Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article40503318.html

there are over 1000 hotel rooms planned with another 1000 most likely built within the next 5 years. Some being in the 500 room range and talks of others being bigger than Westin.

So.... Any ideas on where a hotel larger than Westin would be? 

I would imagine the parking lot directly in front of the convention center. Or the largest hotel uptown would make a great addition to the rumored mall at the Charlotte Observer site

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

the hotel did grow. It's 19 floors now. But the office height is set. 

Due to engineering, restrictions, LEED related design or something else?

My speculation was gut, I know nothing, just seemed a low-risk opportunity given the numbers and the time spent on the footings, looking at the design I was guessing adding 6 floors would be doable, and actually make the proportions and curved ascent of the building look better.  And a nice way to kickoff a new "era" of office buildings [for Spectrum].

Edited by nowensone

Wasn't this discussed on UP several years ago? I think the designer was a Charlotte native or something like that.

IRC the box art wasn't designed for Civilization, it was a poster for the Ramesses the Great exhibit at the Mint Museum in 1988-89. Though I'd prefer if there was a sarcophagus below the QC. :D 

As for the theoretical hotel at he Charlottr Observer site, wouldn't there be 3 hotels in a row? Now that's choice for you, we could call it the Charlotte Strip. 

• Like 1

Shhhh, don't share the secret of tech shops! 

Changing topic...

When does Amélie's Uptown open? 

Supposed to open in November. They are about to get the city in there to release the occupancy holds to get occupancy permits. I am pretty sure they have a staff already, or are at least close to having a full staff. Should definitely be soon though.

edit: oh my god the horrific formatting of posting a link.  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article41529321.html 

Nice write-up from Ely on the lack of quality in a lot of our current projects.  This part in particular jumped out to me:

Smith said a visit by a group of out-of-town developers several years ago ended with them deciding not to put their money in South End. They were impressed with the amount of activity, but not with the city’s requirements for new buildings.

“We have no assurances about what will be built next door,” Smith said the developers told him

and especially this: (how dumb will we all feel if Levineland becomes the highest quality part of town)

Daniel Levine, who is developing First Ward Park on Seventh Street, said much of the construction in South End is “somewhat generic.”

“It’s all very nice, but I think we’ll look back and say, ‘Oh, that was built between 2013 and 2016,’” said Levine.

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 1

Haha... yeah, that article gave me lots of hope for the future of the north side (North End, First Ward, NoDa are all prime), but who the heck knows what hope we should hang onto with that stuff.

My favorite hopeful quote was this line about alleyway networks, among other things:

Any higher design standards would likely be a hotly debated issue, and could require the city to establish a new overlay district. Smith said some of the publicly owned parcels could also have conditions attached to them as part of any sale to a developer. These could include requirements such as the building of an alley network or the inclusion of workforce housing.

“It would be highly contentious,” Smith said. “It would be a sea change.”

Edited by SgtCampsalot

He drives me insane. He says quotes like that but continues to hold his land hostage. And the apartments and garage are on hold again. It's just another excuse for him to stall. Why not build the things and sue later? Gah he drives me nuts. 

Coincidentally, there's a write up coming in the Agenda soon as well about the lack of standards. Calling out specific projects and asking everyone for change.