Carolina Panthers

^Nobody, and I repeat nobody is worse than Falcons fans. Panthers fans tend to be stubborn though. Look forward to seeing the Bank jumpin' on Saturday for the playoff game!

Didn't look like  bandwagon fans when we packed the Georgia Dome on Sunday!!!!!

I wouldn't say "bandwagon" fans so much as "fair-weather" fans. Plenty of people I know who appear to be the biggest fans on-paper had given up by mid season and stopped watching. Maybe its because I only got into football later in life but I have to watch to the end of all but the worst games. 

Going about two months without winning a game will do that to just about any fan base. Agree, I think fair-weathered is most descriptive. Then again, it's hard to build that momentum as a fan base when you've never had back-to-back playoff appearances as franchise until this year. That's why I get so annoyed when Steelers or Patriots fans make the comment that we don't support the team. Our apologies for not having 6 Super Bowl wins or 12 straight 10+ win seasons. 

Edited by wend28

Add Bank of America to the list of "fair-weather fans."  It took the Panthers making the playoffs for BoACC to finally be lit up blue again...  Charlotte has always been a fair-weather city.  Everybody knows Charlotte consists of a huge proportion of transplants that have moved here within the past two decades.  You also have to consider that Charlotteans that are from Charlotte originally were around long before the Panthers ever made it to town, their loyalties still lie elsewhere.  The civic pride just isn't here yet.  I feel that it will take until the next generation matures to adulthood before the Panthers become the favorite in town in good times and bad.  Most people I heckle for wearing non-Panther attire are either not originally from Charlotte or were here long before the team.  It's hard for new teams to truly get their roots in.

The TV ratings system is biased to larger markets, not popularity based on performance as a whole.  The Panthers went 12-4 last year and, yet, were still only 20th in tv ratings in the NFL.  We're just a small NFL market.  I'm also not sure I believe that the Panthers are last this year.  There are several teams that routinely have their games blacked out (see Jacksonville for a good example.)  You can't tell me that they truly have a better viewership than the Panthers if their games are blacked out in local markets.  Thanks to PSL ownership, the Panthers don't ever have to worry about such things.

On a different note, the Panthers are at 40/1 odds for a Superbowl title this year.  Despite being 7-8-1 (the 2nd worst record by a playoff team ever,) the Panthers are actually ranked higher in overall odds than the Cardinals, the Bengals, and the Lions. 

But, this IS the Panthers, just ask Jake Delhomme how to methodically lose to the Cardinals in the playoffs when picked as the favorite.  He knows the way.

EDIT: grammar

Edited by AuLukey

I mean, congrats Panthers but wow are they lucky they played Arizona. Carolina tried their very best to lose that game. Turnovers, Cam's pathetic accuracy, dropped passes, b.s. Penalties that went the Panthers way, etc. They have a lot to get together if they even want a remote chance against GB or Seattle.

For the record, the defense was good but people need to keep in mind they were playing a 4th string QB.

I mean, congrats Panthers but wow are they lucky they played Arizona. Carolina tried their very best to lose that game. Turnovers, Cam's pathetic accuracy, dropped passes, b.s. Penalties that went the Panthers way, etc. They have a lot to get together if they even want a remote chance against GB or Seattle.

For the record, the defense was good but people need to keep in mind they were playing a 4th string QB.

Flew in for the game, completely agree. Defense would have beaten anyone, offense tried to lose it.

After so many consecutive wins, it starts to be less luck & more skill, you think?

We held them to 78 yards. Injuries are part of the NFL and Arizona still has NFL a caliber talent on the offensive side of the ball. Special teams was still the issue for us, but our defense can keep us in every game.

Not that it should come as a surprise, but Kuechly is a flat out monster.

We held them to 78 yards. Injuries are part of the NFL and Arizona still has NFL a caliber talent on the offensive side of the ball. Special teams was still the issue for us, but our defense can keep us in every game.

Not that it should come as a surprise, but Kuechly is a flat out monster.

The same 3rd string QB and Arizona offense hung 397 yards on the 49ers last week. Edited by Guest

The same 3rd string QB and Arizona offense hung 397 yards on the 49ers last week.

The stadium looked like it was rocking. Hope you guys didn't get too wet out there. I was given a directive by the wife that we would not be walking to Craft, sorry I missed you guys for the billionth time!

The stadium looked like it was rocking. Hope you guys didn't get too wet out there. I was given a directive by the wife that we would not be walking to Craft, sorry I missed you guys for the billionth time!

All good! Yea man it was rocking, quite literally, used to freak me out when I was a kid when the upper deck would literally bounce, definitely freaks me out more as an adult... We stayed pretty dry, rain was done by halftime. So glad we won, it feels great, I'm sitting on the Tarmac at CLT and I'm in high spirits! GO PANTHERS!!!

On a Charlotte development note, I also have to say Faisons apartment is different enough from the rest of them that I don't mind it anymore and it's amazing how much southend is growing.

Lol I'm not sure what game you guys were watching. It's only because of how terrible Lindley and their ST are that they won that game. It will take beyond a miracle to beat Seattle. Again, go Panthers it's cool they won and good for the city, but by no means did they well. The defense was in absolute shut down mode for sure but you can't deny the constant miscues (mostly on offense).

To put it simply the Panthers defense was the only playoff caliber unit on the field.

Edited by Jayvee

Seattle is somehow only favored by 11.5 that's crazy, but yes the birds thing is hilarious.

"Only favored by 11.5".... That goes to show you know little about how Vegas works. That's a ton of points in the NFL. The line will move to between 8 and 9.5 if I had to guess. A lot of people will put money on the Panthers at 11.5. I'd take my chances in Seattle before I would in single digit temps in Green Bay. Panthers will have to play their best game of the year to win on Saturday, but I wouldn't discredit them. There is a reason why they play these games (Panthers lost 13-9, 12-7 last two times they played since 2013). I don't care if you're playing little sisters of the poor, giving up 78 total yards in a playoff game is about as good as a it gets. As RD pointed out AZ rung up almost 400 yards on the 49ers, who are a top 5 D, the week before that was playing their last game for a coach they loved. 

How is golf season going for the Browns, btw?

• Like 1

"Only favored by 11.5".... That goes to show you know little about how Vegas works. That's a ton of points in the NFL. The line will move to between 8 and 9.5 if I had to guess. A lot of people will put money on the Panthers at 11.5. I'd take my chances in Seattle before I would in single digit temps in Green Bay. Panthers will have to play their best game of the year to win on Saturday, but I wouldn't discredit them. There is a reason why they play these games (Panthers lost 13-9, 12-7 last two times they played since 2013). I don't care if you're playing little sisters of the poor, giving up 78 total yards in a playoff game is about as good as a it gets. As RD pointed out AZ rung up almost 400 yards on the 49ers, who are a top 5 D, the week before that was playing their last game for a coach they loved.

How is golf season going for the Browns, btw?

Taking a dig at the Browns means absolutely nothing, not news they suck but the links are great. Also, I happen to know a lot about Vegas and sports betting, it was more just a statement of disbelief rather than fact based. The line is likely to drop but it's still not likely the Panthers win. But yes, I fully understand any given Sunday, or Saturday in this case. And look, it's great for the city if they do, and I hope they do for fun's sake. I just wish people (not on this forum, but around the city people are so clueless) that they played a great game. They didn't. However, defense wins Super Bowls so, keep pounding? Edited by Jayvee

Taking a dig at the Browns means absolutely nothing, not news they suck but the links are great. Also, I happen to know a lot about Vegas and sports betting, it was more just a statement of disbelief rather than fact based. The line is likely to drop but it's still not likely the Panthers win. But yes, I fully understand any given Sunday, or Saturday in this case. And look, it's great for the city if they do, and I hope they do for fun's sake. I just wish people (not on this forum, but around the city people are so clueless) that they played a great game. They didn't. However, defense wins Super Bowls so, keep pounding?

You don't get style points for how you win in the NFL like you do college. Though, you can certainly get an assist from the refs like the Cowboys did with one of the worst no calls (or actually flag pickup) in recent memory. The Panthers won, people are excited around here... who cares if Cam Newton didn't look like Joe Montana or that the special teams is still the Achilles heel of this team. Especially considering how bad their last two playoff games were. And yes, they have a tall task this week. They'll need their A+ game.

On a different note, Ron Rivera's house was on fire this morning. Luckily nobody was hurt. 

Edited by wend28

They put up a surprising and valiant effort for a while. Seattle is just too good. Positive is, it's very likely the Panthers are favored to win the division this year. If they improve the line, improve ST and Cam learns how to be more accurate, and be a way better decision maker, They're easily a 10-6 or better team b