Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

On 8/25/2021 at 8:01 PM, CltFlyer said:

I would love to see a team in Charlotte, but I do think Raleigh almost has a better case than us for an MLB team (and likely would have had the better chance for a MLS team if Tepper hadn't willed Charlotte FC to be).  I'm not saying we have no chance,  but there isn't currently a legitimate ownership group advocating for Major League Baseball in Charlotte that I'm aware of.  Raleigh-Durham has a quickly growing population and a smaller supply of professional sports.  (One could argue a lot of that market is taken by College athletics, however)

As Tepper has shown though, if a group with enough money comes in and wants MLB in Charlotte,  we definitely have a case for one.

The level of success (or failure)  of Charlotte FC will likely be an indicator of Charlotte's MLB hopes.  A good location for a MLB stadium would be the BOA site when (not if) Tepper builds  his retractable roof stadium.  

This is a double edge sword as alluded to above, though.  The taxpayers will likely be against another new sports stadium so soon after.  

If Atlanta can support 4 - we should strive to do the same. Charlotte 2030 should be the place to be and critical mass to support it all…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Raleigh/Durham area will always be college town(s) to me and pros in Charlotte. I know hurricanes have had pretty good support lately (Bc of recent success) but historically they’ve been at the bottom of the attendance polls for a long time. It’s easy to support a winning team but the true colors show with how you support during a losing season(s). Even during the god awful bobcat days, we’ve never been dead last in numbers. Obviously, Charlotte would be my number one choice and market wise would prob be many peoples first choice. If not, hell, I’d rather have Winston Salem get it before R/D lol and if I’m not mistaken there was a proposal a veryyy long time ago for MLB in the triad. In the meantime, we need to keep working on making Truist the best minor league stadium in the league whether that’s adding amenities, upgrades, fan experiences, or building in left outfield. In the pie in the sky event were to come to fruition and MLB bats an eye at Charlotte, we’ll have numbers to support our push. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 10:04 PM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Raleigh/Durham area will always be college town(s) to me and pros in Charlotte. I know hurricanes have had pretty good support lately (Bc of recent success) but historically they’ve been at the bottom of the attendance polls for a long time. It’s easy to support a winning team but the true colors show with how you support during a losing season(s). Even during the god awful bobcat days, we’ve never been dead last in numbers. Obviously, Charlotte would be my number one choice and market wise would prob be many peoples first choice. If not, hell, I’d rather have Winston Salem get it before R/D lol and if I’m not mistaken there was a proposal a veryyy long time ago for MLB in the triad. In the meantime, we need to keep working on making Truist the best minor league stadium in the league whether that’s adding amenities, upgrades, fan experiences, or building in left outfield. In the pie in the sky event were to come to fruition and MLB bats an eye at Charlotte, we’ll have numbers to support our push. 

I agree with all of the above stated.  I do think it was a mistake\missed opportunity to think big back when the Stadium was conceived & funded.  Building it with the ability to expand (to 20 or 25k Capacity) may have been advisable.  Does anyone know what that would've cost back then?  I wasn't in Charlotte when this was debated\funded.  Also - Are there any Major & Minor League Teams that currently share the same stadium and how would that impact scheduling?

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

The Knights Field, truist, is on the site of the former Virginia Paper Company. Maybe the origin of the pub name? 

http://landmarkscommission.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Virginia-Paper-Co-Bldg-SR.pdf

Correct

https://charlotte.axios.com/318412/new-two-story-pub-coming-to-charlotte-knights-ballpark-this-summer/

Context: The pub’s name honors the Virginia Paper Company building, which called the site home long before Truist Field was there.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Skyline view improved somehow: (< blue text)

If only we had the Belk River! (And it joined the Brookshire and Independence rivers in First Ward). I’ll bet all the acquaducting would cost less than the Silver Line.

IMG_5736.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
13 hours ago, kermit said:

Never seen more people at the ballpark than tonight for the Checkers.

Edit: Checkers report that it was a sellout and 11,031 attended. Felt like more than that.

image.jpg

So is this why Uptown was red..? If so… more support for all our teams! Big and small. 

• Like 1