Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

The CBJ posted some more elaborate pictures of the stadium: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/slideshow/2014/01/15/latest-progress-on-charlotte-knights-bb-t-ballpark.html

You'll see some more inside the stadium pics that we haven't been seen before. Less than 3 months to go before this bad boy is open. Can't wait!

On picture 12 of 36 it says "The Vue, a nearby condo tower" hahaha glad to see they're informed :good:

On picture 12 of 36 it says "The Vue, a nearby condo tower" hahaha glad to see they're informed :good:

I was wondering about this since they converted to apartments, I'm sure it's been written somewhere.  What happened to the condos that did sell, did any actually close and if so are they still condos or were they bought out in the bankruptcy?

What happened to the condos that did sell, did any actually close and if so are they still condos or were they bought out in the bankruptcy?

Observer has a good run down

The majority of the people of the pre-sold (60% of the building sales with about the majority of the rest unsold ) were able to get out of their contracts thanks to a April, 2011 lawsuit judgement where the VUE could not force people to stay in their contracts (but could keep their deposit).   As for that small number who may have purchased outright?  I'm sure they were able to get some refund when the building went rental.

Edit - Reread the article and one couple even had successfully won their deposit back so my guess is that the VUE had to work out deals with all existing owners (whoever that few number were)

Edited by Urbanity

From everything I am hearing, it sounds like ticket sales are going very well. I honestly don't see it being out of the realm of possibility where they sell out a vast majority of the games. Living uptown, everyone I talk to (who also live uptown, or are in the area) are all very very excited for the stadium. Now it just has to be seen if excitement translates to sales.

From everything I am hearing, it sounds like ticket sales are going very well. I honestly don't see it being out of the realm of possibility where they sell out a vast majority of the games. Living uptown, everyone I talk to (who also live uptown, or are in the area) are all very very excited for the stadium. Now it just has to be seen if excitement translates to sales.

I'm pretty confident it will. I have never been to a game down in Fort Mill, but I will bet I'l go to at least 5 per year going forward. I have several friends who are in the same boat as I am. FWIW - I live in South End.

I'm pretty confident it will. I have never been to a game down in Fort Mill, but I will bet I'l go to at least 5 per year going forward. I have several friends who are in the same boat as I am. FWIW - I live in South End.

Yeah I never went to a game in Fort Mill either, cause well, going that far for a minor league game isn't worth it. It will be a great thing to do on a nice summer night, any day of the week.

Simply having the stadium in a more centralized location is a good thing. It opens the market to the northern part of the metro area as well. While people in South Charlotte and South Carolina would go to Knights games, few, if any, would go from Huntersville/Mooresville/Cornelius/UCity. Throw in the fact that you can now make a night out of it instead of just a ball game and I think you'll see the Knights be one of the leading attendance teams.

• Like 2

Throw in the fact that you can now make a night out of it instead of just a ball game and I think you'll see the Knights be one of the leading attendance teams.

Let's hope so. I personally think a lot of developers are waiting to see the traffic (pedestrian) impact generated by the stadium before new projects are moved forward. I think if we consistently get 8000+ people uptown for these games, it can easily generate interest in new projects from hotels to retail.

Let's hope so. I personally think a lot of developers are waiting to see the traffic (pedestrian) impact generated by the stadium before new projects are moved forward. I think if we consistently get 8000+ people uptown for these games, it can easily generate interest in new projects from hotels to retail.

I'm going to disagree slightly that Center City needs that chicken/egg approach for development - at least in regards to the stadium.  

If we didn't already have the TWC arena with Checkers and concerts, BoA Stadium with Panthers and general Uptown nightlife (particularly with Epicentre), and the cultural campus with new museums that is already attracting the large numbers I could appreciate your assumption a bit more.   I'm not really disagreeing that this won't beget buzz/development so much as quibbling that that developers are actually waiting on the attendance of minor ballpark games.   

Edited by Urbanity

I'm going to disagree slightly that Center City needs that chicken/egg approach for development - at least in regards to the stadium.  

If we didn't already have the TWC arena with Checkers and concerts, BoA Stadium with Panthers and general Uptown nightlife (particularly with Epicentre), and the cultural campus with new museums that is already attracting the large numbers I could appreciate your assumption a bit more.   I'm not really disagreeing that this won't beget buzz/development so much as quibbling that that developers are actually waiting on the attendance of minor ballpark games.   

Eh, hmmm. You mean TWC Arena with Hornets, Checkers and Concerts :)

I agree with your assessment though. Developers aren't waiting to see what attendance is like. They already know that there will be an increase in foot traffic with the under construction/planned apartments and what already exists today. 

• Like 1

Eh, hmmm. You mean TWC Arena with Hornets, Checkers and Concerts :)

I agree with your assessment though. Developers aren't waiting to see what attendance is like. They already know that there will be an increase in foot traffic with the under construction/planned apartments and what already exists today. 

I dont mean that the stadium will be the whole reason. I think it could just be the final push some may need and I mean particularly in that area, not uptown as whole. I am just hoping for parking lot removal sooner rather than later. 

Edited by Jayvee

There's not many parking lots left, really. Along Graham apartments are going up, beside the post office apartments are going up, Behind TradeMark a hotel is planned and obviously the Knights plan to throw up something along the outfield.

300 S. Tryon is the only lot with promise that doesn't seem to have any movement. But I think that's beyond the sphere of BB&T stadium's influence.

There's not many parking lots left, really. Along Graham apartments are going up, beside the post office apartments are going up, Behind TradeMark a hotel is planned and obviously the Knights plan to throw up something along the outfield.

300 S. Tryon is the only lot with promise that doesn't seem to have any movement. But I think that's beyond the sphere of BB&T stadium's influence.

Theres also a homewood suites going up beside the Carillon. 

300 S. Tryon might beyond BB&T Stadium's influence but its certainly not out of Tryon St. and Romare Beardens influence. Not to mention its smack dab between the Cultural Campus and the Bofa Campus and will connect the two sides of downtown seamlessly if done right.

True....well I guess I am just impatient and want to see movement now! :yawn:

I would love to see that lot bordered by Mint, 3rd, 4th and Poplar get developed.

Also, the apartments on graham are streching from 4th to MLK or just to 3rd?

Edited by Jayvee