Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

There was a steady downpour for several hours around Uptown today. I got pretty wet just walking 100' to my car around noon today. It rained like that from probably 10AM-1PM.

Yup. And, we had a pretty good rain the other day too... at least in Huntersville. Anyway, they've really stepped it up and I'm happy to see it. Perhaps I'll be eating a little crow myself ah59396 because I didn't think they would pull off the 8/30 opening. I'll be really happy to be wrong though.

I was driving by the park this morning on my way to work and I didn't see anyone on the site like I normally do. Just an observation, not sure if it means anything.

its early. Maybe they start work late.

I was driving by the park this morning on my way to work and I didn't see anyone on the site like I normally do. Just an observation, not sure if it means anything.

Maybe all the workers were dropping their kids off at school today, since it's the first day and all...

Today was not the first day of school for NC Public Schools. That will be Monday.

Actually, today was the first day in Fort Mill... Regardless, it was meant as a joke since someone felt the need to point out no workers on site first thing in the morning. Thanks for the correction however.

• Like 1

Actually, today was the first day in Fort Mill... Regardless, it was meant as a joke since someone felt the need to point out no workers on site first thing in the morning. Thanks for the correction however.

I didn't mean for it to come across as snotty, so I hope it did not. It was really more or less me just thinking that come Monday, traffic and congestion will change...for the worse. You are correct though, several SC counties and some private/charter schools have started in NC.

• Like 1

It was just an observation as I always drive by that location every single day and every single day I see work being done on the site at the time I drive by there except for that day; as you may have noticed since you read my comment that I followed by saying I doubt it meant anything... 

Edited by saamh
  • Like 1

In the terrible red circle I've created in this picture, there were some swanky looking "Romare Bearden" posts and information plaques up last night.  They are about 10 feet tall and there were 4 of them.  They have information about who Romare Bearden the person was and then a nice map of the park similar to the ones over on the Sugar Creek Greenway.

They look really good.  There was also a groovy light over there that kinda looks like the ones over near the Levine cultural plaza where the Duke building is.

post-26833-0-13692300-1377263581_thumb.p

Edited by ah59396

A couple truck-loads of darker material (soil?) have been dumped on top of the sandy looking stuff.  I also see 2 or 3 guys in business suits inside the fence, and a photographer as well.  There are also 3 bright-colored (green, blue, orange) pillars in the far right corner (the corner cut off above).  I think I'll go down over lunch and see if I can get any ground-level shots worth sharing.

• Like 1

Looks pretty good, but is it just me...or does it seem rather bare (in the beds) in those last 2 pictures?

Its a week from grand opening. I feel like we will see move plantings between now and then. 

All of us Out of Towners greatly appreciate all your great pictures Grodney!

Edited by Guest

:good:  Photographs approved   (I'm pretty sure I'd have have a mutiny if I kept these poor out of town souls from seeing the park nearly finished.)

Looks great, and easily can be completed in a week.  It's a shame I will not be in town labor day weekend, but I can't wait to walk through it when I return.

I think the barren spots of mulch will be for flowers.   That is one of the 'garden' sections in the master plan, so if they didn't have copious flowers, I'd be worried.   The flowers will make the difference from nice suburban office park landscaping to quality urban park.