Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

In that picture, either Tryon Place looks shorter or the hotel at Tryon Place looks bigger.

How perfect would it be for a JW at Tryon place? Beside the convention center, beside Duke Energy and anchoring a potentially very vibrant block. And having a JW would also help Tryon Place score tenants.

I think they'd have to rework the site plan here if JW Marriott would be incorporated. I can't imagine them wanting to be one of two hotel brands on this bank of land. They'd want a larger footprint too.. Just my opinion though. 

Edited by wend28

I think they'd have to rework the site plan here if JW Marriott would be incorporated. I can't imagine them wanting to be one of two hotel brands on this bank of land. They'd want a larger footprint too.. Just my opinion though.

Well Tryon Place will only have one hotel, it's the Whole Foods property that will be 2. Also I think if they get 300 rooms and proper sinage they will be fine. They have existing hotels that are just over 300 rooms. I see this as a very likely spot for JW

Well Tryon Place will only have one hotel, it's the Whole Foods property that will be 2. Also I think if they get 300 rooms and proper sinage they will be fine. They have existing hotels that are just over 300 rooms. I see this as a very likely spot for JW

You're right... I've gotten my Crescent projects mixed up. Too many beers last night. I was actually thinking a Loews would go here. But wouldn't be disappointed by JW either. 

I usually consider JW to be a very convention oriented hotelier.  Their new hotels in Indy and Austin are clearly aimed at that market, and are huge 1,000 room hotels.  I think that a better site would be the block between DEC and the CC.  This site is good, but maybe for a W or Loews.  

Not to go too far off topic, but what is up with that empty lot between the DEC and CC?  Is it too expensive currently?  It's probably worth a fortune to developers.  

I usually consider JW to be a very convention oriented hotelier. Their new hotels in Indy and Austin are clearly aimed at that market, and are huge 1,000 room hotels. I think that a better site would be the block between DEC and the CC. This site is good, but maybe for a W or Loews.

Not to go too far off topic, but what is up with that empty lot between the DEC and CC? Is it too expensive currently? It's probably worth a fortune to developers.

Well, if it were at Tryon Place, it would be directly to the corner of it, but if Tryon Place is as transformational and place building as Crescent claims it will be, an Epicentre (obviously in a different way) equivalency of South Tryon, I would think JW rather be at Tryon place.

I would be disappointed with Anything smaller than a 40 floor hotel tower with a large base at the block you're referring to. It's just too large and prime to be for a hotel. Unless it was Part of a broader development.

I think I remembeR Ricky Davis, or someone did, that the owner of the land is looking for the perfect project, or something special or along those lines.

Guess who showed up on Acela :-), this project! Its totally a go, guys.

Edit: It mistakenly links to Portman Plaza, but hey, at least its Outlined now. I've seen them mislabel a half dozen things only to see them fixed about a month later.

Edited by Guest

Guess who showed up on Acela :-), this project! Its totally a go, guys.

Edit: It mistakenly links to Portman Plaza, but hey, at least its Outlined now. I've seen them mislabel a half dozen things only to see them fixed about a month later.

And the goodyear plot isnt highlighted ;) but yes, thatll probably get fixed when this thing is officially submitted. So what do you think triggered it to show up on the site? does it have finalized plans now? does it have enough support/tenants to justify building it? 

And the goodyear plot isnt highlighted ;) but yes, thatll probably get fixed when this thing is officially submitted. So what do you think triggered it to show up on the site? does it have finalized plans now? does it have enough support/tenants to justify building it? 

I'm curious about whether they will build up around Goodyear and then demo it when the time comes. If you overlay the building on the plot of land, goodyear sits where one of the retail seating areas and the big giant urban plaza will be. They might not need to demo it for a while.

Edited by Guest

FWIW I had a chance encounter at dinner tonight with someone I would definitely consider an insider for this project. He indicated that groundbreaking is likely to occur in Q1 2016. I don't think I had seen that date mentioned in this thread yet.

Well that is certainly a long time from now :( I hope Crescent Uptown gets going sooner

Okay Guys, hope you are ready for this

Went to the first of the Skyline Series at goodyear tonight. Had packets FULL of info on Tryon Place and Crescent Uptown (official name). Got to talk to the architect, here are the details

• Current renderings arent 100% accurate
  • Color is more grey now than green (looks cooler I think)
  • No hotel partner yet but can go 1 of 2 ways
  • Hotel & Residences concept OR just hotel
  • Hotel will probably be taller and be about 3/4ths the height of the building
  • About 27 story's, 460 ft tall
  • TONS of retail, including a BIG want for a beer garden
  • They really want to incorporate local art and make this a 24/7 space
  • The "oasis" you see on the parking deck will likely not make it, but Crescent would rather spend the money on ground floor stuff (I agree with this) 
  • They aren't doing much to the park on the other side of Hill, but may build a wall to block sound from 277
  • Big plan is to make Hill walkable from Tryon place <-> Portman <-> Crescent Uptown
  • Goodyear will not remain for part of construction, they will level the whole site....go down for 6 months....then go up
  • Utility work to start in summer, groundbreaking early 2016
  • Late 2017, early 2018 final completion
  • They really really really stressed independent restaurants, local artists, bringing Charlotte together
  • "An outdoor living room that you come back to. That Charlotteans come back to."
  • "We believe in uptown"

Ill add more as i remember, and feel free to ask questions. I feel like I got a lot more info than what I just typed

Ground_zps28gtbuzc.jpg

Hotel%20amp%20Residence_zpshhq34yo2.jpg

Hotel_zpsjt7gaj7n.jpg

Profile_zpsp7hchv00.jpg

Sq%20Ft_zpsceqmw1vi.jpg

Site_zpspbptkvxc.jpg

Retail_zpsvzvdogcb.jpg

Retail%20Close_zpsdud1utjr.jpg

Tryon%20Retail_zpsthqtmeig.jpg

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 4

Great news. I liked the green though

Trust me, the grey looks better, and I liked the green too. The grey looks sleeker and more modern, yet it oddly looks classic...think a 'white grey' or 'Apple grey' and that may change again the architect said, but that's what it is currently

oh and one more thing, those old buildings at College and Stonewall....gone.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Trust me, the grey looks better, and I liked the green too. The grey looks sleeker and more modern, yet it oddly looks classic...think a 'white grey' or 'Apple grey' and that may change again the architect said, but that's what it is currently

oh and one more thing, those old buildings at College and Stonewall....gone.

What else did they say about retail? Did they mention anything about actual clothing stores, etc. or is food what is more likely for the retail spaces?

What else did they say about retail? Did they mention anything about actual clothing stores, etc. or is food what is more likely for the retail spaces?

They didnt mention anything at all actually, this was purely marketing. The only thing mentioned was that they would like to have a beer garden. Everything else is totally up for grabs. But they made it a specific point to highlight that they are focused on: local, art, independent, culture. My guess is we see a nice mix of art/dance studios, restaurants, bars. Basically they want places to socialize and interact and be "Charlotte"

Is that parking garage already there or is that something they'll build? If it is part of their project, I hope they'll do more to make it look less like a parking deck.

It's part of the project and they're going to dress it up with art. Just not sure how, and they also MIGHT have retail on the College street side of it.

Looks like they flattened the main office building and reduced some of the exterior features in the second option (with the taller hotel + residential). Or am I seeing things?

You aren't seeing things, however, what you are seeing is a massing diagram on the bottom. The Top Picture is more of an actual representation. The bottom is just a different massing option.

Also worth noting, is the stated height. 460 to the Parapet. 

I looks like there is about a 1.5 floor "fin/glass extension" on the top. This would put it at about 475' 

Bofa Corp 871

Duke Energy 786

Hearst 659

One Wells 588

Vue 560

Bank of America Plaza 503

300 South Tryon 500' (460 highest occupied floor)

1 Bank of America Center 484

Tryon Place 475' (460' highest occupied floor)

121 Trade (Interstate Tower) 462

Three Wells 450'

Mint Museum Apartments – 450' (430' highest occupied floor)

Fifth Third 447

Two Wells 433

Avenue 425

400 South Tryon 420'

Carillon 394'

Charlotte Plaza 388'

Ascent Uptown 340'

525 North Tryon 330'

Trademark 325'

Catalyst 322'

First Citizens Plaza 320'

Skye 310'

The Arlington 310'

101 Independence Center 301'

BB&T Center 300;

Portman Plaza 300'

200 South Tryon 299'

Nascar Hall of Fame 293'

The Westin Charlotte 293'

Hilton Charlotte 292'

210 trade – 284'

112 S. Tryon 280'

Skyhouse Charlotte I 273'

Skyhouse Charlotte II 273'

Edit: Added in Others.

Edited by Guest

I wish they would try and put just a portion of the parking deck underground. Even one or two floors would bring the overall height of the parking deck and massing down as you see it from 277.

Added benefit - the two level parking decks increase the accessibility to available spaces as folks that enter the garage can go up OR down to get a free space rather than all having to wind upwards.