Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

BTW - Here's a nice little gem from Ely on the Twitter. Uptown will be rolling in 2016.

Work should be underway on Cresent's big new uptown projects by end of year, company says. That's Whole Foods, apartments, office tower.

not to mention ascent, 300 s tryon, Springhill, epi hotel, skyhouse 2 and museum tower will all be in various stages of topping out. :)

• Like 2

^ Its just an unhelpful rumor but the Chamber is currently working on a "big" project (meaning major firm HQ relocation) and they hope to hear if it lands shortly. Unfortunately 1) this is all I know, 2) it may not be any more likely than any other relocation. That said, I did get a sense from my contact that it would be a large consumer of uptown office space if they choose Charlotte.

I don't think the timeline of the redesign for nine more floors matches up with the timeline on this relocation however (thus the uselessness of the rumor)

Could be Kennametal: http://www.post-gazette.com/business/pittsburgh-company-news/2015/09/18/Latrobe-based-Kennametal-to-move-headquarters-to-Pittsburgh/stories/201509180314

They've temporarily relocated to downtown Pittsburgh but in the meantime are receiving bids for a permanent home. Charlotte was mentioned as a contender in the article.

I don't want to get too wild and speculative here, but you don't add 9 floors to a spec office project unless something is going on, right?  I mean, they must know something at this point that we don't.  I don't really care who it is (obviously GE or BMW would just be incredible) but what other reason would they really have to be like "hmmm, we need 9 more floors on this sucker".

• Like 1

It could be a tenant looking for all the space in the building or it could be a tenant that is looking for enough space to justify the financials to go larger on the spec side of the office building. They have been clear that this project will move forward with or without an announced tenant so this could be the case.

I'm hopeful it is a huge tenant who does not put their logo on the building.

I love the financial industry so I would love for it to be a financial insitition.

In my little fantasy world, if Duke Energy or another Energy company anchored the tower, it would be cool to make the square of Stonewall and Tryon similar to an eclectic version of Trade & Tryon with Lighted sculptures or something similar to the lighted globe stuff you would see at Spencer's (horrible, horrible example, I know)

^wait I love the idea of that parking lot next to St. Peter's being a park!

I know that's just the marketing team taking creative liberties with the existing environment, but still....

yeah I thought about that too. Would make a nice compliment to the green if they could connect it somehow. However, realistically this is way too prime of land to become more civic space

But I actually think it's more of the marketing dept. being lazy and not wanting to render a parking lot, cause who wants to see that lol 

Edited by Jayvee

I love the financial industry so I would love for it to be a financial insitition.

In my little fantasy world, if Duke Energy or another Energy company anchored the tower, it would be cool to make the square of Stonewall and Tryon similar to an eclectic version of Trade & Tryon with Lighted sculptures or something similar to the lighted globe stuff you would see at Spencer's (horrible, horrible example, I know)

Agreed with regards to the financial industry.  There is perhaps no other industry that can confer more worldwide clout on a city than finance.  So a Citizens Bank HQ or an Ally HQ would be a very welcome addition.  But GE and/or BMW would also be fantastic.

Interesting fact regarding financial companies in Charlotte-if all the financial companies that had their largest employment base in the region also had their HQ here, then Charlotte would be the HQ city for BofA, Wells, TIAA-CREF, and soon LPL Financial

Can I ask, who's idea was it to put a hotel next to a hotel? Hmmm... 

Isn't that bad planing for business and profit. Unless the hotel next to the Westin is another Starwood property, i.e. element by Westin or a W. 

uh not at all. Look at the center of town. You hit the Marriott, Omni, Ritz, Aloft and soon to be AC hotel all in one stretch. There might not be anything more common in a downtown area than a hotel next to a hotel (besides office next to office). In fact some downtown areas have multiple of the exact same brands right next to each other. 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Can I ask, who's idea was it to put a hotel next to a hotel? Hmmm... 

Isn't that bad planing for business and profit. Unless the hotel next to the Westin is another Starwood property, i.e. element by Westin or a W. 

It enables people who want to be in one location to choose price point, brand, and amenities without having to sacrifice location. If there is strong demand for these things in one location, like in Uptown, the benefits of nearness are even stronger. 

When I traveled for business I would stay exclusively with Hilton while others in my organization would stay only with Marriott or Starwood. We could all stay within blocks of one another in almost every city (or awful office park).

So....the approved utility relocation plans for the site were approved yesterday by Meck land use.  The plans show a different design completely for the tower though (granted, it was just a rendering in the skyline on the cover-sheet, not a specific set of plans for the actual tower design).  I hope this does indicate a new design, as it was far less interesting (it looks like Phipps Tower in Buckhead Atlanta that Little did).

So....the approved utility relocation plans for the site were approved yesterday by Meck land use.  The plans show a different design completely for the tower though (granted, it was just a rendering in the skyline on the cover-sheet, not a specific set of plans for the actual tower design).  I hope this does indicate a new design, as it was far less interesting (it looks like Phipps Tower in Buckhead Atlanta that Little did).

I am assuming you mean "doesnt indicate...."? Looking at it, yeah I don't think this is a redesign, it looks just a REALLY basic version of the tower they cheaply put in a rendering. I think it's all good :) we will still get our nice looking Tryon Place. I will try to confirm though. Does look nice and tall!

One interesting note is the construction phases:

1. College & Hill
  2. College & Tryon
  3. College & Tryon
  4. Tryon

atlrvr, got confirmation, just a very simple rendering for that document. not at all like the final design. final design is like what we see on the experiencetryonplace.com site

Edited by Jayvee

Here is the rendering ATLRVR and Jayvee were referencing. For everyone's viewing pleasure. Jayvee confirmed that its just a massing. The great thing about the massing is, it confirms a 36+ floor building. Honestly the height looks very impressive.

Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 9.26.56 AM.png