Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

As far as an example of modernizing the logo goes, check out this concept from the guys at Bring Back the Buzz (top left, specifically):

3368_399060963513699_777774168_n.jpg

You can check out more of their ideas at http://www.facebook.com/BringBackTheBuzz  It looks pretty good to me.  I'd be happy with something along those lines (capturing the familiarity of the original, while modernizing the logo and font).

Like many, I was a huge Hornets fan back in the 90s.  I went to one Bobcats game in 2009, and it was okay (they won).  I've kind of lost interest in the NBA in general over the years, but I'd definitely go to more games with the old Hornets moniker back.

I think thats a great step in the right direction, speaking strictly of the main logo (the crown mark needs some work, and we should all run in the opposite direction of that metallic tagline). Personally I think it could be taken just a little farther but yeah, you put that logo in front of the average Hornets fan without making a big deal about it, and they're not going to realize its not the original. 

As it stands currently it is almost impossible to find a bobcats game on in any charlotte sports bar. I've even been heckled at Whisky Warehouse by charlotte patrons when asking if I could turn another nba game to our local team. Someone tell me this current team has been embraced by the city?!?!? Hornets would help

As it stands currently it is almost impossible to find a bobcats game on in any charlotte sports bar. I've even been heckled at Whisky Warehouse by charlotte patrons when asking if I could turn another nba game to our local team. Someone tell me this current team has been embraced by the city?!?!? Hornets would help

It's pathetic isn't it? I've been out with some friends plenty of times and have had to ask the bartender to put the Bobcats game on. I'm like seriously? Do I really have to do that? And they of course they ask "what channel"? It's the local team. There should be no reason why one TV doesn't have the local team on when they are playing. Nobody cares about some bowling tournament that's on (can anyone even name a professional bowler?). I think part of it is that some are just clueless and the other is that this city has become so filled up with transplants the first thing they think about is what's on ESPN or what channel the Knicks or Heat are on. Obviously winning will help the image too, but come on already bartenders. Sorry. That's obviously a sore spot with me. 

• 4 weeks later...

Charlotte may be looking at putting in a bid to host a future NBA All Star game... It likely wouldn't be until 2016 at the earliest. New Orleans is set to host the game in 2014 and either Madison Square Garden or the new Brooklyn Nets arena is likely to host it in 2015. Charlotte last hosted the NBA All-Star game in 1991.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2013/02/tourism-exec-eyes-nba-all-star-game-in.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+charlotte_blog_queencity+%28Charlotte+Queen+City+Agenda%29&utm_term=%23cltcc+&page=all

• 2 weeks later...

It's pathetic isn't it? I've been out with some friends plenty of times and have had to ask the bartender to put the Bobcats game on. I'm like seriously? Do I really have to do that? And they of course they ask "what channel"? It's the local team. There should be no reason why one TV doesn't have the local team on when they are playing. Nobody cares about some bowling tournament that's on (can anyone even name a professional bowler?). I think part of it is that some are just clueless and the other is that this city has become so filled up with transplants the first thing they think about is what's on ESPN or what channel the Knicks or Heat are on. Obviously winning will help the image too, but come on already bartenders. Sorry. That's obviously a sore spot with me. 

I like your 'if they were winning" argument better. There is a sinking feeling which attends the team. They may be the worst team in the NBA. And are there prospects that they are going to get better ?

Last night at the Bon Jovi concert, Time Warner Cable Arena welcomed it's 10,000,000th visitor. 

I like your 'if they were winning" argument better. There is a sinking feeling which attends the team. They may be the worst team in the NBA. And are there prospects that they are going to get better ?

The plan for them is for the Bobcats to get better. It's hard to believe now, but just a few years ago they were in the playoffs (although they were swept out of the first round by the Magic). After years of being buried in bad contracts they will have an unprecedented amount of cap room for the first time in team history ($20M+ I believe) during this upcoming off season. They just need to hit some home runs with draft picks this year and sign a big man like Al Jefferson who can both rebound and score. It's still a wait and see approach. But they are following an Oklahoma City Thunder model now.  Build through the draft and sign a few key veterans to plug in... It just may take another year or two before we see progress.

• 1 month later...

^Seems like all the stars are aligning for Hornets 2.0. Not 100% sure it will be announced next week, but it certainly seems to be headed in that direction soon. The NBA's deputy commish was here at the end of last season. So not sure if that really means much or not. I know it's not unusual for either him or David Stern to visit teams like that, but to participate in the town hall is definitely an eye opener.

I got great seats to swarm on Saturday night... And like most people who've been attending these events, I think anything short of the name change would only be a slap in the face after these (seemingly deliberate) "teasers" from the bobcats office. I'm not sure they would risk the "goodwill" they could lose by alienating these groups.

• 3 weeks later...

Any new news on the Hornets reboot?

An NBA lawyer slipped up and said the Charlotte Bobcats, soon to be Charlotte Hornets in a recent interview about the NBA ruling that the Kings stay in Sacramento instead of moving to Seattle.

He was mentioning 4 teams that could be potential relocation candidates for Seattle. I don't see Charlotte losing a second team. MJ needs to put a winning product on the floor. Moving a team like the Bobcats to Seattle with the same crap product we've had won't change things for the team at all.

I was seeing someone point out that the Horcats are tied to the arena with a very significant financial penalty if they were to move. Not sure what the bottom line to that claim is.

Good point. I believe they are on the hook for the full arena construction cost if they move within 20 years. It may be prorated, but there is significant financial penalty.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a basketball fan and I think the Bobcats logo and colors are extremely good looking especially compared to the hornets.

That said; I've never attended any Bobcats games except once (free their first preseason game and it was against Miami Heat).

But... I think I, as someone who has zero interest in NBA, would attend a couple games every year because the Hornets are the hometown team and it's fun to go to a game where you root for hometown. The Hornets is such an iconic team for Charlotte. :)

• Like 1

Mainly a nostalgic thing for myself (I turned 37 recently), and may amount to a dull and losing team under a different name, but, for the near future it makes me excited and I will be attending games until this wears off.  Possibly foolish but it feels right so until it doesn't...

It was the only move to make besides a winning product. The team has been atrocious, the worst nba team in the league since its inception. However, this is a home run and one of the few right moves this franchise has made next to hiring Cho. Go Hornets, I'll be waiting to buy some new gear, potentially season tickets.

I'm kinda glad the old name will be back into play.  I knew I didn't give away (or throw away) all my old Hornets clothing!  I agree that it will spark some interest from fans like me that remember "the old days."  However, once the initial wave of nostalgia is over and actual play begins, the win to lose ratio will be the biggest hurdle this team will need to overcome.  Hopefully MJ and his group can put a winning team on the court that will sell out TWC Arena!

One of the best things this rebrand does is give more recognition to the city. It isn't uncommon to see throwback hornets gear in other cities, but the bobcats brand has never been something that people thought was "cool" to represent. Many websites like new era have many options in throwback hornets hats, and only one bobcats option on the 67th page. The marketability for the team is going on roids with this move.