Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

I wonder if the newest generation will like the bobcats. Like 5 & 7 year olds when they're 20 "man I loved me some Bobcats, I had jerseys" etc etc while the rest of us shake our canes saying " if you even remembered the Bobcats, you knew they were a fairly lame team"

My five year old isn't happy about this.

Edited by kickazzz2000

My five year old isn't happy about this.

Rufus was apparently a fan favorite among that age group, but luckily that age group should be swayed easily to change alliance to the hornets.   The only age group that would potential lose fans from the name change would be the 16 to 25 year old age group (myself included).  While I enjoy going to bobcats games i also went to hornets game as a kid and remember how much fan I had at those, so losing the Bobcats isn't that big of a blow.

Just wondering, but does anyone else but me think the Hornets should retire some jerseys this coming season? Yes I know we have never had a true SUPERSTAR player but we had some real talent back in the day and now that we have the name, and thankfully the history/stats back, should we raise some jerseys to the rafters?

#13 (Bobby Phills) is the only jersey up there, but I cant help but feel like it would be an appropriate nod to the past team to put someone like Muggsey (#1).

Thoughts....?

Just wondering, but does anyone else but me think the Hornets should retire some jerseys this coming season? Yes I know we have never had a true SUPERSTAR player but we had some real talent back in the day and now that we have the name, and thankfully the history/stats back, should we raise some jerseys to the rafters?

#13 (Bobby Phills) is the only jersey up there, but I cant help but feel like it would be an appropriate nod to the past team to put someone like Muggsey (#1).

Thoughts....?

They need to Retire Muggsy, Kendall Gill, Alonzo and Larry Johnson. OH and obviously Ricky Davis LOL!!!

They need to Retire Muggsy, Kendall Gill, Alonzo and Larry Johnson. OH and obviously Ricky Davis LOL!!!

Do any of those names really deserve to be retired though.  Larry Johnson and Alonzo may warrant it for the Knicks and Heat respectively, but they weren't in nor cared about Charlotte for long enough for us to retire them in my mind.  Muggsy, Gill, and Dell Curry were fan favorites, but did they really do enough to warrant having there numbers retired??  I personally don't think so, perhaps the Hornets can find a way to honor them though.

Do any of those names really deserve to be retired though.  Larry Johnson and Alonzo may warrant it for the Knicks and Heat respectively, but they weren't in nor cared about Charlotte for long enough for us to retire them in my mind.  Muggsy, Gill, and Dell Curry were fan favorites, but did they really do enough to warrant having there numbers retired??  I personally don't think so, perhaps the Hornets can find a way to honor them though.

Maybe instead of retiring the numbers they can do some sort of "alumni heroes of the 90's" thing or something.  I agree with you, retiring numbers should be reserved for Hall of Fame players and great works in the community.  Though one could argue Space Jam did more for America than any charity ever could aspire to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see a Bobcats Gerald Wallace jersey retired up in the rafters. No one will ever need his Bobcats #3 again, and it would be a great gesture to show that the Bobcats weren't always the butt of jokes. The single All Star, and a part of the first playoff team... retired GW3

• 2 weeks later...

And of course you have people complaining about not having pinstripes... typical. I actually like these. They are simple yet bold. 

They are growing on me very quickly. Can't wait to own one.

A bit more from Paul Lukas of ESPN & UniWatch:

One interesting subtext to all of this is that menswear designer and North Carolina native Alexander Julian, who designed the original Hornets uniforms in the late 1980s, was hoping to design the new set, as well. He even offered to do the job for free and created 150 different design possibilities. But the Hornets are owned by Michael Jordan, who has a longstanding partnership with Nike, so the team turned down Julian's offer and had Nike create the new uniform designs -- an unusual state of affairs, given that NBA uniforms are manufactured by Nike's archrival adidas.

• 2 weeks later...

PJ Hairston, what....are...you...doing?

He is doing exactly what he does..... He has a record of stupid and reckless behavior off the court and despite his talent on the court that does not look likely to change. I, and others, were concerned about this the moment we traded for him. He can really help us in areas we are lacking on the court but this nonsense is not what we need....

• Like 2

ESPN reporting that Josh McRoberts has verbally agreed to join the Heat next season...... Well crap.....

The Heat are going to pay him $6m a year.  I like McBob, but this was a good move by the Hornets.  He is not worth that kind of coin.  Good for McBob, taking the Heat's money.

I don't pretend to know anything about the finances or contracts, and I don't watch the NBA beyond the Hornets, but it'll be pretty disappointing if the Hornets fail to bring in a single free agent I've ever heard of before.  I really thought they'd get something eye-opening done this off-season.