Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

I read this today and I was blown away by this news. It would really propel Charlotte's image if Donald Trump moves forward with this project. Charlotte will also break a new barrier in skyscraper height. you usually only see 70-story buildings in cities like New York or Chicago. This will be great news for Charlotte and the largest office/mixed-use project in the history of Charlotte. This is some pretty amazing stuff and its a great time to live in Charlotte these days :)

http://www.charlotte.com/485/story/97776.html

Edited by cityboi

Wow this is very exciting!

A 70-story spec tower would be a maverick move. Maybe there is a quiet "major tenant" agreement in the works that has not been revealed, to be announced when the project is formally presented....

How exciting to see a German business presence Uptown, if that's what is ultimately announced..:)

^^^^^^ As to 70 floors of spec and being rarely done, I did not know that, and will concede that it is a meaningful statistic, though just one parting question - were those other examples in demand intense markets? And the WTC towers each added close to 4 million square feet of space, I think the most we'd get out of a 70 footer here would be a million or so, so slightly different? Regardless, I want a "bet $5" button added to thread options dropdown. :thumbsup:

Any new Class A building of this magnitude will offer 25,000 sq. ft. floor plates. Being conservative, and assuming there are 10 floors of above ground parking, that would result in at least a 1.5M sq. ft. tower. (Library Tower is 1.3M) I think more importantly than the scale of development is the context. Library Tower was pretty much the pinnacle of the office tower speculation that swept the country in the mid-1980's, I think it also received some sort of local subsidy, but I'm not sure. I guess my point was, the circumstances were better aligned for Library Tower than for a similarly sized spec tower in Charlotte.

On term that often gets misused is demand. Demand is the total amount of square footage that would be absorbed if there was limitless supply. I would argue that no one really knows how much demand is in Charlotte. We may have the lowest vacancy rate, but cities like Atlanta (which have 18%+ vacancy rates in the CBD) see far more space signed each year than Charlotte. My point is, Charlotte may or may not be a demand instense market.....we won't really know until we build it (and maybe they will come). Luckily, there finally seems to be enough capital in the market chasing deals, that Charlotte is reaping the benefits after some larger markets are becoming overbuilt.

You know what I was thinking....what if Donald Trump had a spin-off reality show where cities big and small competed for some sort of Donald Trump development? The size and scope of the development would depend on the size of the city and what the market would allow there. The city that wins would get a "trump development" as the prize. I would stick with medium sized to major markets. That would be an awesome reality show and I wouldnt miss one episode.

Edited by cityboi

Yes I saw that too...it was an interview WCNC had with Donald Trump and he said he has been to Charlotte many times and that its a great city and that yes they are looking at Charlotte "very seriously" and hope to announce something very soon. They also asked him if it is true his tower would be Charlotte's new tallest. He avoided that question and just repeated about what a great city Charlotte is. So nothing definate but all the right "codewords" are there.

Just an FYI...

The Parking Lot will close starting July 1. This is official and it makes sense given a much speculated date of 2010 for completion of the entire project. Construction should begin no later than 4Q 2007.

Thought you guys should know!

:shades:

A2

Edited by A2

Yes the Parking lot behind the GY is closing for good. Thank Goodness, another surface lot bites the dust!!! :)

Now we only have one more to concern ourselves with. The lot between The Green and the AACC. I think it is just a matter of time before a Super large Hotel goes on that lot though. JMHO.

A2

So is it really a big deal that he is interested in yet another city?......

I can't speak to what ever rag you are referring to when you mention the Tribune as I have never read it, but here at UrbanPlanet in the Charlotte forum it is a big deal when it is Charlotte that he is interested in. Maybe non residents don't care but that is why this topic isn't posted in the main Urban Discussion forum on this site.

Why would Trump shut down a parking lot that is generating over $28K per month in revenue if he is not going to stick a shovel in the ground until late fall? Don't count on it.

I would think that this project is going to have a LOT of site prep work. He's probably closing down the lot early for demo and site clearing, meaning actual construction could start this fall.

Like I said...further along than people think.

It is about time for a rendering!!

I never thought I'd see the day where North Tryon is playing catch-up to South Tryon, but the mo' is definitely on the south side now...

I would think that this project is going to have a LOT of site prep work. He's probably closing down the lot early for demo and site clearing, meaning actual construction could start this fall.

Like I said...further along than people think.

It is about time for a rendering!!

I never thought I'd see the day where North Tryon is playing catch-up to South Tryon, but the mo' is definitely on the south side now...

And the development will be phased to an extent. There are certain soon-to-be former land owners on the block that won't be vacating their building for sometime yet...