The Greensboro Triumph Center

cityboi

Speculation... speculation... don't let the cart get to far ahead of the horse!!!

Don't get me wrong, I want this to happen for Greensboro and the Triad, but I haven't seen anything concrete to induce my to buy a case of Moet.

just because you cant see something....doesnt mean its not there ;) I agree, we are not ready to celebrate just yet but all indications lead us to believe this this is real and will likely happen.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suburban George is right, don't get excited yet. It is still speculation at this point.

Roninggreensboro, could you give us a few more details about this? I mean a convention center is nice but with all this hype it's sort of like,"So what?"

Suburban George is right, don't get excited yet. It is still speculation at this point.

Roninggreensboro, could you give us a few more details about this? I mean a convention center is nice but with all this hype it's sort of like,"So what?"

Its more than a convention center. We cant really see the full scope of this project yet even though we know it has a hotel and convention center in it. I think it has to do more with the nature of this development and not the fact that it has a convention center or a hotel.

The thing about it is, the hotel planned will be a convention center. Not just a small convention center but one that will be either on the same scale as Koury to even bigger. The fact that the center piece of this project is a hotel convention center will alone bring in more bigger projects to the downtown area. The source I talked too deals with hotel construction and it's the convention centers we have now that is helping to land this project, from what he said. What it looks like is that the Flordia group probably wants GSO to be a convention hub. So, putting two and two together, major convention city = major entertainment venues as well as other hotel venues and shopping. DaAchiever, you may think another convention center is nothing to shout and scream over but it's the size and attraction of buisness this project will bring. Greensboro may just be transformed into "The Convention City"

The thing about it is, the hotel planned will be a convention center. Not just a small convention center but one that will be either on the same scale as Koury to even bigger. The fact that the center piece of this project is a hotel convention center will alone bring in more bigger projects to the downtown area. The source I talked too deals with hotel construction and it's the convention centers we have now that is helping to land this project, from what he said. What it looks like is that the Flordia group probably wants GSO to be a convention hub. So, putting two and two together, major convention city = major entertainment venues as well as other hotel venues and shopping. DaAchiever, you may think another convention center is nothing to shout and scream over but it's the size and attraction of buisness this project will bring. Greensboro may just be transformed into "The Convention City"

could you give us a clue what kind of entertainment venues we are looking at here? apparenetly these are some SERIOUS entertainment venues and seems to the be what the hype is all about and not just a convention hotel.

also dont forget about the conference center at Grandover Ron. Thats more convention space in Greensboro.

certainly this project would help out PTI and attract more flights to the airport. PTI would really become a busy airport with more flights and the FEDEX related activity

Greensboro could have a second nickname "The Convention City"

could you give us a clue what kind of entertainment venues we are looking at here? apparenetly these are some SERIOUS entertainment venues and seems to the be what the hype is all about.

certainly this project would help out PTI and attract more flights to the airport.

I wish I could but he didn't go into detail about additional projects like entertainment venues.

Sounds nice, but what kind of hotel are we looking at here? Too bad one city is already "The Convention City," Atlanta.

I cant speak for Atlanta because im sure the downtown convention center wouldnt even come close to the Georgia World Congress Center in size but once again, this is meant to be much more than a convention center and when you look at the entire project, Atlanta doesnt have anything like this. This has been described as being a "new concept". Its not just another convention center.

I'm amazed at the 'promptness' of some of the replies on this thread. Less than ten minutes to keep the speculation going.... I wonder if this is a UP record?

u think you are funny :) I replied 5 minutes after you posted LOL

Silly boi, you actually responded in 4? See if u can top that!

:P

I will when you least expect it :)

Wow you guys are still talking about this thing & yall don't even know what it will look like. Man... Yall are very impatient. HAHAHAHAHA.

Just think how much talking will be going on here once this thing is announced...LOL! I think this thread has already set a record in the Triad section with the most replies and most views, and that happened within less than 3 months LOL....expect this thread to get mightly long over the upcoming months if this is a done deal for Greensboro.

I cant speak for Atlanta because im sure the downtown convention center wouldnt even come close to the Georgia World Congress Center in size but once again, this is meant to be much more than a convention center and when you look at the entire project, Atlanta doesnt have anything like this. This has been described as being a "new concept". Its not just another convention center.

Atlanta doesn't really need anything like this, either. You simply cannot beat the natural synergy in downtown Atlanta that exists between the convention spaces (GWCC, Phillips Arena, Georgia Dome) and the attractions (World of Coke, Centennial Olympic Park, Georgia Aquarium, etc.). Hopefully if Greensboro lands this project, it will be able to do that with its downtown attractions and the new entertainment/convention complex.

Just think how much talking will be going on here once this thing is announced...LOL! I think this thread has already set a record in the Triad section with the most replies and most views, and that happened within less than 3 months LOL....expect this thread to get mightly long over the upcoming months if this is a done deal for Greensboro.

Don't mean to be Mr.Critical but I think the Wal-Mart/Carolina Circle thread has this one beat. :) If this does indeed become a major project then I think we should close this one and start a new one that is more informative and easier read to us and visitors. I like what I hear about Greensboro becoming NC's convention city but I thought Charlotte would've become one long before G'boro.

Don't mean to be Mr.Critical but I think the Wal-Mart/Carolina Circle thread has this one beat. :) If this does indeed become a major project then I think we should close this one and start a new one that is more informative and easier read to us and visitors. I like what I hear about Greensboro becoming NC's convention city but I thought Charlotte would've become one long before G'boro.

I do think its interesting that this convention center could be larger than the Koury Convention Center, maybe even as large as the Charlotte Convention Center. The developers seem to be counting on major entertainment and shopping venues to target major conventions. I do think this project could spur more hotel construction in Greensboro and in the surrounding area. More hotels in the area actually help other events such as High Point's World Home Furnishings Market. If Greensboro does indeed become "Convention City" expect more BIG hotels.

Also Word has it that Joey Medaloni, the guy that jumpstarted Greensboro's downtown nightlife with the N Club and Much and turned downtown into a vibrant bustling nightlife destination is moving to Charleston, South Carolina to help the nightlife situation there. FOX 8 News said he will be back in Greensboro to work with an "unnamed project" Could this have anything to do with the secret project being planned for downtown? maybe it expalins his comment "Greensboro being the LA of the East Coast in 10 years" I still dont know why he said that Unless he knows the details of this project and feels that it could have such an impact on the city. But im sure he was exagerating

80% of the responses are from you cityboi...LOL.

i know for a fact that if Greensboro does get this project, we will NEVER hear the end of it from you.

I do think its interesting that this convention center could be larger than the Koury Convention Center, maybe even as large as the Charlotte Convention Center. The developers seem to be counting on major entertainment and shopping venues to target major conventions. I do think this project could spur more hotel construction in Greensboro and in the surrounding area. More hotels in the area actually help other events such as High Point's World Home Furnishings Market. If Greensboro does indeed become "Convention City" expect more BIG hotels.

Also Word has it that Joey Medaloni, the guy that jumpstarted Greensboro's downtown nightlife with the N Club and Much and turned downtown into a vibrant bustling nightlife destination is moving to Charleston, South Carolina to help the nightlife situation there. FOX 8 News said he will be back in Greensboro to work with an "unnamed project" Could this have anything to do with the secret project being planned for downtown? maybe it expalins his comment "Greensboro being the LA of the East Coast in 10 years" I still dont know why he said that Unless he knows the details of this project and feels that it could have such an impact on the city. But im sure he was exagerating

What Joey Medaloni has done for downtown Greensboro is priceless. I guess this means he isn't going to run for mayor anymore :rolleyes:. I know this is off topic but I traffic on Elm St. was backed up to Lee St at 1:00 am last saturday. If we get this large development downtown, and get Lee St/ High Point Rd on the right path the sky will be the limit for Greensboro.

What Joey Medaloni has done for downtown Greensboro is priceless. I guess this means he isn't going to run for mayor anymore :rolleyes:. I know this is off topic but I traffic on Elm St. was backed up to Lee St at 1:00 am last saturday. If we get this large development downtown, and get Lee St/ High Point Rd on the right path the sky will be the limit for Greensboro.

South Elm Eugene is one section of downtown that I hope gets developed heavly form this project.

I have to admit...it is a guilty pleasure for me to read this thread. With almost no information whatsoever, you guys (and it's pretty much one of you) have turned this into Guilford Co's 8th Wonder of the World.

Talk about WILD speculation. Anyway, don't view what I'm saying here as an attempt to change things. Like I said, I enjoy the hyperbole.

(And to be honest, I hope something big does happen in GSO...I love that city. I just think some people are going to be almost suicidal when the details of this thing are finally known.)

Archived