. 375
  • Nashville - 1,699 vs. 2,260
  • Raleigh - 1,271 vs. 18

Wow, these numbers are stunning!  More multi-family being developed in Nashville than Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Memphis put together!    Also, ohhhhh Raleigh.  

• Like 1

Noticed something on the OMNI last night I have never seen before.  The words "GO PREDS" were scrolling on the hotel's LED lights.  Has anyone seen that before?  Usually its just blue and yellow after the game but was impressed with the scrolling marque.  If I wasn't driving I would have taken a pic or video.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

Noticed something on the OMNI last night I have never seen before.  The words "GO PREDS" were scrolling on the hotel's LED lights.  Has anyone seen that before?  Usually its just blue and yellow after the game but was impressed with the scrolling marque.  If I wasn't driving I would have taken a pic or video.

A friend sent me a video of that last night. It was very cool.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I noticed it last week from the camera that WKRN has on the Adventure Science Center. You can check it out at night and get a good view. For some reason the camera is sometimes in night vision mode and looks black and white. Luckily when I saw the GO Preds scrolling across the Omni it was in color.  Looks pretty cool. 

47 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

Makes me think of the messages that used to be on the Tennessee Tower. I know they weren't scrolling, but still a nice touch. Now the building just sits in the dark unnoticed. 

Didn't think you might have been around that long, TNinVB.  Of course, that was back when it was still NLT / American General, I suppose.  That's when they "dared" light it up up with a Christmas cross, from windows of lighted rooms.

• Like 1

When we first moved to the Nashville area in 1988 it was one of the things that I thought was cool and stood out in the skyline apart from the argon lights on top of the R2-D2 building.

Heck even some food lights shining up the facade would look better than how it looks now.

Just a couple of announcements today regarding 500 new jobs... 

Nissan expansion 200 jobs:  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/04/26/exclusive-nissan-adds-almost-200-jobs-in-57m.html

Optoro Southeast hub 300 jobs:  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/04/dc-tech-firm-backed-by-steve-case-al-gore-to.html

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2