Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

So the sod is all in as of yesterday... Looking at the webcam, it appears that they are now working on the roof for what will be the restaurant space. Can anyone confirm? Is there other work being done for this spot?

Just a note on the restaurant roof. According to the construction documents and renderings I've seen. There will be a walkway that connects the 2nd floor walkway/standing area along the mint street side to a rooftop deck on top of the restaurant. Should have a cool place to get views of the park from the stadium. I wonder if there will be any other kind of activities up there however, or access from the restaurant itself. 

My understanding was it would be fluid access to that "home run deck" concept they have up there.

You are correct. It looks like they are also building a overhang on top of the roof as well, so maybe there will be some cool stuff up there to do.

Just for a different angle than the web cam:

20131111_092211_zpsbf8f0c1b.jpg

WOW! I never noticed they Added in bleachers in the outfield beside the picnic area. I don't think that was in the original plans. I really think they are going to need all the seats they can get. This puppy is going to be a hot ticket.

Are those beams extending upwards along Mint St (getting closer to 3rd) meant for additional upper deck seating?

This is looking good, and with The Mint and the Woodfield Graham apartments soon to be added to this photo, its going to start looking like some nice mid-level density.  Hopefully the hotel/office building is a real thing to happen here.  Pretty soon, each new project will start to complete urban blocks on both sides of the street, instead of just scattered/disconnected spates of urbanism.

Also, almost completely unrelated, but the Atlanta Braves announced today that they are relocating from downtown Atlanta to Cobb County just over the county line from Atlanta/Fulton Co. 

As much as I thought this prime downtown land had a better use, it makes me sad to see another team flee to the suburbs.  Best of luck Knights, and I hope the Braves regret this decision (BTW, their new 42k seat stadium in the burbs is going to cost $632MM !!! )

I agree it looks small, but its a little deceiving until you see it in person. Also one of the things I really like about this stadium is the amount of other vantages aside from the seats. I can see myself milling around the common areas and checking out the outfield. Even though the capacity is practically the same as the old stadium, I think its going to feel a lot more "active". 

Will The Knights Stadium boost our Tourism numbers up to the same level the DNC pushed us to??

???

I don't think minor league ball has the ability to draw significant numbers of tourists (I would be surprised if any game attracted more than 100 out of towners -- most of those would be in town for something else already).

That said, the Knights will provide one more entertainment option downtown-- this will make Charlotte more attractive as an entertainment destination so it should have a non-negligible effect on tourism.

Impact on Tourism (my perception):

Panthers > HOF > Horncats > Knights

(but the seasonality of Knights games will create an outsized economic impact since downtown is typically quiet in the summer)

Edited by kermit

???

I don't think minor league ball has the ability to draw significant numbers of tourists (I would be surprised if any game attracted more than 100 out of towners -- most of those would be in town for something else already).

That said, the Knights will provide one more entertainment option downtown (and in the slow summer months)-- this will make Charlotte more attractive as an entertainment destination so it should have a non-negligible effect on tourism.

I meant I wonder will the knights stadium (concerts, events & all) draw as many people to uptown in a year as the DNC did.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

^ 70 games per year.

10,000 max capacity

Best case: 700,000 attendees per year (but that is not 700,000 unique visitors)

Knights are promising that this venue is very active outside of Knights Games. Concerts, College baseball, etc.

Today's Marietta Braves announcement makes me glad I live in a city that recognizes the benefits of urbanism (even if it is small by comparison).  ATL Fail.

Me too, but to be fair to Atlanta, they are doing a better job than we are of maintaining a high level of quality and mix of uses in the average new development. That's probably due to a lot of it occurring in urban neighborhoods that are a little more established than ours are and having a higher population density in their inner ring, but I don't think we should use this one example as an excuse to disparage a city whose urban development history is not that different from our own. 

Me too, but to be fair to Atlanta, they are doing a better job than we are of maintaining a high level of quality and mix of uses in the average new development. That's probably due to a lot of it occurring in urban neighborhoods that are a little more established than ours are and having a higher population density in their inner ring, but I don't think we should use this one example as an excuse to disparage a city whose urban development history is not that different from our own. 

By no means is this an ATL bash.  But it is a fail on their part.  And a big one.  And they're more than twice our size.

One thing about out of town visitors is that when they already must come here for other reasons, it is better to have solid options for things to do for culture, entertainment, etc.   If they leave here after a boring week, they will not have a good experience, which often leads to negative word of mouth, and depending on the influence of the visitor could affect corporate decisions that have a big impact.  

When the city made long range plans of amenities that were in the reach/affordability of our community, and in the interest and benefit of both residents and visitors this was always on the list.   So we will have a venue for lower cost/more casual sports entertainment and the other types of shows and events that can be put on in a facility like it.  

Are those beams extending upwards along Mint St (getting closer to 3rd) meant for additional upper deck seating?

I don't see why they couldn't be added at a later date. I would assume they could add upper bowl seating around the stadium maybe 2-3k more seats.

Was just reading an artical on the CO about the new radio deal and at the end of it a couple things of interest to the construction...  seems like they don't know where the stadium is located though

Night lights at the Church Street field are being adjusted this week. Rajkowski said the team got a few complaints because the lights were aimed straight ahead when installed and shined into windows. Crews are now angling them down to the field.

Sod has been planted, though it is under a field blanket because of freezing temperatures this week. Rajkowski said the protective blanket cost $25,000.

“It’s a very expensive yard we’re putting in there,” he said.