Carolina Panthers

19-0-0!

But in all seriousness, those Q2 games and Thanksgiving will be our only obstacle this season, barring any major injury.  The down side of that schedule: every single prime time game we have this season is against a team that had at least a 10-6 record last season.  While that makes sense for ratings, it hurts our chances of shining in the spotlight.  We were more than cursed last season, let's hope that doesn't carry over to this year.

Johnathon Martin retiring at the last second does hurt our depth at OT (as if we had any anyway,) but at least we didn't lose a starter.  Our offensive line is what's going to hold us back for sure.

I'm just ready for our Seattle Slump to be over.  But my pessimistic side would be satisfied hitting the second half of the season with a 5-3 record.

12-4-0

• 3 weeks later...

There are always surprise teams, both better and worse.  Having said that, here's a look at over-under win numbers.  Carolina o/u is about 8 wins, depending on which sports book.

They have 5 games against teams that are supposed to be (should be) significantly worse: Jax (5.5), Ten (5.5), TB twice (6), and Was (6.5).

They have 6 games against teams that are about the same (all 8.5): Hou, NO twice, Atl twice, NYG.

They have 2 games against teams that are supposed to be slightly better: Phi (9.5) and Dal (9.5).

They have 3 games against teams that are supposed to be significantly better: Ind (10.5), GB (11ish), Sea (11).

Needless to say, they have to win the 5 against the first group.  If they can win 3/6 of the next group, they're at 8 wins.

I'm still optimistic.  

• Like 1

Let's not forget that the Panthers aren't the only ones with injuries here... Case in point Green Bay just lost Jordy Nelson for the year. Arguably Aaron Rodgers' favorite target. I'd advocate the Panthers bringing in Randy Moss. You could argue that he's better than any option the Panthers have at WR now and he hasn't even played in 2 years. Moss made it clear on TV last night that he was available and ready to play if someone gave him a call. But, I don't see Gettleman pulling that trigger.

• 3 weeks later...

Sports Illustrated is predicting 9-7 for the Panthers with a division win and one playoff win.  The "funny" thing is that they have them starting the season 1-6 and then winning 8 of their last 9.  If the Panthers start 1-6, I'll.....I'll.....I don't know what I'll do.  

I'm still confident.  I've always held it doesn't matter much who is catching the ball, and it doesn't matter much who is running the ball ---- if the O-line is good, you're good.  Of course I won't be convinced the O-line *is* any good until a few games in, but for now I'm hopeful and optimistic.

• 3 weeks later...