Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

I think that if the Hornets name comes back, some amount of rebranding is in order even though I think the classic teal and purple color palette should remain. I could see it getting modernized, with a more aggressive and well-designed logo and mascot, OR go minimalist and vintage as some teams, like the Brooklyn Nets (whose brand is hit and miss, I admit) have done. I know any change other than what existed in the 90's will upset a lot of people, but that type and illustration would be horribly outdated in today's world.

Checkers attendence is down by around 20% this year (last year's average was 6500, this year its around 5500). I don't believe this is a schedule (e.g. weekend vs weeknight games) or a performance issue (they are barely leading their division). I wonder if it is a product of better performace by the Bobcats (and the absence of a strike). If there is a strong relationship between the spending on the Bobcats and spending on the Checkers then this might tell us a great deal about the size of the pro sports market in town -- perhaps we are close to saturation? If so then MLB would have been a disaster (I am looking at you Jerry Reese).

Then again, perhaps the Checkers attendence decline is driven by other forces (they averaged over 6,000 two years ago as well). Correlation does not always equal causality.

Edited by kermit

• 1 month later...

On Thursday, the New Orleans Hornets are expected to announce a name change to the Pelicans which will take place for next season. So once that happens, the Bobcats are expected to start looking at whether or not to go through with reverting back to the Hornets name. As a season ticket holder, we're supposed to receive a survey to provide our input per an email I received yesterday. I was on the fence before about it, but I'll be voting to go back to Hornets. To me the name issue seems petty, but I also understand it has a lot of significance to native Charlotteans. Hopefully it serves as a rallying cry around the team. 

We have season tickets as well -- up in the cheap seats.  It was strange on Saturday to see a WHOLE BUNCH of people show up in Purple and Teal and all sorts of Charlotte Hornets gear, including two guys in full Purple Man body suits.  A quick check of the internet confirmed that "bringbackthebuzz" (or somebody) had organized a "Swarm Time Warner" (or something) night, and dozens or perhaps hundreds had joined in.  They were a rowdy bunch, with much chanting of "Charlotte Hornets" with random yells of "We Want Our Name Back!!!".  It was all pretty funny.

I would love to see: 1) The Hornets name back, 2) Consistently cheaper ticket prices in the upper deck, and 3) Concession prices slashed, and 4) Winning.

I didn't watch at all last season, but I can tell you this season they have been very close on numerous occasions.  So many games they've just not executed in the last 2-3 minutes.  Or at other times, like Monday, getting outscored 26-13 in the final quarter to lose by 6.  It certainly looks like they "don't know how to win" as they say.

^Last season was brutal. This year, they are at least competitive in most games and can be fun to watch. But like you said they haven't been able to close out games. That comes with a young team. I think the Cats are one of the youngest in the league. Four of their five starters are either rookies or 2nd year guys (depending on the rotation on a given night). Good news is that they will finally have the cap room after this season to start signing better (and more experienced) players.

I would be more than okay with changing that cartoon mascot. They could keep it as a secondary old school logo to sell stuff for kids and placate the old Hornets fans, but I would prefer a simpler logo that was somehow Charlotte or Carolina themed.

To me, any teal color scheme feels dated. As a Michigan native, it also reminds me of the Pistons' sad anti-glory years when they wore teal jerseys with tacky cartoon horse jerseys. This was after the Bad Boys but before the Ben Wallace/Chauncey Billups/Rip Hamilton/Rasheed Wallace run. Then again, maybe I'm just out-of-touch. Either way, I would take the teal and purple Hornets over the blue and orange Bobcats.

Edited by RugbyPike#11

I used to attend one or two Hornets games a year as a kid and young adult.  When the NBA let the hornets leave I quit going and even quit watching the NBA at home.  I won't do either untill the NBA either birngs back the name, or relenquishes all rights to it back to Charlotte...

The new Bobcats logo is amazing. Much better than the Hornets if not one of the best in the NBA...

However...

As much as I like the bobcats branding 100x more than the Hornets, the hornets are a classic... A team maybe other citizens in other cities would go to the games to watch a match against the Charlotte Hornets. Kinda like we like to watch the Miami Heat Or Lakers.

I wouldn't want to change the logo or colors neither. Unless its a subtle change like the Panthers

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Please don't take much offense to this Cltwhimod and DEnd, but your comments are the biggest argument to leave the name as the Bobcats. Why should Jordan shell out all that money for a name change when people who COULD care just refuse to? 

I used to be on the fence about the name change, and I'm totally on board now. Not because I "remember the good old days," or because "Hornets is a name given to Charlotte" (why does not one else think that the quote was a slap in the face in calling the people of this city trifling?), but because the last two seasons have been so embarrassing for our team that a new roster and name is the only way to clean the slate. 

^ I take it the opposite.  Jordan runs a business.  If changing the name back to Hornets means no effect on those that already go (as in, they'll go regardless), and additionally bring people back that hate the Bobcats name and will only support a Hornets team....why wouldn't he do it??  

$3 million is chump change in the NBA.  We pay Tyrus Thomas more per year than a one time fee for the change.  The name "Charlotte Hornets" is universal and will draw support not only from Metrolina but even some across the country.

The Bobcats are the butt end of any NBA joke.  The only time you hear about the team is when they set another losing streak record or get bashed on Entourage for being useless.  We may get the Hornets name back and stink just as bad, but I honestly believe we will get a pass in the media.  People love nostalgia, especially 90's nostalgia.  The Hornets fit that bill to perfection.  

I want the team TO BE GOOD, more than anything else.  But it doesn't hurt at least to be recognizable, in a positive light.  The Hornets name can give us that.  For $3 million.  People buy Hornets gear constantly, they'd make that back in merchandising very quickly.  

After further consideration, I would bring back the Hornets logo and colors as it was when they left Charlotte. Maximize goodwill from the old Hornets fans, get those fans back in the fold, and then if you want to modernize the logo or adjust the color shading you can do it in 5-7 years. I think if they tried to drastically change the logo or color shading off the bat, they might lose some of those old die-hard Hornets fans.

After further consideration, I would bring back the Hornets logo and colors as it was when they left Charlotte. Maximize goodwill from the old Hornets fans, get those fans back in the fold, and then if you want to modernize the logo or adjust the color shading you can do it in 5-7 years. I think if they tried to drastically change the logo or color shading off the bat, they might lose some of those old die-hard Hornets fans.

I agree that a lot of people would be upset, but if you put this up against ANY other logo in professional sports, its laughable. Look at how they drew that basketball for one thing! As I stated before it can be updated in a respectful manner and still be instantly recognizable as the Hornets. 

3097.gif

Edited by nonillogical

I agree that a lot of people would be upset, but if you put this up against ANY other logo in professional sports, its laughable. Look at how they drew that basketball for one thing! As I stated before it can be updated in a respectful manner and still be instantly recognizable as the Hornets. 

3097.gif

Looks like hes twitching violently.

It's a sticky situation. The power of the name is the retro AND the nostalgia. If you redesign the logo, you lose half of that.

I disagree, but don't want to go off on too big a design rant like I did on the American Airlines logo. People aren't attached to the specifics of this logo, they're attached to the overall impression of it. You could completely redraw it, but if you keep the color scheme (which I am in favor of), keep the orientation, and keep the same general look and pose of the hornet character but render it better, the gestalt is more or less the same. There is a precedent in NBA logos for semi retro, basic designs that would work in favor of something like this, unlike most other sports logos which are usually overtly aggressive and "2.0'd" as I like to say with excessive shading, outlines, and dimension. New Orleans updated the illustration slightly fixing some of the more glaring issues but I think it could be done better. Look at the logos for the Knicks, Pacers, and Pistons for an example of what I'm talking about (and they all know how to draw a basketball). 

I don't think it needs to be done day one, but if we're insecure about our team, we don't want to also have branding that looks more like a high school team and a noticeable step down from the rest of the NBA. 

Please don't take much offense to this Cltwhimod and DEnd, but your comments are the biggest argument to leave the name as the Bobcats. Why should Jordan shell out all that money for a name change when people who COULD care just refuse to? 

I used to be on the fence about the name change, and I'm totally on board now. Not because I "remember the good old days," or because "Hornets is a name given to Charlotte" (why does not one else think that the quote was a slap in the face in calling the people of this city trifling?), but because the last two seasons have been so embarrassing for our team that a new roster and name is the only way to clean the slate. 

Cltwhimod???? Who is that???

I don't know why I would take offense, you are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine.  I do not understand why the quote was a slap in the face to people of the city (assuming you mean the quote by Cornwallis during the Revolutionary war that coined the Hornet's moniker in the first place).  I thought the quote was actually pretty complimentary, as it embodies the spirit of the city I believe.