Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

Meanwhile, non-natives and outsiders will think the New Orleans team is relocating.  If only the team had done well under the Bobcats name, it wouldn't have mattered.  Few remember the Lakers actually started in Minneapolis, or the Hawks in St. Louis.

Well, a lot of Non natives including people on Espn either make a mistake and Call us the Hornets on a regular basis, or think the hornets are still in Charlotte if they don't follow sports.

Yeah, the Lakers and Hawks arguments aren't that parallel to the Bobcats.  Los Angeles have been the Lakers for 53 years.  We've been the Bobcats since 2004.  The Charlotte Hornets are still fresh in everyone's mind and, let's face it, outside of the Bulls they were the team of the 90's.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/4339/charlotte-hornets-starter-jackets-an-appreciation

• Like 2

^ That's hilarious, and the dude even hates Charlotte ("South-on-South" hate).  Which brings up a good point - WILL they return to the teal and purple.  Interesting that Jordan said no plans yet on that front, I would have thought that was a foregone conclusion, new Orleans changed the name and their color scheme.

^ That's hilarious, and the dude even hates Charlotte ("South-on-South" hate).  Which brings up a good point - WILL they return to the teal and purple.  Interesting that Jordan said no plans yet on that front, I would have thought that was a foregone conclusion, new Orleans changed the name and their color scheme.

I don't think not going purple and teal is an option... I think mj was retreating to the answer he gave to almost every question during the press conference haha. Plus all the "back the buzz" ads for season tickets the bobcats are putting out are purple and teal as well. Gotta love those colors :)

I loathe Bill Simmons and his pompous attitude towards anything not Boston/New York/LA or Miami. Look forward to the day when the Hornets can make him eat his words. I will say though, that the vast majority of the national media has praised the return of the Hornets to Charlotte. Saw pictures from the arena yesterday. There was a long line of teal and purple to get into TWCA for the open house and announcement. I also read where the team has reportedly sold a million dollars worth of ticket packages since yesterday's announcement. Ultimately the team needs to win on the floor for long term success, but this is definitely a positive for the short term..

Was at the open house last night.  Great vibe to see thousands of people wearing hornets gear....btw, I was the guy with two boys who got the last 3 give-away Back The Buzz t-shirts, so sorry to anyone in line after me...Go Hornets!!!

I can't wait to buy my kids (and myself) some hornets wear.  I bought a Charlotte Hornets ball-cap several months ago, but have never spent a dime on Bobcats merchandise.  I do hope they go with a true purple and TEAL, not the light blue/teal color used in the press announcement that N.O. had migrated too.  I want some garish 90's teal!

• Like 2

Was at the open house last night.  Great vibe to see thousands of people wearing hornets gear....btw, I was the guy with two boys who got the last 3 give-away Back The Buzz t-shirts, so sorry to anyone in line after me...Go Hornets!!!

I can't wait to buy my kids (and myself) some hornets wear.  I bought a Charlotte Hornets ball-cap several months ago, but have never spent a dime on Bobcats merchandise.  I do hope they go with a true purple and TEAL, not the light blue/teal color used in the press announcement that N.O. had migrated too.  I want some garish 90's teal!

I feel pretty confident they will bring back the purple and teal as well. I know Jordan said no decision on the colors had been made yet, but he also initially said the feedback on the name change was mixed. As it turned out, 80% of those surveyed wanted the Hornets name brought back. They won't do anything to dampen the enthusiasm that the city has unleashed on the Hornets return. At least one would hope not.

• 4 weeks later...

So, is it a good time to buy Bobcats paraphernalia? I'm guessing once they're re-banded as the Hornets, all of the Bobcats wear is going bye-bye. Regardless of the team's quality, I think it would be nice to own a little piece of Charlotte history.

I also wonder how rare and valuable some of it will be in twenty or so years...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Found this interesting article in the LA Times that measures the "online equity" of the NBA franchises. Not surprising to most, except for the bandwagon Heat fans, the Lakers are the most active fan base online. What was very noteworthy however is that the Charlotte Bobcats ranked #4 out of the 30 teams. According to the research: The study accounts for the Bobcats' small market size and poor team performance on the court, noting "the Charlotte market has fairly resilient fans, and probably speaks to the potential of the market if a consistent winning team is developed."

Now, if we can get a playoff team on the court. I think we're a year away, but this upcoming season should produce a much more exciting team.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-dominant-nba-franchise-online-study-20130903,0,1806864.story#axzz2dshOoTCK

• 2 weeks later...

Me guesses that the thread title should change...   :lol:

NBA owners give Bobcats OK to change name to Charlotte Hornets

hugo.png

More good news for the Bobcats and soon to be Hornets...

http://www.wbtv.com/story/23422191/bobcats-ticket-sales-are-all-the-buzz

I agree with Urbanity...Perhaps a name change for this thread is also an order.  Rather than "Charlotte Bobcats and the Arena", perhaps "Hornets and The Hive 2.0" would be more fitting.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...