Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Honestly I would be more content with a building less than 871 feet tall. Maybe 867 feet. I just don't know how I feel about a tower larger than bank of america, maybe I'm just having problems letting go of a tower that has been charlottes tallest for a good chunk of my life. Also I don't know how i feel about the tallest tower in charlotte being right up against the interstate.

i agree i love the BofA building it truly is the building that most native charlotteans will know as the signature tower for the rest of their lives; tallest or not, and i would certainly be happy with the new trump building being shorter but knowing trump and his track record in other cities i just cant imagine him going with something less than the tallest especially with all the hype and secrecy surrounding this project i have a feeling when this project is formally made public it will be a big splash and i think a lot of people would be a bit dissapointed if it was not the new tallest

I agree with you live, with all the projects that Trump has, building the highest in Charlotte wouldn't even cost that much compared to most other projects he has developed. Our "highest" mark isn't all that high compared to most cities he is building in (NO withstanding.)

I agree with you live, with all the projects that Trump has, building the highest in Charlotte wouldn't even cost that much compared to most other projects he has developed. Our "highest" mark isn't all that high compared to most cities he is building in (NO withstanding.)

[JOKE]If he was REALLY worth anything, he'd try to top CN tower with his Toronto Project [/JOKE]

As for worries about a skyline without a dominant tower a la Houston, I think if this thing goes as high as some have conjectured, thats kind of a moot point.

The Charlotte Observer says that Charlotte's economic development director says Donald Trump Jr. and his siblings are developing a plan that could lead to the tallest skyscraper in uptown Charlotte. Underground parking with 60+ stories on top is what they're looking for with offices, condos, and a 5-star hotel. So it's unofficially official. Love how the Observer and the director give a whole lot of information that really leads us no where. Tell us stuff that was pretty much already known then say it's not a done deal cause it's unknown if the property has even been acquired.

The Charlotte Observer says that Charlotte's economic development director says Donald Trump Jr. and his siblings are developing a plan that could lead to the tallest skyscraper in uptown Charlotte. Underground parking with 60+ stories on top is what they're looking for with offices, condos, and a 5-star hotel. So it's unofficially official. Love how the Observer and the director give a whole lot of information that really leads us no where. Tell us stuff that was pretty much already known then say it's not a done deal cause it's unknown if the property has even been acquired.

i know... they gave us useless information.. like we didnt know everything that was stated... Maybe this means we will being hearing about a plan really soon.

i know... they gave us useless information.. like we didnt know everything that was stated... Maybe this means we will being hearing about a plan really soon.

its worth hearing to shush all the ones that say this is just a rumor and wont happen ;) I look forward to seeing at least a 70-story tower. Its time Charlotte to reach new heights. with all the condo towers going up Charlotte's skyline can visually support a 70-story tower.

Edited by cityboi

The local media has jumped on the band wagon and reported news that everyone else, including the UrbanPlanet reader, already knew. I am inclined to believe this is a real project based on requests that I received to delete certain information that has been posted here lest it interfere with the negotiations.

That's very true. If this project disappeared, it wouldn't be the first time a new "tallest" for Charlotte had gotten to the point of being announced but never saw the light of day.

In 1999, WSOC with it's fine and excellent journalism :camera: , announced that First Union was going to build the equivalent of an 80-100 story building.

the building was cool but not in charlottes skyline haha didnt they say in the proposal that it was supposed to be around 1200' which is about 300-350' taller than BoA that thing would have stuck out like a sore thumb but hopefully this trump project will come true and lead to a beautiful new building(or maybe two with the rumored companion tower) whether its the new tallest or not

^I know that tower is heavily criticized, but I thought it would've added a new element to the skyline, and even though it would've been dramatically out of place when first built, eventually the city would grow around it, much the way the city has grown around BofA. I'm not crazy about the design, but I don't mind it either.

I don't know, I kind of like it personally. It looks like one of the Petronas Towers in Malaysia which I think are timeless pieces of architecture. My only complaint about this building is how wide the base is and the height is a bit too tall.

Edited by DaAchiever

yeah the building seems to get narrower at the top and the bottom with it being the widdest somewhere around the lower middle area at my count about the 20th floor not including the lobby but nonetheless, the width of the building is definitely not my only complaint, the architecture is not awful and would certainly bring a new element to the skyline but i dont think that i could ever actually like this architecture and certainly not at this height maybe downscaled to around 900' and the building might have been popular and ultimatley built

Since we are off topic anyway, I will add my two cents. I like the building. If that monster was built when proposed, think of the influence it would have on the boom we are going through right now. The (BofA) height barrier would have already been broken and I think more developers would have felt inclined to go tall as well. I think the building has a gothic look, which we ALL praise about Charlotte's skyline. The city would have built around this thing with complementary developments that make it look more at home. I understand how it looks strange when you plop the rendering into an image of our city at 1999, but there will always be more development. I would have been very interested to see what other towers would have gone up to complement this one.

Thats my piece, now back to trump.....