Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

Regarding the restaurant space, I think it is still coming, because they are only just now beginning to work on pouring concrete for the main entrance steps, the top of which forms the base of that restaurant building. I think the most recent site plan revision would have taken this into account if it had been changed, and that area still needs a barrier to the right side of the entrance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone confirm whether or not they are building the building by the entrance yet?

I looked but I honestly didn't see anything worth noting.  There were a few piles of brick, I never spotted any cinder blocks, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.  If they were there, the workers definitely weren't working on them.

Can anyone verify if the webcam is still working? I checked this the other day when it was raining and it had a picture where it was sunny out. Seems like this hasn't changed in the last several days at least.

http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.page&WebcamPublicPageUID=4ea6ec27-b1f3-4bcc-8a01-32f9e0d49d93

It's a shame the webcam is down.

I was on vacation for most of last month, but now that I'm back and so much of the facade is done, I have had a lot of thoughts as I have gone by.  Of course, I hate seeing faux stucco as it really screams impermanence and cheapness, but I guess it has become the standard issue material.

I love that they kept the height to 2 stories and dug deep for the field.  It really helps it feel far more human scale and attractive from the sidewalk level.   All that early talk of dead space and destruction of the urban fabric are easily seen now to be unfounded, especially compared to the holy mess that was there for the last two decades.

It also turns out to be totally laughable that people used to predict that the stadium would overshadow and reduce the quality of the Bearden Park.  It is clear now that the park in its final location is extremely high quality and feels much more accessible from Tryon Street, and will benefit over time from being next to the BB&T Ballpark, while also having a number of high quality developable parcels.    It also will hopefully help Brevard Court/Latta Arcade grow and improve for supporting nightlife for the new residents in the neighborhood.