Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

This was filed today, looks like they be getting going with site work soon!

Tryon Place Sanitary and Storm Drain Relocation Relocation of approximately 749 lf of 16" sanitary sewer, 75 lf of 8" sanitary sewer and 729 lf of storm drainage lines.

Any word on the hotel brand yet?

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump this up, but serious question: 

With all that Crescent has "planned" -- TP, CS, NoDa #1, and now NoDa #2 -- are they even capable of handling four such high-profile projects?  I mean these are all pretty intense, transformative projects for one developer to capitalize on simultaneously, even if they are flush with capital. What is the trajectory of each project?  

To be honest, I am more concerned about TP than the others.  Maybe because it feels like it has lost a bit of steam as of lately. 

Sorry to bump this up, but serious question: 

With all that Crescent has "planned" -- TP, CS, NoDa #1, and now NoDa #2 -- are they even capable of handling four such high-profile projects?  I mean these are all pretty intense, transformative projects for one developer to capitalize on simultaneously, even if they are flush with capital. What is the trajectory of each project?  

To be honest, I am more concerned about TP than the others.  Maybe because it feels like it has lost a bit of steam as of lately. 

Lets step back a bit. Because you need to understand the scope of the projects are very different. 

1. Tryon Place and Crecent Stonewall are definitely very big projects, in an expensive area of town. Crescent Uptown is calling for Bids in the 250M range, (probably 325M once hotels are tacked on), which is about 5M less that the Vue was. I suspect Tryon Place will be north of 350-400M depending on the use of the second tower.

2. Noda 1 will be midrise apartments, some for sale townhouses with a commercial component in a cheaper area of town. I suspect 35M (Mercury Noda was only $25M)

3. Noda 2, and I will speculate, based purely on location, will be more like steel gardens mixed with south borough with some single family homes sprinkled in. Its too far from the urban core of Noda to be anything crazier. I'll speculate 40-50M 

Crescent is a Nation Wide Company, from Arizona to North Carolina, all the way up to DC. They have more projects under development than you could imagine. Doing this many projects at once is just what they do. 

As far as being worried about Tryon Place goes. Tryon place is needed in Charlotte. Bissell is constantly building spec towers in Ballantyne and they are constantly getting filled. People want to move uptown, but they want their own tower that they can stick their name on. Tryon Place fills a need, and Crescent is very bullish on this project. I for one believe in their vision, and personally have not seen any evidence that they have lost steam. They recently began the submission property with the planning department and I suspect by end of summer we will have an announcement about ground breaking. 

Don't get me wrong... Something has got to give eventually, but I don't think its going to be Crescent. 

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

It's been shared. I was thinking this thread was bumped due to the article in CO about there going to make the Goodyear building a showcase for local artist free to the public until September. I assumed that meant September ground work would begin? Demolition of Goodyear or something 

It's been shared. I was thinking this thread was bumped due to the article in CO about there going to make the Goodyear building a showcase for local artist free to the public until September. I assumed that meant September ground work would begin? Demolition of Goodyear or something 

whoops. Yeahhhh forgoT to post about that a long time ago. So what I was told is that they are going to use it for that purpose until sept and that's when they're going to start doing utility relocation work And such. Not necessarily that the building is being demolished then. 

Skyline Artist-in-Residence Program Launches

in Empty Goodyear Service CenterFuture Home of Tryon Place

CHARLOTTE, N.C.A new artists’ residency program has launched in Uptown Charlotte at the site of the former Goodyear Service Center at 100 E. Stonewall Street. July’s artists in residence are Kathryn Godwin, installation artist; Holly Christine Keogh, painter; and Todd Stewart, sculptor.

This short-term artist residency project provides studio space, a stipend, and a showcase for three outstanding Charlotte artists each month for July through September, including installation art, sculpture, painting, theater, dance, and music. The first residency showcase will be July 31 from 6 – 9pm. It’s free and open to the public. Future artists-in-residence include sculptor Matthew Steele; theater group XOXO Ensemble Performance; multi-media artist Robert Childers; and dance ensemble Triptych Collective.

This project will transform the empty, one-story commercial building, which sits on portion of the site of the future mixed-use Tryon Place. Resident artists will create and show their own work - and alter the building itself. This is an experimental pilot project, with an eye toward expanding opportunities for artists to create and share their work in empty or underutilized spaces.

We're thrilled that we can share this building as a space for Charlotte’s creative community over the next few months.said Tyler Niess, chief marketing officer of Crescent Communities. “Our goal with the Skyline series is to spur conversation and it is exciting that one of the ideas we heard in our first event – the need for space for our creative community – is already being put into action.  It is even more fun that it can happen in a location people can see artists and performers at work.”

Sponsors are Crescent Communities, owner of the building and instigator of this endeavor; Moore and Van Allen, PLLC; Little Diversified Architectural Consulting; Parkway Properties; The Wilbert Group; and Charlotte Center City Partners. The project is co-directed by Amy Herman  and The Wall Poems of Charlotte team (Amy Bagwell and Graham Carew).

“When Crescent asked us and Amy Herman our ideas for how to utilize the incredible space before construction begins, we agreed this residency project would be ideal and powerful,” said Amy BagwellThis project has come together amazingly fast, with swift support from the sponsors, all of whom expressed passionate interest in seeing this happen—and seeing it continue in some wayWe have great hope for this effort and what it might prove. The brilliant artists in residence are going to make things like nobody has seen before. We can’t wait.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 2

^^^That is more exciting to me than the JW Marriot rumor or even the W Hotel rumor.  With Ritz, Renaissance Southpark, Marriott Uptown, Residence Inn x2, AC Hotel, along with the standard Everywhere, USA properties such as Courtyard, we are already inundated with Marriott properties.  We also have a good helping of Starwood hotels-Westin, Le Meridien, Sheraton, Aloft x2, Luxury Collection (Ballantyne), plus their Everywhere, USA brands-canvassing the market.

Don't get me wrong, I hope to see both a W and JW in Charlotte someday, but I would like to see some more brands from Hyatt (Hyatt, Hyatt Regency), Hilton (Four Seasons), and Intercontinental (Indigo, Intercontinental, Kimpton Brands).

^^^That is more exciting to me than the JW Marriot rumor or even the W Hotel rumor.  With Ritz, Renaissance Southpark, Marriott Uptown, Residence Inn x2, AC Hotel, along with the standard Everywhere, USA properties such as Courtyard, we are already inundated with Marriott properties.  We also have a good helping of Starwood hotels-Westin, Le Meridien, Sheraton, Aloft x2, Luxury Collection (Ballantyne), plus their Everywhere, USA brands-canvassing the market.

Don't get me wrong, I hope to see both a W and JW in Charlotte someday, but I would like to see some more brands from Hyatt (Hyatt, Hyatt Regency), Hilton (Four Seasons), and Intercontinental (Indigo, Intercontinental, Kimpton Brands).

Kimpton is coming to 300 s tryon :)

Edited by Jayvee

Kimpton is coming to 300 s tryon :)

That is great news.  I knew that was the rumor, but I did not realize that it had been confirmed.  I recently had my first stay at a Kimpton in Alexandria, VA and it was perhaps the coolest hotel in which I have ever stayed barring  the Grand Hyatt Seoul.  Definitely will be awesome to have one of their properties in downtown.

Is it going to be one of their sub-brands such as Monaco or Palomar, or is it going to be "independently branded"?

Back on topic, I hope the Hyatt Regency rumor is true.  I have always thought it is sort of odd that Charlotte is as big as it is but has no full service or luxury brand representation from Hyatt.  A Regency will be a great addition.

Working on getting some more info here. I was told by Crescent that all 3 hotel partners with their projects (Tryon Place and 2 at Crescent Uptown) are all brands unique to the city (ex. Cambria, Hyatt Regency) and not found elsewhere. Hyatt isn't a unique "brand" but Regency is. I wasn't sure how to take this, but it seems thus far they are on track to give us completely different brands. 

Edited by Jayvee

I have no inside knowledge on either Crescent project, but it feels like it would make sense for JW and Hyatt Regency to be the target for the next 1,000 room hotel, which would be too large for the Crescent sites. Since they've said the hotel component at Tryon Place could have residences integrated, that would put Loews and W as the most likely users since they've both done several projects with hotel/residences, and since it sounds like Loews is going to be at Crescent Uptown, I see the W being the most likely flag which still falls under the category of unique to the market as Jayvee notes above.

Edited by Prodev

I have no inside knowledge on either Crescent project, but it feels like it would make sense for JW and Hyatt Regency to be the target for the next 1,000 room hotel, which would be too large for the Crescent sites. Since they've said the hotel component at Tryon Place could have residences integrated, that would put Loews and W as the most likely users since they've both done several projects with hotel/residences, and since it sounds like Loews is going to be at Crescent Uptown, I see the W being the most likely flag which still falls under the category of unique to the market as Jayvee notes above.

I'm absolutely okay with all of this.

I think the prospect of a 1000 room hotel is pretty minimal personally.  Developers are saying they would need city-subidies.  The hospitality lobby group is vehemently opposed to this (uneven playing field for all their current members).

I don't even really want a mega hotel, as I feel like for days they don't have conventions, they would need to discount their rooms substantially, and this would hurt the prospects of having many hotels Uptown.

The site that makes most sense for a large hotel is the parking lot between The Green and the Harvey Gantt Center.  Office front Tryon, and a 400-500 room hotel fronting College.

I could see that as a Hyatt Regency.

I agree that a W is most likely at Tryon Place.  I hadn't heard that  Loews was likely for Crescent Uptown though.

Edited by atlrvr

• 2 months later...

This has been relatively quiet -- along with Stonewall -- mostly bc I am assuming Crescent is getting there ducks in a row with the city.  Any news on this project, maybe hotel rumors? 

There's no anchor tenant yet announced. I thought with the release of JDIG funds (at last) that an announcement might be imminent but so far, nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is new info, but in the article today about Crescent selecting Collett to do the retail leasing it mentions... Crescent said it will break ground on the site in the fourth quarter this year, with completion expected in the second quarter 2018.

Just in case anyone wasn't paying attention.. It's now the 4th quarter of the year :)