Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

Was just reading an artical on the CO about the new radio deal and at the end of it a couple things of interest to the construction...  seems like they don't know where the stadium is located though

Night lights at the Church Street field are being adjusted this week. Rajkowski said the team got a few complaints because the lights were aimed straight ahead when installed and shined into windows. Crews are now angling them down to the field.

Sod has been planted, though it is under a field blanket because of freezing temperatures this week. Rajkowski said the protective blanket cost $25,000.

“It’s a very expensive yard we’re putting in there,” he said.

I walked by yesterday evening and the night before and they have fixed the lights...and the field looks AMAZING lit.  The perspective from the street (4th st) into the sunken field is very cool, it really feels a lot more significant than it looks in pictures.

Was just reading an artical on the CO about the new radio deal and at the end of it a couple things of interest to the construction...  seems like they don't know where the stadium is located though

Night lights at the Church Street field are being adjusted this week. Rajkowski said the team got a few complaints because the lights were aimed straight ahead when installed and shined into windows. Crews are now angling them down to the field.

Sod has been planted, though it is under a field blanket because of freezing temperatures this week. Rajkowski said the protective blanket cost $25,000.

“It’s a very expensive yard we’re putting in there,” he said.

When stadium lights are installed, they have to be aligned and calibrated using light meters on the field.  This ensures that every point on the field is evenly lit.  Before they do this, however, the lights could be aimed almost any which way, resulting in the "condo blinding" that some experienced.

Great photos.

When I ran by earlier, it is clear how the tailgating will be going now that the parking lots are mostly gone.  Lots of street food vendors were out at the park grilling.  I actually prefer small businesses benefitting and serving people picnicking in a park rather than the old model of people grilling out on their own around an automobile.  It feels like we're growing up a bit as a city.

I went and rode my bike around uptown after work. Haven't seen it this crazy since the DNC, and maybe not even then in some respects! It is really great the way the park is being utilized during this, there were inflatables set up for the kids and food vendors all over. Less parking, sure, but a much better vibe than the former tailgating free-for-all. There was tailgating going on as far back as Trade (and from past years I know its going on well into Southend back to Park at least), and crowds walking to the game as far down as Stonewall & McDowell. 

On OMB's instagram, they have a cool shot of the city from behind home plate at BB&T.  Sorry I can't link the photo or the page here.  Maybe someone else can.

post-17104-0-48837900-1385047285_thumb.p

SEE ATTACHED :-)

THIS ONE IS NICE TOO

BZh63aRIEAAs60Q.jpg

Edited by Guest

^ I'll place a bet on how long it takes for the Mint/3rd/4th/Poplar block to go, would add to that particular vantage nicely.  I call closing April '14, construction start October '14.

Better hurry up, I have developed a phobia of all the parking lots around the ballpark and romare bearden. I want the park completely enclosed by buildings.

I sure hope so.  I'd like to see something else start going "up" outside of Childress Kline.

The Knights had a hotel announcement today btw. Just not the hotel we have been pining over. Their "BIGGG ANNNOUNNNCEEEMENT" was a partnership with the double-tree. Hopefully its only for the next season and they will partner with whomever is building a hotel in the outfield.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this show up on Twitter - not sure where the brick buildings in the background are coming from

Ba0HH4WIgAAPy3d.jpg

LOL, that's actually another cities ballpark with the Charlotte Skyline "Plopped" into the background. I don't remember what ballpark it is, perhaps Greensboro? Can't remember.