The Greensboro Triumph Center

cityboi

I don't see a new convention center being built in DT Greensboro as really competing with the Koury Convention Center. That would be overkill. It would need to serve a different niche than the main convention center.

exactly which is why I dont think it will clobber koury

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing Id like to remind everyone, The News & Record stated that FOUR out of town developers were considering big projects downtown. One of those developers are proposing to build that Massive $200 million complex that includes a convention center and high-rise luxury hotel. Another developer is proposing to build a 50-room boutique hotel. So apparently there are two more "unknown projects" proposed by two other out of town developer. It was said that combined these projects could make one Super Mega development. So the question is are the remaining two developers proposing something thats a part of the $200 million complex or are they separate developments which would be built near the complex?

One thing Id like to remind everyone, The News & Record stated that FOUR out of town developers were considering big projects downtown. One of those developers are proposing to build that Massive $200 million complex that includes a convention center and high-rise luxury hotel. Another developer is proposing to build a 50-room boutique hotel. So apparently there are two more "unknown projects" proposed by two other out of town developer. It was said that combined these projects could make one Super Mega development. So the question is are the remaining two developers proposing something thats a part of the $200 million complex or are they separate developments which would be built near the complex?
You are now entering the MATRIX!!! :lol::lol::lol:

As this project gets more and more real, officials are getting more quiet. Gibbs had said this project could change the face and the character of the center-city. I think Gibbs has been told to shut up because as he released info that somewhat decribes the project and more and more people are starting to catch on and figure this thing out. Officials say that the reason for this thing getting more secret is that the developers are getting closer and closer to getting a site(s) for this project.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../-1/NEWSREC0201

According to the News & Record an unidentified developer has land next to the ballpark (the nothern most tract of land above Smith Street) under contract. There was alot of activity on the site thursday, drilling and surveying. Property owners near the site say the developer could be building student housing there but I dont know maybe part of the massive development includes student apartments. I do know the development is suppose to have apartments. It could be other unidentified developers building projects downtown or it could be the one thats building the massive complex. If its the latter, then Greensboro has got this deal! and if thats the case we should here an announcement with all the details really soon!

Its getting quiet because I think they are in the process of buying a site ;)

"The complex — which could include entertainment venues, restaurants, shops, apartments, condos and a hotel and convention center, among other features — boasted a potential price tag of more than $200 million."

ummmmm what other features? :)

Cityboi - I caught that among other features phrase too ! I hope we get some good news this week. A lot of folks are on pins and needles awaiting an announcement. I'm also a bit surprised at how many people on the streets are talking about this. Heck ... my wife has even gotten a little excited about the possibilities !

My birthday is on the 7th (I'll be 29 :) ) It would be nice to hear some good news on my birthday. I think there is more involved in this project then what was mentioned by the press. Everyone is impatient about this and want to find out what all the hype is about. We've been waiting since May 1st, two months ago. Ray Gibbs said back on May 1st the developers will make their move with in 3 months and we should find out the details then. Well the third month is now less than a month away and it appears the developers have already scoped out a site and are in the due diligence process. People who know about this have used some very strong words to describe this project. What could this be that would "change the face and character of downtown"? Ralboi knows enough details about this project to know what it is and he has said this project could potentially make Greensboro a destination area long before Ray Gibbs revealed that the developers want to make this project a "destination for the southeast region" Ralboi even said if they go with the largest scaled up plan he sees Greensboro (Triad) returning to the point when it was the leading metro in the state. He said the project CAN be that big! Ralboi has consistantly been right about everything he has said about this project. Although I think he probablly feels he's said too much ;) so he has stopped talking along with all the other officials who have been talking about this project. Greensboro's Mayor even said "He couldnt even imagine at this point, what such a development would mean for the future of downtown" and that the project "is off the charts" as far as he is concerned. I hope we get multiple towers in this project. 3 or 4 towers would really boost Greensboro's skyline, especially if one of them are 30-stories. One thing to consider is that a MAJOR corporate headqaurters could also be in this project too. Ray Gibbs said more office space is envisioned that origionally planned.

My birthday is on the 7th (I'll be 29 :) ) It would be nice to hear some good news on my birthday. I think there is more involved in this project then what was mentioned by the press. Everyone is impatient about this and want to find out what all the hype is about. We've been waiting since May 1st, two months ago. Ray Gibbs said back on May 1st the developers will make their move with in 3 months and we should find out the details then. Well the third month is now less than a month away and it appears the developers have already scoped out a site and are in the due diligence process. People who know about this have used some very strong words to describe this project. What could this be that would "change the face and character of downtown"? Ralboi knows enough details about this project to know what it is and he has said this project could potentially make Greensboro a destination area long before Ray Gibbs revealed that the developers want to make this project a "destination for the southeast region" Ralboi even said if they go with the largest scaled up plan he sees Greensboro (Triad) returning to the point when it was the leading metro in the state. He said the project CAN be that big! Ralboi has consistantly been right about everything he has said about this project. Although I think he probablly feels he's said too much ;) so he has stopped talking along with all the other officials who have been talking about this project. Greensboro's Mayor even said "He couldnt even imagine at this point, what such a development would mean for the future of downtown" and that the project "is off the charts" as far as he is concerned. I hope we get multiple towers in this project. 3 or 4 towers would really boost Greensboro's skyline, especially if one of them are 30-stories. One thing to consider is that a MAJOR corporate headqaurters could also be in this project too. Ray Gibbs said more office space is envisioned that origionally planned.

What???? This one project will make the Triad the leader in the state????? I guess Bank of America, Wachovia, Nucor, Duke Power, are all going to move their headquarters and be a part of this. Let's get a little more realistic.....mabey a nice hotel, some apartments, and a Hooters.

What???? This one project will make the Triad the leader in the state????? I guess Bank of America, Wachovia, Nucor, Duke Power, are all going to move their headquarters and be a part of this. Let's get a little more realistic.....mabey a nice hotel, some apartments, and a Hooters.

I dont think Ralboi was saying that this project would instantly make the Triad the leading metro. I think he was saying that the project can, not neccissarily will, be that big and that he could see the Triad returning to its position meaning this one project can set the Triad on a course to get to that point. I think thats what Ralboi meant. The project could really change the course of direction for the city. He said the media doesnt know all the details to this so im sure there is more thats missing from the story and some elements in this that none of us are aware of yet. I think its a bit more than a nice hotel, apartments and a Hooters ;)

I dont think Ralboi was saying that this project would instantly make the Triad the leading metro. I think he was saying that the project can, not neccissarily will, be that big and that he could see the Triad returning to its position meaning this one project can set the Triad on a course to get to that point. I think thats what Ralboi meant. The project could really change the course of direction for the city. He said the media doesnt know all the details to this so im sure there is more thats missing from the story and some elements in this that none of us are aware of yet. I think its a bit more than a nice hotel, apartments and a Hooters ;)

cityboi - the reason that Ralboi stopping posting about this is because he realizes that even he is speculating about the project, and doesn't want to mislead anyone. Let's face it, if he "trully" was in the know about this, he would not be on a blog giving out details, any details or even hinting about it. He has probably heard something from someone who heard something from someone who works for the city that has overheard that a project is in the works, and has started a rumor to make people "think" that he/she knows more than they actually does. It happens all of the time.

As we have seen in a number of cases, the potential for this project has been exaggerated way beyond what is trully realistic.

cityboi - the reason that Ralboi stopping posting about this is because he realizes that even he is speculating about the project, and doesn't want to mislead anyone. Let's face it, if he "trully" was in the know about this, he would not be on a blog giving out details, any details or even hinting about it. He has probably heard something from someone who heard something from someone who works for the city that has overheard that a project is in the works, and has started a rumor to make people "think" that he/she knows more than they actually does. It happens all of the time.

As we have seen in a number of cases, the potential for this project has been exaggerated way beyond what is trully realistic.

I dont think so...his source seems to be involved some kind of way so it not a he said she overheard kinda thing. The main reason why he doesnt want to reveal too much is because he promised his friend thats involved in this and doesnt want to get him in trouble.....thats a big reason why he stopped talking....and its probablly best if he does stop anyway because revealing too many details before the developers are ready could put the project in jeopordy. Ralboi said he didnt know everything...but he seems to know enough to know what this actually is. So when he describes this project I believe him. he has been right about everything up until this point and he has given me no reason not to believe him. Some people thought he was crazy when he said this project could turn Greensboro into a serious destination area. A month later we find out that indeed this is what the developers are trying to do. Thats just one example of Ralboi being right. He's not speculating like us, He has inside information.

Ralboi even said if they go with the largest scaled up plan he sees Greensboro (Triad) returning to the point when it was the leading metro in the state. He said the project CAN be that big!

Pardon me, not to be obtuse, but I've lived in NC on and off for the last 20 yrs. When has the Triad EVER been th leading metro in the state? To me (and in the minds of most I know), it's always been 3rd in line behind charlotte and the triangle in terms of development, population, rate of growth, etc.

Pardon me, not to be obtuse, but I've lived in NC on and off for the last 20 yrs. When has the Triad EVER been th leading metro in the state? To me (and in the minds of most I know), it's always been 3rd in line behind charlotte and the triangle in terms of development, population, rate of growth, etc.

im talking back in the 1940s to the 60s when the Triad was indeed the economic engine of the state, as the ole timers would say, back in the good ole days. This was long before RTP was even an idea and long before Charlotte became a major financial center. Textiles, tobbaco and Furniture dominated the scene in North Carolina and throughout southern states. At one time Winston-Salem was the state's largest city.

The Triad was the dominate region in the early to mid Twentieth Century in the state. Around the '50's and '60's was when RTP began to take off and when IBM located operations there. Charlotte began to grow in the late 60's and hasn't looked back since. As for this super secret project, it's going to take some hell of an attraction along with shops and the like to make this a "major Southeast destination." Any word on when final plans will be revealed?

The Triad was the dominate region in the early to mid Twentieth Century in the state. Around the '50's and '60's was when RTP began to take off and when IBM located operations there. Charlotte began to grow in the late 60's and hasn't looked back since. As for this super secret project, it's going to take some hell of an attraction along with shops and the like to make this a "major Southeast destination." Any word on when final plans will be revealed?

it seems like we should hear something soon because things are getting more quiet due to possible land deals. Ray Gibbs did say 2 to 3 months and we are over two months now. I agree with you DaAchiever. It will take a hell of an attraction to make this a "Southeast Destination" I think at the very least its going to take some of those big name "major league" type entertainment/restaurant chains that I mentioned before, the ones that some think is a ludicrous notion of them ever coming to Greensboro. I do know that more local based establishments such as Natty Greenes and the N Club isnt going to do it, so what other choices does that leave? A big question I do have is why is the hotel in the project a "luxury" hotel instead of just a standard hotel such as the Marriott? And whats even more odd is that its downtown. There is probablly a connection between that and the entertainment venues that are to be a part of this proposal. If you can afford to stay at a luxury hotel, you can afford to spend a hell of a good time at some "upscale" entertainment and restaurant establishments.

do you know for sure, the reasoning why they decided to stop giving out info or are you just assuming? your theory is a strong possibilty, but lets keep all possibilities in mind. maybe Ray is talking too much? or maybe its still too early to keep giving out their plans for this project?

do you know for sure, the reasoning why they decided to stop giving out info or are you just assuming? your theory is a strong possibilty, but lets keep all possibilities in mind. maybe Ray is talking too much? or maybe its still too early to keep giving out their plans for this project?

It could be a little bit of both.

What if part of the plans include placing a national professional sports team here maybe a baseball team...the state of NC doesn't have one yet.

Hmmmm....Let's see...I guess First Horizon Park will get torn down since it is no longer needed, then a major league baseball team will relocate and construct a major league baseball stadium. Then a huge convention center, along with a House of Blues and other touristy crap will be built. Let' s not forget a major coporate headquarters...Oh I forgot about the 12 star luxury hotel with a nigara falls water feature. Did I leave anything out???

This thread is quickly becoming irrelevant...

Hmmmm....Let's see...I guess First Horizon Park will get torn down since it is no longer needed, then a major league baseball team will relocate and construct a major league baseball stadium. Then a huge convention center, along with a House of Blues and other touristy crap will be built. Let' s not forget a major coporate headquarters...Oh I forgot about the 12 star luxury hotel with a nigara falls water feature. Did I leave anything out???

This thread is quickly becoming irrelevant...

No one knows exactly what it's going to be except for those that are working with the developers therefore this thread has always been speculation. I think all the suggestions simply get our minds turning. There's nothing wrong with throwing out possibilities---just my opinion.

plus I seriously doubt MLB is in expansion mode. and yes first horizon would have to be torn down. it couldnt be NBA because one, the state cant support 2 teams right now and two, the current coliseum would be used if a team did decide to come here . definitely not NFL. NHL is struggling and has a team 1.5 hours away. MLS is failing. also with everything thats been said, im pretty sure there would have been mention of a sports venue by now.

$200 million would be the price tag of a professional sports stadium itself, and thats a very modest one. Nationals Stadium is $535 million and Yankee Stadium is $1.2 billion. i wouldnt speculate anything of this magnitude, along with a highrise, residential, convention space, retail and entertainment unless the pricetag was AT LEAST $1 billion.

Archived