The Greensboro Triumph Center

cityboi

Cityboi - do you remember the philanthropist that Greensboro hosted last summer? I don't remember his name, but I do remember that he was a veeery wealthy overseas investor who spent a lot of time downtown. He spent 2-3 days here and seemed quite interested in investing some of his cash in our inner city. I'm surprised that noone has mentioned his visit here or the fact that he showed serious interest in helping with our downtown revitalization. I can't help but wonder if he could be one of the players behind this project . Some things make you go huuuuum !!! Also, ... we might be in for a surprised at the exact location (s) when this project is announced !

He was not an overseas investor, hell he was in my English class at UNC. He works for an investment company, he does not have deep pockets. He is trying to start a fund with people that do have deep pockets. He has absoutly nothing to do with this. In fact, I will be surprised after this company does due diligence that this project proceeds. Not trying to be negative, but I work for a real estate developer and I have no idea how they can make the numbers that have been talked about on this forum work. Remember, it must turn a profit!!

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was not an overseas investor, hell he was in my English class at UNC. He works for an investment company, he does not have deep pockets. He is trying to start a fund with people that do have deep pockets. He has absoutly nothing to do with this. In fact, I will be surprised after this company does due diligence that this project proceeds. Not trying to be negative, but I work for a real estate developer and I have no idea how they can make the numbers that have been talked about on this forum work. Remember, it must turn a profit!!

I too, agree that the numbers just don't add up. I myself am a real estate owner and investor though nowhere near the level of the big boys ! $200 million can do a lot of things, but I can't see all of this happening under those numbers. The price of a 3-600 room luxury hotel and convention center alone would put a big dent in that. I anticipate the cost of this project rising substantially considering what has been revealed about it so far .

thats if it doesnt go up in price even further. But I do think we should reserve our judgement until we find out exactly what the project is and who is behind it. Ive actually looked around a found entertainment developments in other cities with just about as much stuff proposed for this development at $175 million. I agree that we may not nccessarily get every thing. For example When Ray Gibbs talked about the IMAX theater, he said it was neither in or out because things are really still conceptual even though there is somewhat of a basic plan in place. We do know the developers want this to be a very big destination attracting people at least a 2 hours drive away from Greensboro but they said their goal is to make it a southeast destination. We should know something by the end of next month, maybe sooner.

I THINK I know the company behind this according to a "reliable source" Its not Disney but its a great candidate for the project and the person that said the company name said they were told by a pretty good source. But im not going to say the name here ;) Im also aware of the projects this company has done. But I guess I'll have to wait and see if this peson was right. I will say this company has High qaulity developments. The company often builds their projects in phases so if this is the company which I believe it is, we may or may not see all thats proposed in this built at the same time. But all the company's projects seem to be upscale. Some one said this would be sold to the city as an intriguing, and amazing landmark which will bring sex appeal to the Greensboro. This person released a few amazing details (which could also include some significant water features bigger than the fountains at center-city park ;)) but I cant confirm these details. The source of this info is probabally someone high up in city government because when I ask the person that said all this, declined to say if the source was from city leadership.

Did this person give any info as to the possible height of the tower(s) or a likely location of the complex ?

nope. I dont think that person knew too many details. I dont think they would have a set height now until they select the property. That would be the determinng factor for how tall any buildings are.

How many times 'removed' from the source is all this information?? I WANT CONCRETE INFO ON PAPER!!!

I agree. I want to know all the facts too :) This person said he/she was 99% sure he/she was told the correct company behind this project based on what seems to be a significant source. I investigated the company and its projects and found that what is being proposed for Greensboro fits the kind of developments this company does and its based in Orlando, Florida. They have great architectural developments and are very high qaulity. There is also a good chance that this development could have an exclusive restaurant like the Hard Rock.

According to the News & Record an unidentified developer has land next to the ballpark (the nothern most tract of land above Smith Street) under contract. There was alot of activity on the site thursday, drilling and surveying. Property owners near the site say the developer could be building student housing there but I dont know maybe part of the massive development includes student apartments. I do know the development is suppose to have apartments. It could be other unidentified developers building projects downtown or it could be the one thats building the massive complex. If its the latter, then Greensboro has got this deal! and if thats the case we should here an announcement with all the details really soon!

I THINK I know the company behind this according to a "reliable source" Its not Disney but its a great candidate for the project and the person that said the company name said they were told by a pretty good source. But im not going to say the name here ;) Im also aware of the projects this company has done. But I guess I'll have to wait and see if this peson was right. I will say this company has High qaulity developments. The company often builds their projects in phases so if this is the company which I believe it is, we may or may not see all thats proposed in this built at the same time. But all the company's projects seem to be upscale. Some one said this would be sold to the city as an intriguing, and amazing landmark which will bring sex appeal to the Greensboro. This person released a few amazing details (which could also include some significant water features bigger than the fountains at center-city park ;) ) but I cant confirm these details. The source of this info is probabally someone high up in city government because when I ask the person that said all this, declined to say if the source was from city leadership.

Yep ... he/she could could be right. We might very well have a winner here. I'll reserve judgement until more plays out. It does seem to be a solid company. Although I was hoping for a Disney/Universal development, this could prove to be very nice indeed (depending on their committment). People usually don't spend that kind of dough on feasibility studies unless you're pretty serious about what you want to do. Also ... the influx of outside international investors and the interest from additional developers could make it all happen sooner as opposed to being built in "phases". I hope we hear something concrete very soon ...

Yep ... he/she could could be right. We might very well have a winner here. I'll reserve judgement until more plays out. It does seem to be a solid company. Although I was hoping for a Disney/Universal development, this could prove to be very nice indeed (depending on their committment). People usually don't spend that kind of dough on feasibility studies unless you're pretty serious about what you want to do. Also ... the influx of outside international investors and the interest from additional developers could make it all happen sooner as opposed to being built in "phases". I hope we hear something concrete very soon ...

I will say that the company has done some big developments in major cities and other destination areas and they are amazing developments but based on whats being proposed for Greensboro, this project could be their crown jewel.

I will say that the company has done some big developments in major cities and other destination areas and they are amazing developments but based on whats being proposed for Greensboro, this project could be their crown jewel.

You've got that right ...! One of their projects which sits on 1-1/2 acres just blew me away ! I admit that I was skeptical as to what could be done on the proposed sites, but not anymore. My recent research of nationwide developments has now led me to understand what can be acheived with the budget mentioned ... "A LOT"! It is indeed possible (if not probable) that this project can far exceed even MY wildest visions ! Our mayor must have seen conceptual drawings of what is being proposed to prompt him to use the term "truly breathtaking"...

Pics of an all in one development in Albany, New York . Not exactly "sexy" or what I'd call "breathtaking", but an example of what can be developed in the $200 million range ... very nice.

http://www.twgroup.net/mortar.html

The project in the link you posted just proves that you can do alot of big things in the $200 million range. It doesnt have to be half a billion to a billion dollars to be a development that will have a great impact in the state. But we can certainly expect something of the scale in that development.

It would be nice if this development had a Hard Rock Cafe and maybe a Cheesecake Factory and Rock Bottom Restaurant. Downtown Greensboro already has a BOOMING nightlife just imagine what a project like this do for downtown.

I went downtown a little later than I normally do this past Friday and it seems like the later it gets, the more people show up. It was around 11 pm and downtown was PACKED with people. Cafe seating all along Elm Street were filled. I could see alot of people in Triad Stage through the window. All the people walking and car traffic at a stand still on Elm Street. There were at least 50 people in Center-City Park. I was just blown away with all the people downtown, its like Greensboro is a major city. My aunt lived in the Philadelphia area and she has moved to Greensboro. She said she was stunned by all the nightlife activity downtown. Its the first time Ive seen that many people downtown a night because I normally dont go through there that late. This downtown development could easliy more than double the amount of people that come downtown at night.

It would be nice if this development had a Hard Rock Cafe and maybe a Cheesecake Factory and Rock Bottom Restaurant. Downtown Greensboro already has a BOOMING nightlife just imagine what a project like this do for downtown.

I went downtown a little later than I normally do this past Friday and it seems like the later it gets, the more people show up. It was around 11 pm and downtown was PACKED with people. Cafe seating all along Elm Street were filled. I could see alot of people in Triad Stage through the window. All the people walking and car traffic at a stand still on Elm Street. There were at least 50 people in Center-City Park. I was just blown away with all the people downtown, its like Greensboro is a major city. My aunt lived in the Philadelphia area and she has moved to Greensboro. She said she was stunned by all the nightlife activity downtown. Its the first time Ive seen that many people downtown a night because I normally dont go through there that late. This downtown development could easliy more than double the amount of people that come downtown at night.

Don't forget that the Eastern Music Festival is going on. That brings in a lot of people to the downtown Fringe concerts.

No but you are on the right track. One source said the development company behind the project which is to have a convention center would clobber Koury's convention center. So some people are saying that Greensboro having two major convention centers is a plus while others say the new convention center will kill all the competition. I believe that Greensboro having two large convention centers, three if you count the coliseum complex, is a huge plus and puts the city at an advantage over other major NC cities. Greensboro would be the only city in the Carolinas to have two convention centers and both privately built and operated which is also rare as most convention centers are publically financed. I think in the future Greensboro will clearly claim its position as the convention destination of the Carolinas.

One would really have to "bring it" to clobber Koury's convention center. It would take a really nice and really big facility with extraordinay amenities to pull it off.

true...but remember the downtown convention center would have significant entertainment venues in the complex, some attracting major national acts and events. Also it would have a more luxurious hotel. Restaurants would be within walking distance whereas with Koury you have to get in your car an drive up and down High Point Rd to get to a good selection of restaurants. Koury would have a shopping advantage because while the new convention center complex would have shopping, it wouldnt be to the extent of Four Seasons Town Centre. Convention planners first look for location, then facilities, finally convention planners look at attractions near the convention center to entertain convention goers during their down times. The Koury Convention Center has tried to do that because there are two or three restaruants in the hotel plus a nightclub called Club Fifth Season, but Koury could not compete with the the cultural, nightlife and entertainment options of downtown. However I dont think the new facilty would clobber Koury. It would just mean the city could host more conventions at one time. But it will be interesting to see how big the downtown convention center would be. Would it be something like 250,000 square feet like the Koury Convention Center or something as big as the Charlotte Convention Center at 500,000 sqaure feet or maybe something in between the two.

No but you are on the right track. One source said the development company behind the project which is to have a convention center would clobber Koury's convention center. So some people are saying that Greensboro having two major convention centers is a plus while others say the new convention center will kill all the competition. I believe that Greensboro having two large convention centers, three if you count the coliseum complex, is a huge plus and puts the city at an advantage over other major NC cities. Greensboro would be the only city in the Carolinas to have two convention centers and both privately built and operated which is also rare as most convention centers are publically financed. I think in the future Greensboro will clearly claim its position as the convention destination of the Carolinas.

How about Unicorp? I'm not sure they have developed convention centers, but retail mixed used is their specialty. Deep pockets, and based in Orlando. They are currenty involved in a project in Richmond.

Greensboro would be the only city in the Carolinas to have two convention centers and both privately built and operated which is also rare as most convention centers are publically financed. I think in the future Greensboro will clearly claim its position as the convention destination of the Carolinas.

Actually, another convention center has been proposed for Columbia, this one privately financed (the one downtown was publicly financed). Also, I'm not sure of the numbers, but I believe that Myrtle Beach probably holds the title of convention destination of the Carolinas for obvious reasons. I don't see a new convention center being built in DT Greensboro as really competing with the Koury Convention Center. That would be overkill. It would need to serve a different niche than the main convention center.

Archived