Carolina Panthers

The byline on the game is the Panther's need for more offensive weapons. What I saw last night was Seattle receivers continually running past Carolina corners.

I felt like the story of the game was Russell Wilson's success in exploiting a soft secondary.

Edited by Dale

That game did one thing in particular for me; which is solidify that Russel Wilson is an unbelievable talent. I knew he was good but wow wow wow he is something. Congrats to Seattle and a bummer for us, but oh well.

"Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina for a Panthers Football Gaaaaammmmmeeeee!"

That game did one thing in particular for me; which is solidify that Russel Wilson is an unbelievable talent. I knew he was good but wow wow wow he is something. Congrats to Seattle and a bummer for us, but oh well.

"Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina for a Panthers Football Gaaaaammmmmeeeee!"

This, yet I've seen people try to cal Russell Wilson a game manager QB.

Russell Wilson may not be the best at any one thing in the NFL, but he's the most complete package IMO. He can read the field well, he can make all the throws, he doesn't make many mistakes and he is extremely elusive.

It's so much more than weapons for Cam. His decision making is terrible, he is easily 'defeated' and most of all he overthrows passes like that's his job. Hopefully he works on all that and Benjamin and him should be a sight to behold next year. I would still bet on the Panthers to win the division next year, barring major injuries or losses in the off season.

• Like 1

Cam just needs better weapons. He's throwing to inexperienced/undrafted rookies. Carolina needs a wide receiver that has speed. Most of the guys we have now are very slow, which makes it difficult to come from behind. Car also needs to sign or draft a left tackle.

Sounds like they could have used someone like Steve Smith...

One of the main problems that I see is the receivers usually have to stop to catch a Cam pass, He really needs to be able to hit a receiver in stride or have someone who can catch up to a deep pass as Smith did many times. But, considering where this team was at Thanksgiving, it was a great run. Seattle was just a better team and Russell Wilson was beyond good. Hopefully the Panthers are able add talent at WR, and the secondary.

And a punt returner, definitely need one of those.

• Like 1

It's so much more than weapons for Cam. His decision making is terrible, he is easily 'defeated' and most of all he overthrows passes like that's his job. Hopefully he works on all that and Benjamin and him should be a sight to behold next year. I would still bet on the Panthers to win the division next year, barring major injuries or losses in the off season.

Panthers' defensive backs were easily defeated. Their coverage was abysmal.

It was pretty obvious that the Seahawks were a better team last night... For the Panthers to win, they had to play a pretty flawless game. They didn't and that's why they lost. Turnovers, missed tackles and dropped passes (see that Tolbert one for ex.) were the reason. Cam was constantly under pressure. He made some bad decisions no doubt (I don't blame that pick 6 entirely on him because he was trying to make a play in a situation where they needed one). And that untimely Stewart fumble hurt too. Oh well... This team still have a bright future. Need to plug in some hog mollies on the OL and get play maker at WR. And rework the Special Teams. This team would so benefit from having a guy like Devin Hester or Dwayne Harris. 

Unbelievably, still no mention of the most striking defeciancy last night: the secondary.

They're young, but Bene and Boston surely have bright futures and the experience over the last couple months of their rookie year will help them develop. We all know Norman's potential going forward, so while we may find some help in the draft and FA, there shouldn't be any major overhaul. Harper is slowing but is a good influence and mentor for all these young guys. I also like a lot of what Colin Jones has done in the last month in the nickel slot.

Yes the secondary gave up some big plays last night but on a couple of those plays they actually had good coverage, Wilson just placed the ball perfectly in those instances. For the most part in the second half of the season the secondary preformed well. If we base offseason changes based on last night then would you suggest we replace Luke Kuechly since he missed a couple of tackles?

It has been the offense that sputtered through much of the season and needs the most attention in terms of upgrades. Speed at receiver and pass blocking are what I see as being the biggest needs this offseason.

Well, they gave it a shot.  As has been said, they needed to play really really well, and they didn't play well enough.  It wasn't just mistakes sometimes, it was mistakes on top of mistakes.  Opening drive, Stewart fumbles backward for -4 yards.  If that doesn't happen, then Cotchery never drops the pass on 3rd down.  Same with Tolbert's drop -- first down on that drive was a 10-yard completion to Olsen that was negated by a 10-yard penalty on Remmers.  You just can't do those things and beat Seattle at this stage.  Cam had a couple horrible throws, but really did pretty well overall.

Looking back at their schedule, we knew that streak in the middle was going to be ugly -- but it actually started before that with losses to really good PIT (playoff team) and BAL (playoff winner).  A win against CHI, but then the part we knew was coming -- CIN (playoff team), GB (CONF finalist at least), SEA (conf finalist at least), NO (surprisingly bad team, and an ugly loss at home), PHI (10-win team).  That stretch was brutal, and the Panthers were hurt and not playing well anyway.

Might as well throw in my opinion on next year -- no need to spend any serious money or draft picks on receivers or "weapons".  The real need is at O-line.  And O-line.  And O-line.  And I like what I've seen from Bene and Boston, so I hope they improve, but the secondary still needs help and depth.  Special teams help is a no-brainer -- but you rarely target players for that -- so I guess start by firing the coach?

What is DeAngelo's contract status?  If at all possible, I think it's time for him to go.  Sadly.

I'm optimistic for next year already -- it's going to be a long 8 months.  Here's hoping NO, ATL, and TB still suck.  Panthers get the AFC South next season with favorable home/away setup -- HOU and IND at home, JAX and TEN on road -- so let's hope for at LEAST 3 wins there.  That leaves PHI, WAS, GB at home, with DAL, NYG, SEA on the road.  You never know how good anybody's going to be, but I like that schedule better already!

They're young, but Bene and Boston surely have bright futures and the experience over the last couple months of their rookie year will help them develop. We all know Norman's potential going forward, so while we may find some help in the draft and FA, there shouldn't be any major overhaul. Harper is slowing but is a good influence and mentor for all these young guys. I also like a lot of what Colin Jones has done in the last month in the nickel slot.

Possibly errors of youth, but arguably the difference in the game.

Possibly errors of youth, but arguably the difference in the game.

Very much the difference in the game, but also big game experience for the young secondary. I don't thick Boston leaves that floater wide open on the first td or that Bene loses his man on the 2nd td next year.

Both rookie mistakes in a big game.

Edited by MilZ

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to Ron Rivera on Saturday.  He's a nice guy but SO MUCH QUIETER than you'd expect him to be.  Being soft spoken doesn't mean anything bad, but it caught me a bit off-guard at first.  Also, never realized the guy wasn't an inch over 6'0".  TV really adds on the... err... umm... inches? Glad to see a head coach in Charlotte that cares about the city.  I heard that Fox was a bit of a dick in person (which would realistically explain the sudden departure from Denver.)

Interested to see what the changes in the NFC South abroad will do to the chances of a three-peat for the Panthers.

Edited by AuLukey

Talked to Ron Rivera on Saturday.  He's a nice guy but SO MUCH QUIETER than you'd expect him to be.  Being soft spoken doesn't mean anything bad, but it caught me a bit off-guard at first.  Also, never realized the guy wasn't an inch over 6'0".  TV really adds on the... err... umm... inches? Glad to see a head coach in Charlotte that cares about the city.  I heard that Fox was a bit of a dick in person (which would realistically explain the sudden departure from Denver.)

Interested to see what the changes in the NFC South abroad will do to the chances of a three-peat for the Panthers.

I figured that Rivera would be an all around good guy in person... He hangs around Southpark a good amount since he lives over near that way and I've had a few buddies run into him and say the same thing. Real nice guy. I'm guessing maybe Fox has a different demeanor now or over the last few years with the way he was pushed out by Richardson & co.. I crossed paths with him at the (then) Wachovia Pro-Am (2007 or 08?). I thought he was a good guy. He was slapping high fives with fans and chatted with people as he waited his turn to tee off. Most of the other celebs at the Pro-Am wouldn't do it. Steve Spurrier at the time wouldn't even look your way unless you kissed his feet.. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12300188/charges-vs-greg-hardy-carolina-panthers-tossed

The charges against Greg Hardy have been dropped. It's amazing what money can buy, he basically paid her off to be unavailable to the state, and as a result they have no case. Better believe he will be suited up this season.

Edited by Jayvee

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12300188/charges-vs-greg-hardy-carolina-panthers-tossed

The charges against Greg Hardy have been dropped. It's amazing what money can buy, he basically paid her off to be unavailable to the state, and as a result they have no case. Better believe he will be suited up this season.

Not for the Panthers though.  Which I'm fine with.  Hardy is awesome, but he is going to command some big time money.  Money that he probably isn't worth.  Our D Line is solid as is.  I'd rather we keep our $13m we spent on him and spend it on an OL or WR.  

• Like 1

Not for the Panthers though.  Which I'm fine with.  Hardy is awesome, but he is going to command some big time money.  Money that he probably isn't worth.  Our D Line is solid as is.  I'd rather we keep our $13m we spent on him and spend it on an OL or WR.  

Yeah I agree. Towards the end of the season (once they realized he's not coming back), the defense played find without him, and we have WAY better needs that money can address.

• 2 weeks later...

Not like we needed this area to get weaker, but cutting this for cap space is a good move. There are plenty of players out there to fill his void and not like Decoud had much of an impact anyway.

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/12318/panthers-free-up-cap-space-by-cutting-decoud 

They also signed Chris Scott to the offense line team, another good move as the money will have little impact, and he's not a bad player if he's healthy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/12301/panthers-reach-agreement-with-restricted-free-agent-chris-scott?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Edited by Jayvee

Panthers release DeAngelo Williams, part of spring cleaning, and almost expected to be honest. My guess is Cam is asking for a lot (unjustifiably if you ask me) and they're trying to make sure they can cover him and Luke next year. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12370157/deangelo-williams-released-carolina-panthers

Panthers release DeAngelo Williams, part of spring cleaning, and almost expected to be honest. My guess is Cam is asking for a lot (unjustifiably if you ask me) and they're trying to make sure they can cover him and Luke next year. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12370157/deangelo-williams-released-carolina-panthers

If we sign Cam to a long term contract, his cap number will most likely stay the same or go down next year, not up. Letting D Willy go will go further towards free agency and giving Stewart and Fozzy more touches.

I will miss Deangelo though. He was a class act and deservedly a fan favorite.

• Like 1