Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

The Hornets are holding a press conference this morning to announce they will be playing some exhibition games prior to the start of next season in China against the LA Clippers. While this is regular thing for many of the big market teams, this is a pretty big deal for a smaller market team like the Charlotte Hornets. Great opportunity to show off the brand in China where the NBA, and basketball in general, has a big following...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2015/03/25/nba-commits-to-further-growth-in-china-schedules-two-games-in-october/

• Like 1

I am shocked and bemused that the Hornets have been on the edge of the playoffs for weeks, have lost 5 of their last 6 (and 7 of their last 9), and are still only 1/2 game out.  Amazing.  We've still watched every game, but man it's been tough.

Here's how their remaining 12 games break down:

Really tough: Hawks, Hawks, Rockets

Tough but winnable: Wizards, Raptors, Raptors

Equals, so they really need to win these: Celts, Pacers, Heat

Must beat these horrible teams: Pistons, Sixers, Pistons

Edited by grodney

^For the life I mean I can't figure this team out... Cody being out definitely hurts them, but a game like last night they should have won. During a 5 game stretch they look like they can beat almost any team in the league, then the next 5 you wonder how these guys are even in the playoff hunt. A lot of defensive lapses last night against the Nets (which has been typical the last several games) and they aren't penetrating to the basket. And the missed free throws have been hurting them as well. Last night they shot 65% from the line. Can't expect to win in the NBA with that.. I want to see this team make the post season but at the same time, I don't think many people can bare the "playing good some of the time" as Steve Clifford would say in the post season which would lead to a quick exit again. 

Edited by wend28

^For the life I mean I can't figure this team out... Cody being out definitely hurts them, but a game like last night they should have won. During a 5 game stretch they look like they can beat almost any team in the league, then the next 5 you wonder how these guys are even in the playoff hunt. A lot of defensive lapses last night against the Nets (which has been typical the last several games) and they aren't penetrating to the basket. And the missed free throws have been hurting them as well. Last night they shot 65% from the line. Can't expect to win in the NBA with that.. I want to see this team make the post season but at the same time, I don't think many people can bare the "playing good some of the time" as Steve Clifford would say in the post season which would lead to a quick exit again. 

Its because Facebook made me drop the name "Hornets" as my first name. We have lost 5 out of our last 6, since that happened...

Well, it's almost over now.  A loss they couldn't afford, followed by a gift win playing the Hawks' 2nd team, and now a crushing horrible loss last night.  Injuries have killed this team (most notably MKG).  Lance was a crippling addition -- he finally got a DNP-CD last night.  Oy.  Better luck next year.

I'm not sure there's much draft difference between the bottom of the lottery and the worst playoff teams, so I'd rather have the playoff even to lose in a sweep.  But I suppose the lottery would give them a teeny tiny chance of getting lucky and moving way up.

Well, it's almost over now.  A loss they couldn't afford, followed by a gift win playing the Hawks' 2nd team, and now a crushing horrible loss last night.  Injuries have killed this team (most notably MKG).  Lance was a crippling addition -- he finally got a DNP-CD last night.  Oy.  Better luck next year.

I'm not sure there's much draft difference between the bottom of the lottery and the worst playoff teams, so I'd rather have the playoff even to lose in a sweep.  But I suppose the lottery would give them a teeny tiny chance of getting lucky and moving way up.

Sadly, this team needs to be blown up.  I hate to say it, but MKG and Kemba should be the only "safe" players on this team.  We need to gut it.  I'm going to go ahead and put myself in the "draft Sam Dekker" camp.

Stick a fork in 'em... After what I saw last night, this team is done. Injuries have played a big part, but the inconsistent effort is what has done them in. It's like this team can't function when MKG is out. Too many turnovers, fouls and mental lapses at the wrong times. The box score may not show these things, but you can just see by what's taking place on the court. Even if they somehow made it in they'd likely either play Atlanta or Cleveland. And that's another sweep. At this point, I'd rather see them get a top 10 lottery pick (currently 9th I believe). This years draft will have some depth... They need to fill in some cracks on this team in the offseason. They also have a good amount of $ to spend in free agency too. It's funny how in just two+ weeks the outlook on this team has dramatically changed. Thought they might have a run in them after the way they were playing after the all star break...

• 2 weeks later...

C'est fini

In the words of every Cleveland fan ever..... "wait 'til next year" 

But in all seriousness, they showed a lot of promise, but they were just WAY too inconsistent and injuries crushed them. They are in the process of making the right moves, so hopefully that trend continues and they have a good season next year.

On another note, I know they were approved, but now that the seasons over, will they get started on the improvements to the arena soon?

Edited by Jayvee

Guys, I don't care about the playoffs, I want a lottery pick. Imagine us playing Atlanta, missing Al, MKG, and Cody. No thanks.

The only issue I have with this is our amazingly pathetic lottery pick track record.  I just foresee a future of us drafting Frank Kaminsky.

Guys, I don't care about the playoffs, I want a lottery pick. Imagine us playing Atlanta, missing Al, MKG, and Cody. No thanks.

Yea, I don't want the playoffs either... We wouldn't stand a chance missing those guys. I also don't think Kemba is right either... He looked like he was having back issues the last couple nights. I'd like a nice lottery pick that we could trade for some veteran help.. preferably a starting perimeter shooter. I think this team has enough young guys with Kemba, Cody, MKG, Biz, Vonleh, Hairston, etc that an impact signing could really help (not Lance). Of course that means the Hornets need to stay healthy too which was obviously missing this season and the biggest factor in their drop off. 

The only issue I have with this is our amazingly pathetic lottery pick track record.  I just foresee a future of us drafting Frank Kaminsky.

The Hornets already have one of those -- his name is Cody.

I want the playoffs, but only because I don't think the draft gets you anything, except an extreme outside shot at someone who might help.  Or like wend28 said, trade the draft pick for a proven player.

Edited by grodney

The Hornets already have one of those -- his name is Cody.

I want the playoffs, but only because I don't think the draft gets you anything, except an extreme outside shot at someone who might help.  Or like wend28 said, trade the draft pick for a proven player.

You want to see them get destroyed in the first round again? lol

Lol No way in hell would they pick Frank. Remember this?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article9117713.html

And similar to grodney, were already 3 deep in future potentially consistent 4s.

Yeah, that was my point.  I was saying, our drafting has been so bad, we'd end up taking someone completely pointless...like Frank Kaminsky.

Ahh gotcha... TBH I think I was just subconsciously looking for a reason to remind people of that.

My god, this writeup from Grantland says it far better than I ever could.  We are, without a doubt, the worst drafting team in the NBA.  Possibly among the big 4.  I can't think of a team with as many 1st round wiffs as us.  Ugh.  At least we are loyal!

Charlotte Horbobnetcats (33-45)

Tao of Dom: “You’re gonna need more than that crotch rocket.”

We might have to rename that 35-40 wins/borderline no. 8-spot/late-lottery area “Charlotteland.” The poor Horbobnetcats never intended to land there again, but that’s what happens after you whiff on Lance Stephenson and watch helplessly as Al Jefferson transforms into a 45-year-old man. Now they have three solid youngsters (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kemba Walker and Cody Zeller), a top-12 pick and little else. That would be fine except they’ve had a whopping 15 first-rounders since 2004. FIFTEEN! Do you realize they picked second in ’04; then fifth and 13th; third; eighth and 22nd; ninth and 20th; 12th; ninth and 19th; second; fourth; and ninth and 24th? Some sweet picks, right? Not if you took Brandan Wright, D.J. Augustin and Noah Vonleh one spot before Joakim Noah, Brook Lopez, and Elfrid Payton. Not if you were one spot away from Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Anthony Davis … and ended up with Emeka Okafor, Adam Morrison and Kidd-Gilchrist instead.

The Horbobnetcats haven’t drafted a single All-Star since Baron Davis … in 1999. Since the first incarnation of the franchise launched in 1988, Charlotte missed the playoffs 16 of 25 times, won just four playoff series and never advanced past Round 2. So what’s positive about any of this? If you look at the NBA’s 2014-15 attendance numbers, Charlotte ranked 19th at 17,227 fans per game — just behind the Hawks and Grizzlies and ahead of the Pelicans and Suns. They even raised ticket prices by 5 percent for next season! So that’s my positive for Charlotte: It’s a franchise blessed with loyal NBA fans who aren’t ashamed to admit that they love mediocre basketball and poor decision-making.

Edited by ah59396

Drafting has been a problem, but they use some weird examples.  Brandon Wright was a selection made by Golden State in the Jason Richardson trade, DJ over Lopez isn't really a big deal (Lopez, like Big Al, puts up empty stats / isn't much of a difference maker), and it's way too early to say Payton over Vonleh was a bad choice.  Better examples would have been taking Biz over Kawhi or Klay, Zeller over Noel or Giannis, Jeff Taylor over Draymond Green, Ajinca over Ibaka, and so on...

But I'm glad they pointed out how unlucky we have been.  Losing the Anthony Davis lottery after having the worst season ever was a huge kick in the balls.

Edited by Higgs Boson

Went to the Brooklyn v Chicago game tonight with real playoff implications and watched the hornets game on my phone. I'd say the hive was more packed that Barclay Center, which was 1/2 bulls and 3/4 full, so shameful of Brooklyn. The Bulls fans were twice as loud and the bottom bowl was very empty, where as upper deck was shoulder to shoulder.