The Greensboro Triumph Center

cityboi

once again you are forgetting that the size and scope of this project is far bigger than what Billy Prim has planned. Billy Prim certainly doesnt have a 600 room luxury hotel, convention center, IMAX and MAJOR 2,000 seat entertainment venues that attracts big time national acts and other tourist attractions in his plan. The cost of the project has nothing to do with what kind of impact it will have on the region. But the estimates are above $200 million now just to let you know. Something thats $75 million can actually be more significant than something that $125 million. There is no arguement about how big this potential development is. There are statements in the media that proves this and its no longer speculation. We know its a very significant development and we also know what DGI president Ray Gibbs said about this project, which I mentioned about 6 posts ago.

According to the latest article that i've seen, Ray Gibbs is reported as saying...

The latest investment projections for a proposed, as yet unidentified, megaproject downtown could now top $200 million.

"That

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the latest article that i've seen, Ray Gibbs is reported as saying...

The latest investment projections for a proposed, as yet unidentified, megaproject downtown could now top $200 million.

"Thats around the limit to where (the developers) want to go," said Ray Gibbs, who stepped down Friday as president of Downtown Greensboro Inc. "I dont think it would (go up)."

Top does not mean that it will significantly exceed $200M.

The article also says...

The luxury hotel could have between 300 and 600 rooms.

That does not mean that it is guaranteed to have 600 rooms.

So I think that until an official announcement has been made, everything is speculation on everyone's part who is not directly involved in this project proposal.

I used the large figures to demonstrate what kind of development we are dealing with here. Of course every detail isnt written in stone. However if this thing is built at $200 million than the higher numbers are probabally acurate. Im just trying to prove a point because some people here are trying their best to belittle this project to nothing more than a local attraction with some resturants and nightclubs.

Also Ray Gibbs say "he doesnt THINK it would go up" Thats not quite the same as saying IT WONT go up. BTW No one thought it was going above $150 million

;)

EatCrow.jpg

I think you're reading a bit too much into what people are saying.

I don't think anybody is belittling this project, they are just being realistic about it. ;)

so they think the project wont happen? because either this mega development happens or it doesnt happen at all. Define what realistic means in regards to this project.

No, it's just when the paper says it will top $200 million and include nightclubs, entertainment, residential, retail, convention center, themepark, etc, they don't automatically assume that it will be "the largest mixed use development in NC" and the "LA of the East Coast." I know you didn't say some of those things but this seems a bit too extravagant for any city (and no we're not hating on Greensboro).

No, it's just when the paper says it will top $200 million and include nightclubs, entertainment, residential, retail, convention center, themepark, etc, they don't automatically assume that it will be "the largest mixed use development in NC" and the "LA of the East Coast." I know you didn't say some of those things but this seems a bit too extravagant for any city (and no we're not hating on Greensboro).

I didnt say Greensoro would be the LA of the east coast. I agree that statement takes it too far. Secondly just because someone made a comment like that doesnt mean the project wont be as big as it is being projected in the media and by Ray Gibbs. Some people are just skeptical that Greensboro will get a development like this. Ray Gibbs himself was at first skeptical when the developers first approached him about it and so was the mayor but once they learned about the project, worked with the developers and received more info, they both think its realistic. The mind set by some city leaders and by some on this forum is that if this project is so BIG and GREAT, why are they looking at Greensboro to build this? I think thats the real issue here and why some people here are saying stuff like this project is "being over sold" Im sure the first thing people will think when all the details are revealed is that "this wont happen in Greensboro"

If you read my post, it said "I know you didn't make some of those comments."

Just because a nightclub owner says that doesn't mean it's the gospel (this is NOT directed to you). My only problem with this development is how much gets tacked on in each news release, first it was entertainment, then themepark, and then convention center & regional draw. The more it gets bigger, the harder time I have thinking it will realistically get built. It's a nice vision to replicate a city inside a city but we don't even know who the developer is which would give us a better idea of the likeliness of the whole complex getting built. Even the extra secret Trump development in Charlotte revealed who their developer was (Infinity Partners). For all we know, it could Joe Schmo from Asheboro who has a vision.

My idea if this is a realistic vision, is that it will be a mini Atlantic Station that will try to recruit night clubs and retail but have a family theme to it. There will be a hotel or two that are probably conjoined by a small convention center or just share meeting space.

This idea did come through my mind recently after our discussion on SSP, what if it was a Gaylord Hotel complex? That's still a bit far fetched to me but it makes a tad bit better sense.

If you read my post, it said "I know you didn't make some of those comments."

Just because a nightclub owner says that doesn't mean it's the gospel (this is NOT directed to you). My only problem with this development is how much gets tacked on in each news release, first it was entertainment, then themepark, and then convention center & regional draw. The more it gets bigger, the harder time I have thinking it will realistically get built. It's a nice vision to replicate a city inside a city but we don't even know who the developer is which would give us a better idea of the likeliness of the whole complex getting built. Even the extra secret Trump development in Charlotte revealed who their developer was (Infinity Partners). For all we know, it could Joe Schmo from Asheboro who has a vision.

My idea if this is a realistic vision, is that it will be a mini Atlantic Station that will try to recruit night clubs and retail but have a family theme to it. There will be a hotel or two that are probably conjoined by a small convention center or just share meeting space.

This idea did come through my mind recently after our discussion on SSP, what if it was a Gaylord Hotel complex? That's still a bit far fetched to me but it makes a tad bit better sense.

The problem is Ray Gibbs is the direct contact with these developers and he is the one saying this project is meant to be a southeast regional desitnation. Give my one good reason why Greensboro cant have a development such as that? The scope of this project confirms what Ralboi was saying all along. Things are not being added to this development, its just that more and more are being revealed, maybe the scale has been increased though because the increased cost reflects that.

I didnt say Greensoro would be the LA of the east coast. I agree that statement takes it too far. Secondly just because someone made a comment like that doesnt mean the project wont be as big as it is being projected in the media and by Ray Gibbs. Some people are just skeptical that Greensboro will get a development like this. Ray Gibbs himself was at first skeptical when the developers first approached him about it and so was the mayor but once they learned about the project, worked with the developers and received more info, they both think its realistic. The mind set by some city leaders and by some on this forum is that if this project is so BIG and GREAT, why are they looking at Greensboro to build this? I think thats the real issue here and why some people here are saying stuff like this project is "being over sold" Im sure the first thing people will think when all the details are revealed is that "this wont happen in Greensboro"

To be completely honest with you, whenever I see leaders of any entity creating hype, but yet keeping things under wrap, I become suspicious. It is a fact that may not be widely known, but in corporate business and in entertainment, people sometimes generate buzz merely for the "other" interest that it might generate. I haven't seen any other cities being considered for this project generate as much hype.

Maybe GSO leaders want to attract "other" developments downtown by trying to make this "potential" development seem so spectacular. Now that...is realistic!

I think thats the real issue here and why some people here are saying stuff like this project is "being over sold" Im sure the first thing people will think when all the details are revealed is that "this wont happen in Greensboro"

I am personally skeptical because of the nature of large projects and their life cycle, and for that reason it is too premature to be in the celebratory/optimistic phase. Otherwise, I don't really see the attitude of "this wont happen in Greensboro", I think those guys have gotten bored beating up on GSO. :)

I get the feeling that when somebody doesn't think this will happen, you automatically think that they are against Greensboro and don't want anything good to happen to the city. That is NOT the case. I'm not saying Greensboro can't have that type of development, it just sounds as if the developer is becoming too diversified with this plan and trying to add everything he imagines into it. What I said was unrealistic on the other urban development site was the tenants you thought could come with this development.

I get the feeling that when somebody doesn't think this will happen, you automatically think that they are against Greensboro and don't want anything good to happen to the city. That is NOT the case. I'm not saying Greensboro can't have that type of development, it just sounds as if the developer is becoming too diversified with this plan and trying to add everything he imagines into it. What I said was unrealistic on the other urban development site was the tenants you thought could come with this development.

like the House of Blues? well the plan does call for such venues (House of Blues type venue) but as of now there are no tenants that have signed up. Venues like that are very realistic for this project if it is to be a "Southeast tourist destintation" as Ray Gibbs puts its.

Yes, like the House of Blues, Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock, Disney, Universal, etc. I know the complex is being touted as a Southeast tourist destination but that doesn't mean that House of Blues should be thrown in there. I have many friends who are into the type of music that they play at HOB but none of them have ever driven to Myrtle Beach for the shows. So I can't really see classifying that as a tourist destination.

like the House of Blues? well the plan does call for such venues (House of Blues type venue) but as of now there are no tenants that have signed up. Venues like that are very realistic for this project if it is to be a "Southeast tourist destintation" as Ray Gibbs puts its.

WHAT PLAN????????? A CITY HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED (AS FAR AS WE KNOW), A SITE HAS NOT EVEN BEEN SELECTED, A PROPOSAL HAS NOT BEEN SUBMITTED TO THE CITY COUNCIL AND APPROVED FOR A DEVELOPMENT, BUT YOU'RE ALREADY TALKING ABOUT PLANS AND SIGNING UP VENUES.

Don't put the cart before the horse. I would seriously be concerned about credibility issues if all or none of these things don't come to fruition.

Yes, like the House of Blues, Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock, Disney, Universal, etc. I know the complex is being touted as a Southeast tourist destination but that doesn't mean that House of Blues should be thrown in there. I have many friends who are into the type of music that they play at HOB but none of them have ever driven to Myrtle Beach for the shows. So I can't really see classifying that as a tourist destination.

certainly if a House of Blues were a part of this, it wouldnt be THE focal point of the development but would be a part of a number of combined attractions meant to draw people from long distances. Ray Gibbs said people jaws would drop for a reason and I dont think it would be over mediocre entertainment venues. He said the venues would be "significant" drawing national acts and seating 2,000 people. The only type of venues that fit those decriptions are venues like the House of Blues. Its not so impossible. The N Club already attract House of Blues acts and is the only city in the state that has a venue that is part of the House of Blues network. International investors arent going to clamor over something thats mediocre. And mediocre entertainment venues dont make it feasible to build two LUXURY hotels downtown, one having between 300 to 600 rooms. A few years ago it was said that hotels were doing poorly downtown. The Marriott Downtown has changed owners several times under different hotel names.

doesnt sound over sold to me considering the man who made this statements is the direct point person to the developers.

IF this project comes to fruition, as it's been spun, I'll eat crow. However, I'm skeptical of all the hype and no concrete plans. I want to see concrete plans, renderings, zoning requests, etc., before believing it. There's been a lot of 'hyped up' one liners related to this project.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see something like this happen for what happens in Greensboro is good for the Triad region as a whole, I am just very suspect of this project at the moment.

IF this project comes to fruition, as it's been spun, I'll eat crow. However, I'm skeptical of all the hype and no concrete plans. I want to see concrete plans, renderings, zoning requests, etc., before believing it. There's been a lot of 'hyped up' one liners related to this project.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see something like this happen for what happens in Greensboro is good for the Triad region as a whole, I am just very suspect of this project at the moment.

I'm thinking the same exact thing

once again you are forgetting that the size and scope of this project is far bigger than what Billy Prim has planned. Billy Prim certainly doesnt have a 600 room luxury hotel, convention center, IMAX and MAJOR 2,000 seat entertainment venues that attracts big time national acts and other tourist attractions in his plan. The cost of the project has nothing to do with what kind of impact it will have on the region. But the estimates are above $200 million now just to let you know. Something thats $75 million can actually be more significant than something that $125 million. There is no arguement about how big this potential development is. There are statements in the media that proves this and its no longer speculation. We know its a very significant development and we also know what DGI president Ray Gibbs said about this project, which I mentioned about 6 posts ago.

LOL...RALBOI...for someone who doesnt say alot, you say alot

btw yall RALBOI agrees with me how big the project is because he knows what it is ;)

OOhhh! Wait my friend! Like I said in our e-mails This thing can be HUGE, IF BUILT, and that's a BIG IF! I think Greensboro is worthy and all, but RALNATIVE broke it down, "I must say and made me HAPPY". I made the choice to stop talking about project X, because I don't know all the details, yes it's true I know more than most even more than some in Greensboro's own city goverment, but all the O's and X's haven't been crossed and other cities are still in the HUNT and things can change real fast, so that's why I just decided to just SHUT MY MOUTH. :whistling:

While I do hope that Greensboro does get the project there have been projects that have been as ambitious and further along than Greensboro's is that have gone belly up. Anyone who is familiar with Syracuse and the DestiNY situation probably relaizes how a situation can go very south. Again a project like this could be a real boon but I'm going to reserve any optimism for the project till dirt is moving and even then there is no guarantee that it will all come to fruition.

WHAT PLAN????????? A CITY HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED (AS FAR AS WE KNOW), A SITE HAS NOT EVEN BEEN SELECTED, A PROPOSAL HAS NOT BEEN SUBMITTED TO THE CITY COUNCIL AND APPROVED FOR A DEVELOPMENT, BUT YOU'RE ALREADY TALKING ABOUT PLANS AND SIGNING UP VENUES.

Don't put the cart before the horse. I would seriously be concerned about credibility issues if all or none of these things don't come to fruition.

The perfect statement and the reason why I stopped talking about this project, yes their is more than one plan, but not a one has been presented to the city of Greensboro, because Greensboro has not been CONFIRMED, but is a frontrunner for the project but like I said things change fast and it's not in the BAG meaning other cities could still easily walk away with this project if it is even built, Citiboi you know I support Greensboro's bid and I think it will HAPPEN! but you are putting the cart before the horse just alittle bit my friend .Just sit back and see what happens and maybe FOLKS JAWS WILL DROP! :rolleyes:

Archived