Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Businesses are publicly condemning the bill for publicity reasons. It's popular. You should be worried if they were pulling out without saying anything. No business would decide to pull out of a deal in Charlotte because of this bill. If literally every last thing about site selection was the exact same between Charlotte and some other city, then they might pick that other city because of it but if they had already chosen Charlotte for some reason, this almost certainly wouldn't be enough for them to change their mind.

Should south end high rises be on that list?

^ I agree, deals that have reached a certain point will move forward. But I think it's clear that we have been scratched off most site selection lists (a company which relies on professional workers will have a much easier time recruiting in a city that does not share our baggage). 

This becomes a really big deal for any potential spec projects. New office consumers are just not gonna come to town until HB2 gets repealed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

How come Houston is allowed to have NCAA tourney games? Or Championships for that matter? They passed the same law just recently I thought. Odd

I'm not sure about Texas, but Houston did just last year iirc.  Most companies are just using this as free publicity.  I doubt they actually care.

On 9/29/2015 at 3:27 PM, kermit said:

@Jayvee Any updates on Fourth Ward Bread Co? Based on walking/driving by that location, nothing seems to be moving.

I won't pretend to understand what goes into rehabbing a building with fire damage, but I have a hard time believing that it can take this long to see progress. 

8 hours ago, Spartan said:

@Jayvee Any updates on Fourth Ward Bread Co? Based on walking/driving by that location, nothing seems to be moving.

I won't pretend to understand what goes into rehabbing a building with fire damage, but I have a hard time believing that it can take this long to see progress. 

Absolute zero activity since January. Noooo clue what's going on here. It's annoying. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Absolute zero activity since January. Noooo clue what's going on here. It's annoying. 

Even with inevitable complications like code updates and permitting and inspection delays (my company works in this industry), there is no reason why this restoration shouldn't have been completed many, many months ago unless there are insurance coverage issues or some sort of unresolved disagreement between the property owner and tenant and/or their insurance companies.  I hope whatever is going on gets resolved soon because I really miss this place living just a few blocks away!

In this plan you see Dunbar street.  A Dunbar street usually indicates a neighborhood planned for african americans. Paul Lawrence Dunbar, a famous black poet of more than a century ago is thus honored (and signaled). Coming home very early one Sunday morning (1 a. m.) from Greensboro I ran out of gas on West Morehead and coasted down to Dunbar and to a stop about one short block east of the end of this drawing. I woke my wife and she said "Are we home?" I said "Almost". It was a ten block walk for me to the house and the other car which I used to fetch her. Gas was saved for the next morning. There were still small frame and clapboard houses on the street at that time in the 80's. It was the first time I was aware that there was such a street or its location. I recall it fondly as Dunbar Street and I have a special relationship.

When was the last time you ran out of gas in your car?

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

In this plan you see Dunbar street.  A Dunbar street usually indicates a neighborhood planned for african americans. Paul Lawrence Dunbar, a famous black poet of more than a century ago is thus honored (and signaled). Coming home very early one Sunday morning (1 a. m.) from Greensboro I ran out of gas on West Morehead and coasted down to Dunbar and to a stop about one short block east of the end of this drawing. I woke my wife and she said "Are we home?" I said "Almost". It was a ten block walk for me to the house and the other car which I used to fetch her. Gas was saved for the next morning. There were still small frame and clapboard houses on the street at that time in the 80's. It was the first time I was aware that there was such a street or its location. I recall it fondly as Dunbar Street and I have a special relationship.

When was the last time you ran out of gas in your car?

Is this real life?

All these developments build on the past. The area where Panther Stadium sits was a long time African American neighborhood anchored by Isabella Wyche school, Good Samaritan Hospital and Third Ward recreation center, all for blacks. Dunbar Street was perhaps the last remaining residential remnant in this area. The United House of Prayer at Carson/Mint/Dunbar is there for the same reason. Take a look at the few remaining homes there and imagine a neighborhood filled with them before 277, Carson connector, and the stadium.

Perhaps there are others on this site who carry memory of our forgotten city. I love Dunbar Street and hope it remains.

50 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

All these developments build on the past. The area where Panther Stadium sits was a long time African American neighborhood anchored by Isabella Wyche school, Good Samaritan Hospital and Third Ward recreation center, all for blacks. Dunbar Street was perhaps the last remaining residential remnant in this area. The United House of Prayer at Carson/Mint/Dunbar is there for the same reason. Take a look at the few remaining homes there and imagine a neighborhood filled with them before 277, Carson connector, and the stadium.

Perhaps there are others on this site who carry memory of our forgotten city. I love Dunbar Street and hope it remains.

I don't see why it wouldn't based on the draft design plans.  Now when they go in and construct something more permanent, I could see the street going away, but those chances are slim.  

The only thing I don't like about it is the parking on the curb.  Put the parking behind the building like everything else nowadays, and allow for foot traffic.  

24 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

I don't see why it wouldn't based on the draft design plans.  Now when they go in and construct something more permanent, I could see the street going away, but those chances are slim.  

The only thing I don't like about it is the parking on the curb.  Put the parking behind the building like everything else nowadays, and allow for foot traffic.  

Look at the plan again buddy. They are getting rid of the parking on the curb and doing patios and landscaping. Personally, and I might have shared this in the West Morehead Thread… Or just in text messages with other UPers, I'm not sure, but I hate what they think they can do with the buildings. Personally the Action Graphics building is the only one that needs more than just cosmetic work. There are some of the coolest art deco squat industrial buildings in Charlotte on that block. Put in New Windows, strip down to original brick, maybe paint one of two a funky color, put in a few glass garage doors, break up the concrete lots, put in patios and landscaping and you have a ready made restaurant row. The addition of wood louvres, corrugated metal dresses up and cheapens already beautiful structures. Some architects are so clueless, its like the are taking a giant dump on an interesting block.

20 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Look at the plan again buddy. They are getting rid of the parking on the curb and doing patios and landscaping. Personally, and I might have shared this in the West Morehead Thread… Or just in text messages with other UPers, I'm not sure, but I hate what they think they can do with the buildings. Personally the Action Graphics building is the only one that needs more than just cosmetic work. There are some of the coolest art deco squat industrial buildings in Charlotte on that block. Put in New Windows, strip down to original brick, maybe paint one of two a funky color, put in a few glass garage doors, break up the concrete lots, put in patios and landscaping and you have a ready made restaurant row. The addition of wood louvres, corrugated metal dresses up and cheapens already beautiful structures. Some architects are so clueless, its like the are taking a giant dump on an interesting block.

Only plans I know of are the ones I posted.  And that is most definitely a parking lot at the corner and mint and morehead.

20 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

In this plan you see Dunbar street.  A Dunbar street usually indicates a neighborhood planned for african americans. Paul Lawrence Dunbar, a famous black poet of more than a century ago is thus honored (and signaled).There were still small frame and clapboard houses on the street at that time in the 80's. It was the first time I was aware that there was such a street or its location. I recall it fondly as Dunbar Street and I have a special relationship.

3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

These houses...
These things make me so angry, to think there were federal projects, from urban renewal (to build gov't buildings), to highway expansion (to stimulate "growth"), the American leaders used to pushed aside a generation of people because they didn't have economic power to stop them. 

But what can we do about it today? Try to heal the wounds and bridge the painful gaps that were formed...

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Search for new planning director has been delayed due to Ron Carlee lame duck status.

http://mecktimes.com/news/2016/04/14/search-for-new-planning-director-on-hold/

I am not a planner but it really seems like delaying this and the zoing code revisions are more damaging than doing either wrong. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

On 4/14/2016 at 2:48 PM, kermit said:

The sign is up at Murphy's Kitchen and Pub in the old Celebs space (Graham and Trade). Appearances suggest standard faux Irish. Certainly more appealing looking that Celebs but meh.

It opens tomorrow. I'm hoping that its a cool spot. That part of 3rd/4th Ward is lacking in options for bars.

20 hours ago, kermit said:

Search for new planning director has been delayed due to Ron Carlee lame duck status.

http://mecktimes.com/news/2016/04/14/search-for-new-planning-director-on-hold/

I am not a planner but it really seems like delaying this and the zoing code revisions are more damaging than doing either wrong. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

That has to be the stupidest thing I've heard in a while. Are they incapable of having two hiring processes at the same time?

This happens all the time in business.  You don't hire a position if the person managing that position is open.  It dangerous to the new hire (in case their new manager doesn't like them) and it sets a bad tone with candidates for the managerial position to say you don't value their input on hiring their own people.

• Like 2