Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Bobcats/Hornets are evaluating on whether or not to bid for the 2017 NBA All-Star game. They recently brought in some league officials for them to tour the city, convention center and TWC Arena to gauge the likelihood of winning a bid (they don't want to bid if they don't  have a chance at landing the game). The All-Star weekend of course features things like the 3 point shooting contest, Slam Dunk competition, celebrity games, etc. It has an estimated $60M - $100M local impact. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds as Charlotte will be a different city in 4 years (BLE completed, Crescent potentially, and other things that I'm sure will be built during that time). 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2013/12/nba-taking-closer-look-at-charlotte.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know all the focus is on the Panthers right now and YES, the East is dismal.  But Kemba hit a buzzer beater in OT last night to beat the lowly Raptors and, don't look now, but our Bobcats are in 6th place 26 games into the season!

What a crazy game last night. I thought for sure when the Bobcats missed 4 straight free throws in OT, then the Raptors got the ball they were toast. Raptors made one of two to tie the game. Then Kemba hit the buzzer beater to win. You could hear a pin drop in Toronto after that. The Cats have lost a few close ones of late that they should have won (e.g. Lakers game) but perhaps they are figuring how to do this... Just like the Panthers did. Would be great to see two playoff teams in this city in the same year.

What a crazy game last night. I thought for sure when the Bobcats missed 4 straight free throws in OT, then the Raptors got the ball they were toast. Raptors made one of two to tie the game. Then Kemba hit the buzzer beater to win. You could hear a pin drop in Toronto after that. The Cats have lost a few close ones of late that they should have won (e.g. Lakers game) but perhaps they are figuring how to do this... Just like the Panthers did. Would be great to see two playoff teams in this city in the same year.

Charlotte, "City of Champions"

The original Hornets logo is only good through rose-colored nostalgia glasses. No matter how much I loved the team, it was an absolute travesty of logo design. This new logo system is excellent, one of the best in pro sports. I'm glad we kept the colors, and just enough elements to recall the original team while giving it the update it really needed. 

Edited by nonillogical
  • Like 2

new logo including cool video animation. I just hope the same community spirit around the team can be duplicated. In those days the Hornets had the highest attendance in the NBA. I miss the days of Larry Johnson, JR Reid, Alonzo Mourning and Muggsy Bouges. They were true local stars. I just dont see that with the Bobcats today.

http://myfox8.com/2013/12/21/bobcats-unveil-new-charlotte-hornets-logo/

Edited by cityboi

I don't know about you all, but I for one think this logo is freaking awesome.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/12/21/4559574/back-to-the-future-nba-asks-for.html#.UrZF72RDsx0

I like the animation video in this article for the logo design as well.  

In truth I like the new logo.  I was a little surprised by some comments on Observer that they should have brought back the old logo which I don't understand at all. 

I like the animation video in this article for the logo design as well.  

In truth I like the new logo.  I was a little surprised by some comments on Observer that they should have brought back the old logo which I don't understand at all. 

Supposedly, using the old Hornets logo is not allowed as per one of the requirements set forth by the league as part of the name change.

I think the new primary logo is awesome, I am not too much of a fan of the secondary logo.

I was at the game for the logo unveiling last night. From the tip off to half time unveiling to the end of the game it was the most energy I've seen in that arena in a long time. Hope that continues with an improved squad and rebrand. I think the new logo is awesome personally. I'm glad they couldn't bring back the legacy one per the agreement with the NBA on terms of renaming. That's living in the past a bit too much IMO.

To echo Wend28, I just want to emphasize how intense the fan involvement was last night.  The atmosphere certainly didn't feel like a Bobcats game, and I attribute that to the excited fans who now feel a connection to the team. The lid about popped off of TWC last night towards the end, and probably would have if any of our shots had fallen in the last minute.  Expect ticket prices to rise over the next couple years if that experience stays.

And love the new logo.  

Yeah I was a fan at first sight but they are growing on me even more. It is in the somewhat typical "aggressive" sports branding contemporary style, but I think it is one of the very best examples of it. Especially that profile view...so good. One of the only pro sports logos I can think of that I might like better is, ironically enough, the Pelicans. Between this and the mostly very nice Knights rebrand, we've got a hell of a nice suite of team logos for the city (Checkers are a standout among minor league sports too imo)!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I smell an #AntiTrustSuit

On a side note. I Was at the game; We lost badly. I was at the Knicks Game; we lost badly. I was at the 49ers Playoff Game; we lost... I'm not allowed to attend games anymore.

Edited by Guest