Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

That Covington one is striking, but I think it's not pretty. It's curved, and as you can see the windows are randomly set. IMHO, it makes a better picture than it looks up close. It was being built about ten years ago when I was doing a lot of travelling to Cincinnati, and stayed across the street from that building at an Embassy Suites. 

Agreed.  But a great location right near the Roebling Bridge.  BTW, I'm a big fan of Covington.  Sort of Germantown meets East Nashville feel, and all right across the river from downtown Cincy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Agreed.  But a great location right near the Roebling Bridge.  BTW, I'm a big fan of Covington.  Sort of Germantown meets East Nashville feel, and all right across the river from downtown Cincy.

Not to highjack this thread too awfully much for CVKY, but I too am a big fan of Covington.  Mainstrasse Village is much preferred over Newport and its tourists.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 3

The NBJ's list of the Top 5 building contractors in the Nashville area:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/subscriber-only/2016/05/06/general-contractors.html

In the adjoining article was this graphic from a larger survey of ALL area contractors asking them when they thought the Nashville construction boom was going to level off:

Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 2.08.53 PM.png

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 1

The surge of new business start-ups in Nashville area is huge. "Statewide there were 9,546 initial business filings in 2016’s first quarter. Davidson County accounted for almost 24 percent of those new business starts."  Also, "Nashville's new business starts to begin 2016 were 50 percent higher than the totals during the first quarter of last year."

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/05/just-how-much-new-business-does-nashville-have-a.html

• Like 3

6 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if another network (like a cable network) picked it up.

I didn't particularly care for the show, but it seemed to have some great city shots and was basically an hour long fairytale tourism ad.

I guarantee CMT would love to have it...but I'm not sure if they'd be willing to pay enough to keep it.  CMT has started doing original scripted programming (not just reality shows)...so it would easily fit their new programming agenda.

Oh it is entirely doable.  I talked with one of the engineers with Bovis at the time, which built most of the stadium. He said it had been "value engineered" out of necessity, but it was intended to be adaptable to a roof.  I don't recall that "retractable" was in our discussion, but seems to me that would all be part of the exoskeleton, not what already exists. 

Not an engineer here, but I'd assume the current structure would not support a dome.  The whole thing would have to encircle the stadium and be self-supporting. So it would still be very very expensive. However, for that reason it seems it could be phased in over 2-3 years without interrupting the NFL schedule. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Not an engineer here, but I'd assume the current structure would not support a dome.  The whole thing would have to encircle the stadium and be self-supporting. So it would still be very very expensive. However, for that reason it seems it could be phased in over 2-3 years without interrupting the NFL schedule. 

Yeah it would definitely have to be built around the current stadium and it's still going to cost several hundred million but that's way better than a billion or more dollars for a brand new one 

• Like 3

On 5/13/2016 at 1:45 PM, titanhog said:

So basically, it looks like we'd just have to have a structure built over the stadium...kinda like putting the stadium inside of a garage...correct?

Since we're Nashville, let's just put one big pole barn over it.

• Like 3