Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

What are the thoughts on Trump Chicago? (www.trumpchicago.com) I could see a building like that in Charlotte. Don't know about 92 stories, but the same general design.

TrumpTower-009.jpg

The Trump Chicago in my opinion is a beautiful building, I saw it in October as they were working on the bottom half. As far as Charlotte having that design, I feel like it could work but not truely add to the Charlotte skyline. IMO The Trump Chicago is a spin off of the Sears tower, so it fits for its element. If by some chance the Trump Charlotte was a hybrid of the BoA tower and Hearest Building (I think I got that right) then that would be nice.

Apparently Trump has decided to make the apprentices on his Apprentice TV show responsible for coming up with ways to sell his high priced luxury condos as part of future versions of this show. He says it will save costs because he won't have to market his condos by traditional methods. No specific towers were mentioned but I could see where the Charlotte proposal, if there is one, could be one of the properties that he includes in this approach.

Apparently Trump has decided to make the apprentices on his Apprentice TV show responsible for coming up with ways to sell his high priced luxury condos as part of future versions of this show. He says it will save costs because he won't have to market his condos by traditional methods. No specific towers were mentioned but I could see where the Charlotte proposal, if there is one, could be one of the properties that he includes in this approach.

Are you referring to this Observer's article: http://www.charlotte.com/200/story/78423.html

Where did you hear that Trump would be doing this on future show? Just curious...

I watched that episode of the Apprentice last night and they did indeed come up with a marketing plan for his tower #2 in Vegas. I never thought of the show itself as a marketing tool, but definitely by having that as a task on the show, they just *bought* more marketing time than they could have ever done otherwise.

As far as future shows, I recall the original show, the winner got to work on Trump Tower Chicago, so it would be totally in line with that to have someone work on a future Trump project--maybe even Charlotte.

I imagine that one of the attractions for Trump to the Charlotte market is the continully strong market for condos in the city despite signs of a weakening economy and housing (bubble) market elsewhere in the country.

It will be interesting to see if high end retail does attach itself to this project. Southpark holds a total monopoly now. The Trump name may be enough to lure high end brands to Uptown and perhaps spur a mainstream influx so peasants like myself will have shopping options Uptown. I think having a residential and retail market completely dominated by the higher end projects such as Trump's is unhealthy and makes for an inauthentic urban environment. A mix would be nice but I don't think The GAP is going to be one of the retail tenants Trump's organization will favor. Just a hunch :lol:

Thankyou for trying to explain for me, but it was mentioned on a TV show that I was watching.

No problem. I had also heard it outside of the O.

It will be interesting to see if high end retail does attach itself to this project. Southpark holds a total monopoly now. The Trump name may be enough to lure high end brands to Uptown and perhaps spur a mainstream influx so peasants like myself will have shopping options Uptown. I think having a residential and retail market completely dominated by the higher end projects such as Trump's is unhealthy and makes for an inauthentic urban environment. A mix would be nice but I don't think The GAP is going to be one of the retail tenants Trump's organization will favor. Just a hunch

I tend to think it has got to help draw some upscale retail, but I think we'll still have a huge disconnect between the amount and quality of retail in Southpark versus Uptown

As a developer, far be it from me to comment on competing developer. I certainly wouldn't want to give Trump additional exposure and a possible leg up on Conformity.... :rolleyes:

Some of this may have been mentioned already, but I share it for what it's worth (which is really nothing). It's Jr. that has been involved with this mostly; however, Ivanka was in town today. 2 towers continues to be the theme with overall scale (height, etc.) to be driven by market issues. A hotel and a condo component featuring the "International" brand.....could ultimately become just one tower depending on the market issues. 80/20 likelihood to the good is what I am hearing.

"it is just not an independant State of the US, but a place to be, bringing Euros, Yen and Yuan's"

This may just be a reference to "international"....but then again, maybe it means there is a new bank HQ coming to town??

I've guessed this before, and I'll guess again... Deutsche Bank! This would tie in very well with the International Hotel addition. Perfect place to stay when coming overseas for business trips.

Just an intuition.

Anyone check out the "Forum shoppes at Las Vegas" like NVQ hinted at in his post? Some interesting retail options there - not sure what would translate over to a new development in Charlotte: link to the list of stores

Edited by revitalize

^Indeed, and I am a bit clueless as to why the rumor has been started that a foreign bank might choose Charlotte as a place to setup shop. I don't see it happening.

In fact a sick Citigroup means there are probably others that are sick too including the two banks, here in this city.

Has anyone thought about Afshin Ghazi's acquisition and the big picture here? What are your thoughts on the two (GHAZI and TRUMP) teaming up and possibly using private funding to build the CAP PARK? And, if so, how cool would that be if people could walk back and forth across the interstate between retail and hotel campuses? SWEET!

Has anyone thought about Afshin Ghazi's acquisition and the big picture here? What are your thoughts on the two (GHAZI and TRUMP) teaming up and possibly using private funding to build the CAP PARK? And, if so, how cool would that be if people could walk back and forth across the interstate between retail and hotel campuses? SWEET!

That would be pretty sweet. Green space AND a pedestrian connection to uptown from South End.

In fact a sick Citigroup means there are probably others that are sick too including the two banks, here in this city.

Citigroup has been criticized over the past year or so for underperforming relative to its peers. I see this move as a way to streamline their processes and lower their costs, which if done correctly, should address some of those concerns.