Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Woah what a cool idea!! Where did that drawing come from any why did this never happen?!?!

Yes I LOATHE that corner, it's just terrible. But considering the pain Essex has had dealing with Omni, I think it'll be very unlikely anything like this happens (unfortunately). 

It was actually posted here a few yeas ago in Founders Hall Renovations thread.  It was one of the proposals I remember being most excited about, and I still envision how much it would have transformed that corner every time I walk/run/drive past.  Not sure why it never came to fruition, but it's a shame it didn't.

EDIT: Courtesy of atlrvr in April of 2008.  Can't believe it's been that long!

Edited by cltcane

Fourth Ward Bread Co has everything approved and is ready for permits. Someone on UP knows the owners but I can't remember who. Would whoever it is be so kind as to DM me to help get me in touch with them? It would be MUCH appreciated.

CBJ sez that they got their permits today (and there is an owner name in the article)

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/09/29/fourth-ward-bread-co-gets-permits-prepares-to.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

CBJ also sez (in a completely different story) that Regions bank is looking to consolidate its 150 local employees into a single space. No further details given in the article, but fingers are crossed for Uptown:

Hawes [Region's local bossdude]  says his Charlotte team is tight on space right now. Regions employees are currently split among three locations — Morehead Street, Providence Road and SouthPark. He says they are looking to move into one larger building, but declines to comment further.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/bank_notes/2015/09/regions-bank-chief-on-employee-growth-spurt-in.html?ana=twt

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

I like the initial look, I hope the execution is solid

Me too.  While I wasn't a huge fan of the Ebenezers Coffeehouse proposal from a few years ago mostly because I didn't want to feel proselytized while having my coffee, I'm also not generally a fan of 'celebrity' restaurants (unless that celebrity is a well-regarded chef who has at least some consistent management over the kitchen) because often the focus is on the name, not on the food or overall dining experience.  Hope this is not a steakhouse or steakhouse-lite like most other professional athletes' personally-branded restaurants and doesn't turn into a bar/club at night.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amalie's painted interior walls yesterday, and they have an eclectic collection of light fixtures and other accessories piled in the middle of the space.

I think it's going to be a nice space, I love the decor at Amélie's in NoDa. I like Amélie's, the foods is quite good, so it's going to be a nice addition to Uptown. 

In other news (don't know if this has been brought up)- Not Just Coffee's plans for Packard Place have been submitted and are bring reviewed. 

Edited by Piedmont767

Just a couple miscellaneous updates:

ground clearing has has pretty much completed at the NC Music Factory apartments.  Concrete should be pouring any day.

rebar and concrete are beginning to go vertical at the Levine apartment site in 1st Ward.  While not he most exciting project, it'll make a big impact on 1st Ward looking at it from 277.  It's a BIG site.

Gateway's newest apartment project is in ground clearing stage.  All trees are gone and grading is underway.

I'm not sure how long ago they did this, but the asphalt that made up the pseudo parking lot at the corner of Remount and South Blvd has been ripped up, presumably to make way for the apartment project there.  Something looks imminent.

image.thumb.jpeg.4e690898e0f4d69b1712a2c

oh, and crescent dilworth looks fantastic.

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 3

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article36832413.html

So 400 South Tryon is getting a lobby makeover; hooray.  Meanwhile its hideous parking garage's arse still stares blankly at Bearden Park.  Developers and property management companies really don't get it sometimes.

• Like 1

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article36832413.html

So 400 South Tryon is getting a lobby makeover; hooray.  Meanwhile its hideous parking garage's arse still stares blankly at Bearden Park.  Developers and property management companies really don't get it sometimes.

Actually they are marketing a 8,000 sq foot restaurant space facing Romare Bearden and plan a "beautification"
of the parking deck. 

Actually, they need to do much more. In my opinion, this garage has always been one of the worst parking decks on Church Street. That is saying a lot since the street is dominated by parking garage entrances/exists. 

I think the chamber buildings garage is much much worse. But the goal is that once a tenant is landed for the retail space the whole facade will be spruced up. 

I'm glad to see the trend of renovating lobbies in uptown is continuing. Given when those buildings were built... does that mean it will be 30 years before they decide to fix 300 South Tryon?

Actually they are marketing a 8,000 sq foot restaurant space facing Romare Bearden and plan a "beautification"of the parking deck. 

I wish someone would buy that and make something happen there. It's such a great spot for ANYTHING.