The Greensboro Triumph Center

cityboi

Yes but Greensboro adopted a plan in the late 60's/early 70's to grow at all means possible. That is why you have the struggling High Point Road corridor along with other failed retail streets. I know other southern cities have the same issue but from an outsider's perspective it looks like Greensboro has a bigger problem with it.

Do you want to know what I think "overhyped" is? Well to start off 1) calling this the biggest project in the Southeast, 2)l largest project ever in NC, 3) take Greensboro back to its glory days and become the ultimate city in the state, 4) speculating about possible tenants but then reporting it as fact, 5) because of this development downtown will get things 10-20 years sooner, 6) major retail, 7) super luxury hotel, 8) bigger than Peabody Place and EpiCenter, 9) everyone's jaws will drop, 10) L.A. of the East Coast, etc. That's what I think overhyped is.

I agree with you, I should wait and see what the final project is but this unrealistic specualtion is fun but it gets kind of boring and irratating sometimes.

1) I dont think anyone here said this would be the biggest project in the southeast. I know I didnt say this so Im not sure where you got that from. It was said the project would be "A" Southeast regional destination.

2) largest project EVER in NC? dont know about that.

3) someone said this project could put Greensboro on the course of become the lead metro. This project wouldnt single handedly do it but there are a number of economic factors not related to this project that would contribute to that. I dont think Greensboro would become the lead city but the Triad certainly can become the lead metro if the region plays its cards right.

4) I dont think anyone reported possible tenants (Hard Rock Cafe, House of Blues, ect...) as FACT. True thats nothing but pure specualtion but the project has a good chance of having something along those lines, not saying that it will.

5) I do believe that this project would help things happen downtown years ahead of its time. I dont think thats overhype at all.

6) Its not impossible that we could see major retail chains here it just depends on the nature of the project.

7) no body said Super Duper Luxury hotel. No one said this would be a Four Seasons Hotel or a Ritz Carlton. All I said was Luxury hotel. and yea 300 to 600 rooms is a big hotel.

8) a source did say this project could be bigger than Peabody Place and EpiCenter combined. That may not happen at all but it was said by a source in the know that the project COULD be that large. And who says it can't?

9) everyones jaw will drop.....im sure it would because this project, what ever it is a big deal for Greensboro in any case, whether it has House of Blues/Hard Rock chains or not.

10) LA of the east coast was not said in reference to this project at all. Joey Mediloni, Greensboro club owner said that about downtown Greensboro which I believe to be rediculous as well.

So you see. I cant see where anything was over hyped.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cityboi. How many of these projects are being built downtown? NONE. HondaJet is going to be by the airport, FedEx - South Elm/Eugene, Procter & Gamble - who knows, etc. This project is great but when I hear about new headquarter projects coming to GSO and none of them is being put downtown, I almost want to say 'what's the point.' I hope this project goes through but the currents projects should be downtown not by GSO surburbia.

Why in the world would HondaJet or FedEx build downtown? Out by the airport is exactly where they need to be. Not everything needs to be downtown.

Otherwise, I echo suburban george here. Everybody needs to take a breather here.

Can we all 'cool-down' a bit on this thread?? It is becoming just a bit 'heated' in here as of late! It's hot enough outside folks!

I do think some people don't need to be 'baby-sitting' this thread to rebuke/reply to EVERY post made....

Just IMO... :whistling:

You're right, I'm sorry cityboi for my intense comments.

I just realized something. The secret project could include something like Soleil Center in Raleigh where the hotel and condos are in the same building. and Maybe the hotel could be a Westin since a "Luxury" hotel is a part of this. The developers said they had looked at Charlotte and Raleigh for this project but discovered somewhat similar projects going up in those cities. The only diffrence is that the project in Greensboro would include a convention center, shopping, major entertainment venues and office. If the residential and hotel are in the same building, we could see something well above 30-stories.......but im just specualting here.

You could be on to something, here's my take on it:

If it is what you think it is it will be no less than 20 stories and no greater than 35. The possible hotel brands I predict that could survive and prosper in the downtown Greensboro market are: Crowne Plaza, Hilton, Hyatt Place, Renaissance, (though very unlikely on this one) and Westin.

Does anyone know what the occupancy rate of hotel rooms are in the Greensboro market is?

You could be on to something, here's my take on it:

If it is what you think it is it will be no less than 20 stories and no greater than 35. The possible hotel brands I predict that could survive and prosper in the downtown Greensboro market are: Crowne Plaza, Hilton, Hyatt Place, Renaissance, (though very unlikely on this one) and Westin.

Does anyone know what the occupancy rate of hotel rooms are in the Greensboro market is?

Wyndham is also a possibilty for the downtown hotel, since they sponsor Greensboro's PGA event. The hotel chain was asked if they would consider building a hotel in Greensboro and the chain said "it wasnt out of the question" so there is a possibilty, whether they build downtown is another question. Currently Wyndham has one hotel in NC and its in the Triangle.

That could also be a good possibility though you don't hear about them too often nowadays in the hotel industry for some reason.

true, but they are definately an upscale luxury brand and maybe they are trying to make themselves better known since they are sponsoring Greensboro's PGA event. Greensboro's PGA event is one of the oldest PGA tours in the country and is the last stop on the FEDEX point system making it a premier event for golf. The new date and sponsor may even attract Tiger Woods. It was said the reason Tiger never came to Greensboro was because he has a contract with Buick and at the time Chrylser was sponsoring Greensboro's tournament. Anyway Wyndham will get plently of advertisement from Greensboro's event.

I think it is very unwise for the developers to include a large amount of office space in the development unless they have an anchor tenant already signed and lined up. I drove by the PTI area today and there is tons of unleased office space.

roningreensboro....I do think something is on the way :) and I wish people would realize the magnitude of this project if it happens which seems like its going too. Why do they have a hard time believing Greensboro could really land something huge for the city and area? I understand being skeptical but but I dont get the downright disbelief in the possibilities here. BTW im typing this in center-city park using the free WIFI on my new acer laptop :)

I think it is very unwise for the developers to include a large amount of office space in the development unless they have an anchor tenant already signed and lined up. I drove by the PTI area today and there is tons of unleased office space.

maybe provided that this thing happens, the developers may have tenant(s) lined up. There is a reason office space is being proposed in this project.

Hint #1. I have meet and talked with someone in the hotel enterpunuer (I may haves spelt that wrong) buisness. He gave a pretty strong impression that this project is "probably" Greensboro's.

what's hint #2? ;)

BTW here is the full Business Journal article from June where Ray Gibbs describes this project. his statements pretty much proves this is a huge deal here. I think the details are whats going to shock us.

"The concept of such all-in-one TOURIST/convention destinations -- a kind of theme park without roller coasters or water slides -- is an idea whose time is arriving, Gibbs insists."

"The investors know, Gibbs says, that several million people live within a two-hour drive of Greensboro. It's a prime central location, they believe, made more appealing by a revitalizing downtown scene"

"And the entertainment venues will be pretty significant. You're looking at things that would bring in national acts and appeal to people of all ages"

Gibbs says "If it can be accomplished, a project like this could truly change the dynamics of Greensboro. It will show that we can compete on a national scale"

http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...4/tidbits1.html

roningreensboro....I do think something is on the way :) and I wish people would realize the magnitude of this project if it happens which seems like its going too. Why do they have a hard time believing Greensboro could really land something huge for the city and area? I understand being skeptical but but I dont get the downright disbelief in the possibilities here. BTW im typing this in center-city park using the free WIFI on my new acer laptop :)

Cityboi I was once one of those people who believed GSO could not live up to its name. Then I started to think about the towers that we do have. 1910's, Jefferson Pilot 1920's Guilford building. Years in between, moore buildings like the old post office, etc. 1990's, new part of Jefferson Pilot, Wachovia Tower, RBC tower, old Wachovia tower ( now Center Pointe). Those growth spirts that have put GSO where it is now and another one is about to happen. Just think 2007 or 2008, another growth spirt that could put us on the map and give us an image. Which leads me to, guess what?

Four Seasons, Marriot, Coliseum. Convention Centers, rather anchors of the future. :yahoo:

When you say Four Seasons are saying that an urban mall may be a part of this too? I know that shopping venues are suppose to be a part of this. also what does a coliseum have to do with the downtown project? ;) unless you mean that the development will have some sort of a major concert hall venue.

anchors of the future?

I also take it you have been told what this is ;)

Cityboi I was once one of those people who believed GSO could not live up to its name. Then I started to think about the towers that we do have. 1910's, Jefferson Pilot 1920's Guilford building. Years in between, moore buildings like the old post office, etc. 1990's, new part of Jefferson Pilot, Wachovia Tower, RBC tower, old Wachovia tower ( now Center Pointe). Those growth spirts that have put GSO where it is now and another one is about to happen. Just think 2007 or 2008, another growth spirt that could put us on the map and give us an image. Which leads me to, guess what?

I agree. combine everything thats happening with downtown with FedEx, Honda Jet, Gateway University Research Park, ect and I know there are great things ahead for Greensboro.

BTW whats hint number 3? ;)

When you say Four Seasons are saying that an urban mall may be a part of this too? I know that shopping venues are suppose to be a part of this. also what does a coliseum have to do with the downtown project? ;) unless you mean that the development will have some sort of a major concert hall venue.

anchors of the future?

I also take it you have been told what this is ;)

Im sorry, I always relate Four Seasons to the Koury Convention Center. So Four Seasons = Koury Convention. The Coliseum is not only a Entertainment venue but also a center for Conventions too. So ....

From what I was told, Greensboro is offering what the Flordia base company wants. We have the land space and willingness to make this project happen. Now, its "the anchors of the future" that basically has "anchored" this deal for us even though it hasn't gone public. So, is there still a chance this could not go through, Yes. Is it possible that it won't fall through, No, but from the reaction of this source - this is more than likely ours.

From what I was told, Greensboro is offering what the Flordia base company wants. We have the land space and willingness to make this project happen. Now, its "the anchors of the future" that basically has "anchored" this deal for us even though it hasn't gone public. So, is there still a chance this could not go through, Yes. Is it possible that it won't fall through, No, but from the reaction of this source - this is more than likely ours.

very nice! All this sounds really BIG TIME!! I can smell it in the air! Its almost time to break out the champaign glasses, but not quite yet. It sounds like we will be hearing all the details within the next two weeks if this deal is as far as you say. Two weeks from now will be the 3 month mark. May 1st Ray Gibbs said it would take about two to three months (90 days).

It would be nice if there were a streetcar line connecting the Koury Convention Center with the Coliseum with the downtown convention center, something that ties all three of those convention venues together as one big "convention package".

very nice! All this sounds really BIG TIME!! I can smell it in the air! Its almost time to break out the champaign glasses, but not quite yet.

Speculation... speculation... don't let the cart get to far ahead of the horse!!!

Don't get me wrong, I want this to happen for Greensboro and the Triad, but I haven't seen anything concrete to induce my to buy a case of Moet.

Archived